Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

sad ends to great venues....

muzby

Bluelighter
yesterday it was all over melbourne's news that the palace entertainment complex has burned (nearly) to the ground in what appears to be a lebanese fire sale..

and so ends the path of a great venue... oh yes, it had been shut as of june long weekend, but the council still planned to use it for some live music until the area was redeveloped.... and it got me thinking about the memories (and lack of) from that place...

twister (shudder)
bass station (double shudder!)
slinky (well, more than one.. so is that slinkii?)
live bands...

so many fun nights.. all gone..

and what about wonderland sydney a couple of great utopias there.. great fun... now its been demolished for an industrial estate.... once again, great memories that you can never relive once the stage has gone...

for old skool canberrans, it was the same when heaven went... now it's offices!!!

so.. what about any others??

Up here in Brisbane, a few places that hold great memories for me are/were:

The Tube (so many great nights there... one that stands out was Paul Van Dyk in 1999).

The Roxy: The building is still there, but it was renamed to Arena. It's not a club, more of a rave/concert venue. I saw The Crystal Method there in 1997. Best. Night. Ever. I went to a heap of fantastic old raves at that place, Brunswick St would be closed down, and The Roxy, The Tube and The Site (another great now non-existent club) would all be made into different arenas. Huge HUGE, fantastic nights.

There are a few more, but they're the ones that really stick in my mind.

Haha I went to a Utopia at Wonderland :)

I miss that place. There's not exactly any other theme parks around this area of the country. Luna Park sucks.

Not a venue but sort of related it sucks that Old Sydney Town shut down. It was without a doubt one of the best educational tools this country had in relation to colonial Australia.

Metro is Melb has also been bought out by real estate developers. So prepare for the loss of another venue.

i've only been to a few thins at the metro but i love it as a venue. i remember when the patch, the playroom & fisherman's wharf on the gold coast all closed down within about a year. leaving the gold coast without any live music venus8o

is it still the same up there now? i haven't been home in a few years.

lostpunk5545 said:
Not a venue but sort of related it sucks that Old Sydney Town shut down. It was without a doubt one of the best educational tools this country had in relation to colonial Australia.

I used to love going in the stocks and seeing the little play where the convist escape into the water, great shit.

Once we went there and a kid had his head in the stocks and everyone came up behind him and, what we used to call back then, bumjacked him.

gold... GOOOOOOOOLD!

^ haha :D

School excursions to Old Sydney Town were great, getting all dressed up in convict gear.

I miss wonderland too. So many good memories of that place.

I say it was an insurance write off.. too convenient really.. Fire is the easiest way to get rid of asbestos

Last edited:
eggman88888 said:
I used to love going in the stocks and seeing the little play where the convist escape into the water, great shit.

Once we went there and a kid had his head in the stocks and everyone came up behind him and, what we used to call back then, bumjacked him.

gold... GOOOOOOOOLD!

Haha bumjacked is a word I haven't heard in about a billion years* :)

* Not real estimate.

Whats a Lebanese fire sale?

Sorry to hear about your favorite venue burning down.

Haha Will said Canberra and oldskool!! :D

Yes, very sad. Sublime Pitt St and Icebox, Kellet St. Both goneeee...

Oh and Kryal... that place was awesome but shame they'll never, ever have another Kryal again because the last one they had was definitely, definitely the last one evah!

deeCee said:
I say it was an insurance write off.. too convenient really.. Fire is the easiest way to get rid of asbestos

I agree. Its a little convenient isn't it?

As for venues....In my virgin raving days in Hobart there was this sweet as building on Liverpool St (I think)...it was massive and they had the hugest parties there. Can't remember what they're called either..but then they shut it all down and it was to be turned into offices. Bummer.

DJC* said:
Sublime Pitt St

Those were the days! Back room of Voodoo went off! =D

DJC* said:
and Icebox, Kellet St. Both goneeee...

I had the chance to DJ there.It was different indeed,the name was spot on.It had some good nights on there.

I also,miss:-

Castles on Castlereagh St. Nice little venue,that had some good rave club nights there,and drinks prices were cheap for the city :) .

samadhi said:
Up here in Brisbane, a few places that hold great memories for me are/were:

The Tube (so many great nights there... one that stands out was Paul Van Dyk in 1999).

The Roxy: The building is still there, but it was renamed to Arena. It's not a club, more of a rave/concert venue. I saw The Crystal Method there in 1997. Best. Night. Ever. I went to a heap of fantastic old raves at that place, Brunswick St would be closed down, and The Roxy, The Tube and The Site (another great now non-existent club) would all be made into different arenas. Huge HUGE, fantastic nights.

There are a few more, but they're the ones that really stick in my mind.

I could'nt agree more, I hold The Tube probably as my favr club, but I also hold The Site in high regard as it was the first club I ever went to for a rave :)

Remember that night that The Site had Sasha playing, and The Roxy also billed Sasha? (Clash Of The Titans I think)
The Sasha at The Roxy ended up being some dude from the gold coast wearing a mask hahahha