• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

S-Adenosyl methionine for post mdma hangover

alantis360

Bluelighter
So sometimes after doing too much mdma I will get sort of burnt out. I normally exorcise, eat right and take 5htp (which helps a lot). I have some of this stuff tho, S-Adenosyl methionine. In the store it's sold as SAMe. I have taken it before and it kind of makes me feel good. I came across this when trying to research how it works:

"Methionine is a vital amino acid that is broken down in the liver to S-Adenosyl-Methionine (SAMe). It's exact mechanisms are not well known yet but it is thought to increase the sensitivity of various neuro-receptors that bind the transmitters Serotonin, Norepinephrine and Dopamine, or to improve the ability of these transmitters to bind to their receptors. It has been postulated that when SAMe is given as a supplement, it increases the synthesis of Serotonin, Norepinephrine and Dopamine.

Sidenote: SAMe also accumulates in the synopvial fluid that lubricates joints. Certain chemicals that result from the breakdown of SAMe can relieve pain and inflammation which is why SAMe can be used to relieve arthritic pain and inflammation."

So I was wondering if it could actually facilitate more serotonin or drain more of it? Like could it be a good supplement to take along with 5htp when recovering from mdma?

Making sure to get enough to eat and a good night's sleep will play a much larger role in recovery than taking SAMe does.

Lots of compounds are claimed to "increase synthesis of serotonin/dopamine". That does not mean that they will always do so in healthy individuals, or that it's even desirable.

Usually your body has mechanisms to regulate the synthesis of neurotransmitters, so you always have enough, but never too much. (For instance, most 5HTP you ingest is not converted into centrally active serotonin; it is metabolised in the body before it even makes it into the brain. Otherwise, you would get rather flushed and uncomfortable every time you ate something rich in tryptophan.) Usually taking more precursors or cofactors won't do much aside from make your body excrete the extras.

In general, supplements like SAMe won't have much of an effect beyond placebo if you are eating properly. You can probably save your money and spend it elsewhere.

More specifically, though, SAMe is poorly absorbed (so you need to take it in high doses, daily, to maintain a significant blood level) and Wikipedia says it carries some risks like insomnia and upset stomach. Depending on how much you're taking and in what forms, you may not even be ingesting enough to get effects. And more importantly, it's already made in your body.

You wold probably be better off ingesting things your body doesn't already make - like fish oils (omega 3 and 6 fatty acids), vitamin C, minerals (Ca Mg Zn Fe), stuff like that.
Those have a more definite effect with fewer side effects, and are probably cheaper too.

Last edited:
Making sure to get enough to eat and a good night's sleep will play a much larger role in recovery than taking SAMe does.

Lots of compounds are claimed to "increase synthesis of serotonin/dopamine". That does not mean that they will always do so in healthy individuals, or that it's even desirable.

Usually your body has mechanisms to regulate the synthesis of neurotransmitters, so you always have enough, but never too much. (For instance, most 5HTP you ingest is not converted into centrally active serotonin; it is metabolised in the body before it even makes it into the brain. Otherwise, you would get rather flushed and uncomfortable every time you ate something rich in tryptophan.) Usually taking more precursors or cofactors won't do much aside from make your body excrete the extras.

In general, supplements like SAMe won't have much of an effect beyond placebo if you are eating properly. You can probably save your money and spend it elsewhere.

More specifically, though, SAMe is poorly absorbed (so you need to take it in high doses, daily, to maintain a significant blood level) and Wikipedia says it carries some risks like insomnia and upset stomach. Depending on how much you're taking and in what forms, you may not even be ingesting enough to get effects. And more importantly, it's already made in your body.

You wold probably be better off ingesting things your body doesn't already make - like fish oils (omega 3 and 6 fatty acids), vitamin C, minerals (Ca Mg Zn Fe), stuff like that.
Those have a more definite effect with fewer side effects, and are probably cheaper too.
Would things like SAMe and 5-HTP increase natural levels of serotonin if taken for say a week with a sufficient dosage?

For sure sekio. Most importantly after mdma abuse I will eat/sleep/ hit the gym daily. If I am kind of burnt out tho I definitely feel 5htp. It will improve my mood and always gives me a massive boner. I was just wondering about the SAMe since I can definitely feel it when I take it, it's kind of nice. I just dont wanna take anything that will further deplete my chemical. I have lots of fish oil , I will start taking that as well.

Would things like SAMe and 5-HTP increase natural levels of serotonin

In general: no. At best, consumption of e.g. 5HTP will cause a temporary rise in body serotonin levels, but to increase baseline levels, social activity and exercise are better options.

Last edited: