• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

12.5 miles, nice thegreenhand.

yeah, Catflap, overtraining and injury are a big part of running for me. i hate lifting but it's necessary to run.

I’m curious what makes you suggest the forerunner over the apple watch? I don’t really know much about either but I am in the market for a new watch and those were my two main choices. Mind sharing your thoughts a little more?
suggestion comes with the disclaimer that i haven't ever owned and apple watch. researching both online, it sounds like it just depends on your reasons for buying, i suggest the forerunner because it is so running and workout forward. the default display screen includes how many miles your down that week. as you click through the other screen, you get info like your last recorded vo2 max, your last run, last bike, weekly workout load, upcoming training session, etc. garmin connect gives better significantly better metrics and guidance than any other no or paid workout app i've encountered. it's entirely workout forward in its native form. yes it will show you unrelated texts, calls, alerts, whatever going off on your iphone, but that's secondary. it is first and foremost there to encourage you to improve your performance.

the apple watch supposedly can give you comparable metrics, but people say they have four different apps going during there run in pursuit of what garmin connect offers. apple battery life is less than a day and garmin lasts all week or longer even if you workout with it every day. the apple watch does have ecg built-in where as garmin forerunner 245 only has optical, but the forerunner auto connect to the garmin chest heart rate monitor which is the only way to go if you want the most accurate read reasonably available during your workout.

if you want a communication device that can also do workouts, apple watch is probably it. if you want a running watch that also has some auxiliary communication features, forerunner 245 is it.

you play piano, i assume? i just sold a bunch of my guitar stuff and got an fp-10.

Last edited:
12.5 miles, nice thegreenhand.

yeah, Catflap, overtraining and injury are a big part of running for me. i hate lifting but it's necessary to run.

suggestion comes with the disclaimer that i haven't ever owned and apple watch. researching both online, it sounds like it just depends on your reasons for buying, i suggest the forerunner because it is so running and workout forward. the default display screen includes how many miles your down that week. as you click through the other screen, you get info like your last recorded vo2 max, your last run, last bike, weekly workout load, upcoming training session, etc. garmin connect gives better significantly better metrics and guidance than any other no or paid workout app i've encountered. it's entirely workout forward in its native form. yes it will show you unrelated texts, calls, alerts, whatever going off on your iphone, but that's secondary. it is first and foremost there to encourage you to improve your performance.

the apple watch supposedly can give you comparable metrics, but people say they have four different apps going during there run in pursuit of what garmin connect offers. apple battery life is less than a day and garmin lasts all week or longer even if you workout with it every day. the apple watch does have ecg built-in where as garmin forerunner 245 only has optical, but the forerunner auto connect to the garmin chest heart rate monitor which is the only way to go if you want the most accurate read reasonably available during your workout.

if you want a communication device that can also do workouts, apple watch is probably it. if you want a running watch that also has some auxiliary communication features, forerunner 245 is it.

you play piano, i assume? i just sold a bunch of my guitar stuff and got an fp-10.
Hmm that's a toughie because the main reason I was sort of leaning towards an appe watch was its ability to make calls/texts (if you get a cellular equipped one). It would be nice to have that on runs and then I don't have to carry my phone. I don't like bringing it with me but my loved ones always want me to have it in case something goes wrong. The apple watch would fit that niche quite nicely.

On the other hand "serious" runners all seem to like the garmins presumably due to the reasons you mentioned in regards to workout data. I don't necessarily care if I see my workout data on the watch itself or on my phone/laptop after syncing it. I may be leaning slightly towards the apple

And I wouldn't call myself too much of a keyboardist haha I'm more of a producer I just thought it was a cool pic of my keyboard that my friend took. What kind of music are you into?

That's perfectly fine. Mine goes to about 120 for EASY runs and up to 175 for tempo runs. It also depends a lot on your resting heart rate, do you know what yours is? But as long you're not having heart pains or anything like that I wouldn't worry too much

Just checked my resting heart rate... 106... I've had 5-6 beers but nothing else. I should probably go to the doctor??? Kinda worried. I have a history of heart disease in my family, especially my mother's side. Countless male relatives died in their 40s/50s due to heart disease/strokes... :/

Just checked my resting heart rate... 106... I've had 5-6 beers but nothing else. I should probably go to the doctor??? Kinda worried. I have a history of heart disease in my family, especially my mother's side. Countless male relatives died in their 40s/50s due to heart disease/strokes... :/
Hmm that's pretty high, considering the famly history it can't hurt to get checked out. Better safe than sorry. Mine is about 45 but keep in mind I've been running/being active most of my life.

sounds like an apple watch is for you. if you have an iphone, the forerunner can’t even respond to a text (because apple makes their devices incompatible with anything not made by apple). it can’t do anything communication wise if it’s not connected by bluetooth to your phone. even then, it doesn’t do anything practical besides tell you who’s calling and display texts.

and i mostly listen to pop music, so i think a keyboard will make more sense than guitar. though i’m three days into it so currently currently playing jingle bells with the metronome on blast. cool you’re into music production.

Last edited:
I always thought my (low) resting heart rate of 40-50 bpm was correlated with a family history of heart disease. Maybe it’s just all the running lol

As an aside, with my recent strength training I’ve been able to run comfortably 2 or 3x a week. Lately I’ve been running long intervals or shorter harder intervals of about 40 mins total in the conservation area.

Been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, after an ultrasound though. An appointment with the surgeon is coming. Tbh it’s Bumming me out, as I’m not looking forward to all the time off exercise for recovery.

In the meantime the Dr says I cban continue to exercise at my current level so long as t doesn’t cause any pain (which would be a sign to stop)

i had inguinal hernia surgery recently. you won’t be out for long. i was shocked by how quickly my doc was like do whatever you want you can’t fuck up the procedure at this point. you can go for long walks about two weeks after, and not too long after that you can run. i did get netting and nonrobotic. former probably increases heal time.

still sucks. hope all goes well. enjoy that fent/mida shot.

The apple watch is probably the move then. Just gotta save up some more first haha.

Keyboard is hella fun. It's also a bit more intuitive for music theory I would say. You would be surprised how quickly you can learn some of your favorite songs. You won't necessarily understand all the theory beneath it (I certainly don't at least) but your fingers will come around. The first actual song I ever learned was Heard em Say by Kanye. Now i mainly use my keyboard for laying down chords and basic melodies in my tracks. Nothing fancy or technical. If yours has midi you can ply all sorts of synths on it too which is fun as hell lol

i did about 18k this week. i'm trying to up my mileage as i need to improve my fitness before a hiking holiday. i know 18k is not a huge amount but given the state of my health 18 months ago it feels like an achievement. i did 3x5k and 1x3k. i don't really know if once my legs get used to this much, its better to start trying to do longer runs, or run more often. longer runs is probably more realistic but then its the question of whether to try to add a lot of mileage to one run per week, or a little to every one. any advice would be appreciated.

^18k in a week is huge. congrats, @chinup.

been back into running prompted by my road bike needing repairs (only took them a day; i don’t take days off). run two 5ks this week. pretty fast because i’ve been biking. now that i have my bike back i’m alternating between biking and running. one today, the other the next.

can’t wait to get back into the gym. they're open. covid nightmare.

been back into running prompted by my road bike needing repairs (only took them a day; i don’t take days off). run two 5ks this week. pretty fast because i’ve been biking. now that i have my bike back i’m alternating between biking and running. one today, the other the next.

Your body will thank you for that alternation. Running everyday kills my lower half lol

thank you! hoping to get back out today after 4 days off.

glad you got out even if its cold and shitty outside.

i'm terrible, running is the only exercise i do, i used to do pilates too but stopped when i go back into employment and never picked it back up. i at least make sure to stretch before and after.

4 mile run today 25:22 personal best at that distance. Average pace 6:20/mile

Last edited:

This is what I do as well (run one day bike one day) because running every day fucks my knees up.

Never knew this thread existed! I love running, I do 5k a day and a long run at weekend. This week has been the first in about 18 weeks I haven’t run for 2 days in a row. Did a 5 mile local race last weekend and got 33:43. Reaching for that 30 mins and it’s alluding me.

wow well done!! i find it really hard to up my pace on my own. i got my 5k time down by 4 minutes, to just over 30 by doing parkrun every week and quitting smoking.

i got a smart watch for christmas and it claims my 5k today was 40 mins!!! it was very muddy and there were a lot of people and uneven terrain but still that is embarassing. anyway now i can actually track my times and distances properly i'm hoping i will be able to improve my pace.

plus i have the massive motivation of having weighed myself- 13 fucking stone seriously and bmi is 27 so officially overweight. i was 8 when i went to rehab, less than 7 when i went to inpatient treatment for anorexia so now i can't get my kicks from drugs or starvation i've clearly been overindulging in the biscuits. its scary needing to lose weight cos anorexia was the worst hell i've been in but i can't keep hating myself like this.

wow well done!! i find it really hard to up my pace on my own. i got my 5k time down by 4 minutes, to just over 30 by doing parkrun every week and quitting smoking.

i got a smart watch for christmas and it claims my 5k today was 40 mins!!! it was very muddy and there were a lot of people and uneven terrain but still that is embarassing. anyway now i can actually track my times and distances properly i'm hoping i will be able to improve my pace.

plus i have the massive motivation of having weighed myself- 13 fucking stone seriously and bmi is 27 so officially overweight. i was 8 when i went to rehab, less than 7 when i went to inpatient treatment for anorexia so now i can't get my kicks from drugs or starvation i've clearly been overindulging in the biscuits. its scary needing to lose weight cos anorexia was the worst hell i've been in but i can't keep hating myself like this.
Haha yeah I’ve anorexia myself tbh.

It is so hard when you’ve had an ED because we know all the unhealthy ways to lose weight quick but we also know the healthy ways. Most people put on weight over Christmas and winter anyway I’m sure it’ll even out in it’s own time though.

urgh i'm sorry you've had anorexia too. its fucking awful. like if i had to pick which of my vices to die from i'd choose anything over anorexia. its the closest to fully fully insane i've ever been. like when i was using drugs i knew i shouldn't be using and new the consequences made it not sane to continue, but i wanted to do it like at least some of the time there was some payoff to using. with anorexia i didn't really want to do it i was just petrified of eating, l remember waking up one morning and bananas no longer being allowed and i knew that's fucking ridiculous. but there was no way i was gonna risk the wrath of my brain if i went ahead and ate a banana. so i knew intellectually that it was ok to eat a banana but it just seemed completely impossible for me and that was very frightening.

i honestly thought i was gonna die, even when i left IP i expected to die and the psychiatrist in charge basically said as much. BUT they had given me a massive daily clonazepam dose so i found it easy to swap demons to stay the hell out of there.

its definitely true that we know the healthy ways to lose weight, what i'm less sure about is whether we have the means to apply them!

its snowed today so i don't really know if i should run. its kinda beautiful but i'm not sure if i'll risk injuring myself.