• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Safe to cold turkey off of Clonazepam(Klonopin) & Sertraline(Zoloft)?

Ted_Ruxxpin

Greenlighter
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hopefully I can get some advice.

Back in March I was prescribed Clonazepam(Klonopin) & Sertraline(Zoloft) for anxiety with flying because I had some long haul flights coming up. The flights have come and gone but I continued to use the medication as prescribed since I have social anxiety in general. My doctor has moved to another state last month but left me with a few refills and I would like to get off of these pills, just because I don't want to be dependent on medication. I would much rather meditate :)

I was taking
-150mg of Zoloft per day
-1mg of Klonopin at night to help sleep.

Last Thursday I became very sick and could not keep down any solid food or pills so I didn't take my meds for the duration of my sickness. Come Monday when I could finally eat some solid food I decided not to take my meds since I had already contemplated getting off of them.

Today was my first day back at work and started getting an almost constant "brain zap" and was feeling nauseous and it was effecting my ability to do my job. So I took 100mg of Zoloft and waited a few hours and it didn't seem to do much, in fact I started feeling more nauseous with frequent trips to the bathroom. So, in fear of it being the Klonopin that was causing these symptoms I cut a 1mg in to 4 pieces and took a .25 rather then the full 1mg because I don't want to prolong the "addiction". I took it about 30 min ago and almost feel normal again.

Anyone have any experience getting off either of these meds? Should I go cold turkey or keep taking .25 of Klonopin for a week or then quit? Any suggestion or experiences would greatly help as I'm in the middle of it and I currently don't have a physician to go to.

Thanks!

From my experience the Zoloft is most likely the cause of most of your WD symptoms. I had a horrible time weaning from Zoloft, it took over a year and I didn't take as much as you do. I also take Kpin but can go days without it and no WD symptoms. Hopefully you aren't like me and perminately damaged by the Zoloft I still get brain zaps and have sexual dis function and it's been about 7 years since I quit.

I quit zoloft cold turkey a few years ago when on it. gave me brain zaps for bout 6 months, then i returned to my normal state which is probably brain damaged from other shit. Klonopin is an addiction i kicked shortly after, i had been on 6mg every day, for years. the first few days off will make you convince yourself that your not going to have bad withdrawals, then once you hit the one week mark or so, that's when your world becomes hell, and stays that way during the whole taper process and in my case, about 2 months later. i had to be heavily medicated while withdrawing to prevent seizures, and i suggest only doing this under a doctors supervision because Klonopin withdrawals are the worst out of the benzos, your risk of siezure and suicide go through the roof.