• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Nostalgia S&G Video Game Nostalgia Thread

One day i'll buy all the games i miss from my childhood. Both zeldas on N64 and starfox adventures on GC that I was unable to finish because of lack of time.....No more stoned mario kart parties at my place though, fuck off.
They'll be $1000 a piece if you wait much longer :rolleyes:

A-Train (1990)

I spent waaaaay too many hours building up railway empires, cities and skyscrapers...

3339_dbs1.png

a-train_5.gif

Not sure how I haven't seen this thread earlier. I'll be adding several posts over the coming weeks.

I don't understand any of the acronyms you're using, but those games look pretty cool :D

Chuckie Egg (BBC Micro 1983) - I was pretty good at this one

I was going to say I've never heard of most of your games but this one reminded me of Burgertime....

View attachment 14580

Burger time. some insane old school fun. I think I made it to level 5. Which isnt that far. But hard as fuck

It was hard. Like Donkey Kong and Pacman had sex and made this bastard.

Still some of the best one-liners in video game history.

On steam, they have an updated graphics version of Full Throttle I was considering getting. I never got the hang of playing the original, but was enthralled with the theme, interactions, and most especially the dialogue. The revamped version has the exact same audio and play thru, they just cleaned up the graphics for 4k gaming.

I still remember a couple cheat codes for one of the AoE games.

One was pepperoni pizza.

=D

Anyone play battle for middle earth 2 or StarCraft? I never got into them but they are similar to AoE.

Loved Starcraft II along with Age of Empires 2 and Red Alert 1 +2 + Yuri's Revenge. Wasn't "Pepperoni Pizza" the cheat for that sports car that shot rockets or something? The only cheat I remember is ";!rosebud" which gave you unlimited money in The Sims, but you had to keep inputting it because it gave you like $1000 Sim bucks or whatever at a time.

Reactions: CFC
Some memories from childhood:
wolfenstein-soldat.jpg
te
(Wolfenstein 3D on PC)
maxresdefault.jpg

(Super Smash Bros on N64)
perfect-dark-n64-review.jpg

(Perfect Dark on N64)
twistedmetal-d67a1be44687490eac2bb35d2d2d092b.jpg

(Twisted Metal on PS1)

79c4abdb00e41fd49b87177b7bbd20a2.gif

(Red Alert 1 on PC)

maxresdefault.jpg

(Crash Bandicoot on PS1)

file75kq77eqnqd1bsk9jxe.jpg

(Quake 3 on PC)
maxresdefault.jpg

(Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64)

Man, all these games bring me back. There are so many more, but I'll leave it there for now.

Loved Starcraft II along with Age of Empires 2 and Red Alert 1 +2 + Yuri's Revenge. Wasn't "Pepperoni Pizza" the cheat for that sports car that shot rockets or something? The only cheat I remember is ";!rosebud" which gave you unlimited money in The Sims, but you had to keep inputting it because it gave you like $1000 Sim bucks or whatever at a time.

I thought pepperoni pizza was for like 1,000 wood or some resource.

But i also texted by boss saying sorry i missed worked when i didn't even miss work.

So fuck my memory.

I thought pepperoni pizza was for like 1,000 wood or some resource.

But i also texted by boss saying sorry i missed worked when i didn't even miss work.

So fuck my memory.

One time I took a bunch of valium, smoked some opium and had a few beers when I was going to cross the border from Laos to Thailand. I literally remember catching the moto-taxi to the border crossing and then I woke up in my apt in Thailand with my shoes on and absolutely no memory of crossing the border, the bus ride to my city in N.Thailand or the cab ride to my place. So, I woke up in a different country lol. Anyhow, take it easy dude, don't wanna lose your gig. I got real lucky with that shit (I had a bunch of opium, valium and pot on me and somehow made it through without incident...otherwise i woulda woken up in a prison I suspect). Now.... back to video games eh?

Last edited:
Beneath a Steel Sky (1994) - a cyberpunk science fiction point-and-click adventure game developed by Revolution Software and published by Virgin Interactive Entertainment for MS-DOS and Commodore Amiga home computers. I took a very long bad cold (*cough cough*) off school in 1994 to complete this:

an updated graphics version of Full Throttle I was considering getting.

I picked up a remaster of some sort on GoG a while back, totally worth it. Grabbed the Monkey's Island games as well, they also stand up well, from a writing point of view, anyway. Pirate Insult Fencing is still some of the most entertaining shit, ever.

Nice, I picked this one up on GoG as well, but never got around to it.

A did a playthrough and now I'm trying to figure out to make my own 3 d glasses instead of spending the $3 dollars so I can do a second playthrough with futuristic effects. I have sandwich bags and permanent marker, I'll try that first.

Before:
3d-worldrunner-01.gif

After:
220px-3dworldrunner_3deffect.png

Still not getting time for this thread. I wanted to drown you all in old shit and show my age, but no time for that. Instead, a few quick shout outs

First game(s) played:

Lunar Lander (TRS-80)
maxresdefault.jpg

Zork series
220px-Zork_I_box_art.jpg

ss_4f7dba9b77d65a9871062cd367cf79133d19e0c4.1920x1080.jpg

Nord & Bert
images

images

Each chapter of Nord and Bert is dedicated to a different style of wordplay. The first seven chapters can be played in any order, since each exists as an independent "short story" unrelated to the other chapters; to begin the eighth, however, the player must provide seven "passwords" provided by completing each of the other sections.

The only effort made to interlink the separate parts of the game is as follows: reality has somehow been altered around the town of Punster. Idioms and clichés are suddenly manifesting themselves quite literally, and it falls to the player, as it always does, to sort things out.
^^Those who played Nord & Bert can really appreciate the word play it brought. To solve the game, you had to know your puns, so when you came to apple cart, you had to upturn it, or when you found some milk, you had to spill it and cry over it.

= = = = =

Youth mostly on Atari (got 100 game package off Steam, but doesn't feel the same, esp without the same input devices). Also a lot of time spent in an arcade would have several dozen games listed, but one that sticks with me is

Time Pilot
images

^^You flew your jet (center screen) against other flying enemies who progressed technologically as you advanced thru the stages, going from bi-planes, to helicopters, to space ships.

= = == =

A lot of my middle-late years have been spent on PCs with RTS (Starcraft and the like) and Turn-Based (Civ series), but I'm on Steam and picked up a semi-obscure game I really liked at the time:

Impossible Creatures

Its unique feature is that the armies used are all created by the player. The armies consist of 9 creatures; each one is a combination of any two animals from a list of 76 (51 with no downloads). Many animals possess inherent abilities to add more strategic depth to the game. There is an extensive single-player campaign as well as online multiplayer functionality with different game modes, add-ons, custom maps, mods, and scenarios.

Set in a 1940's rugged explorer theme, there's good dialogue at times, and all cutscenes (adapted for your current game state) have that 40's feel to them, complete with snark remarks from our supporting heroine, mindless oaf minions, villains, and lead good guy who is struggling with his main plotline. There is a bit of replayability, in that your collection of creatures to mix-n-match for your army is limited by what animals you can find and capture for DNA samples. This provides minor variance, but ultimately it was a one-and-done campaign play for me over a decade ago that I've simply come back to for that same one-thru experience. Though, now I can explore add ons and mods.

ic00004.jpg

2pOhJD0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ss_3afd8e924ae2ea4749ebddd7c4ef3bbc94998590.1920x1080.jpg

images

A did a playthrough and now I'm trying to figure out to make my own 3 d glasses instead of spending the $3 dollars so I can do a second playthrough with futuristic effects. I have sandwich bags and permanent marker, I'll try that first.

Before:
3d-worldrunner-01.gif

After:
220px-3dworldrunner_3deffect.png
I spent the 3 bucks. It's lit.

To some of the older gamers, did you guys ever expect video games to get to where they are now at the rate they did? By the time I was really making memories the PS1 had ran it's course and everyone was getting hyped for PS2.

Had one of these as a kid, bought it at a garage sale for cheap as fuck. Have no idea what ever happened to it bit I wish I did. It'd one of the most valuable things for the NES these days. Pretty sure my mother either sold it at one of her garage sales or threw it away... it was fun as hell when I would do the long jump I would cheat and jump off to the side, lol.

Stadium-Events-cover.jpg

isteidumevents01.png

maxresdefault.jpg

World-class-track-meet-screenshot.png

Still have my copy of Yellow. Battery died so it won't save any more, but if you open those old cartridges up there's always an easy to replace watch battery that you can swap out to give it 20 more years of life. It's usually soldered in though, had to pry it out with a flathead on my Silver version. Just used tape to hold the new battery in (don't trust my soldering skills lol), no failure to save yet seven years later.

Madden 05, I remember this was the first one I truly got obsessed with. This one started the hit stick and I remember I loved laying people out with it. I've played many, many, many games of Madden in many different years since 05, but I'll always remember this one first and foremost.