• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

Got back into running again
But irritated my Achilles tendon because I was too lazy to stretch
3rd week off. Hoping to get going again soon

^injuries are the worst. make me want to believe in a god just so i can renounce it.

was about to skip the gym today. then i started watching track videos on youtube. went at 11pm. though they hit you with fees five ways sidewise, 24 hour, 365 day gyms are pretty sweet. 197 flights tonight. 4 miles yesterday.

was watching and am about to start watching one mile races. is the perfect distance. short enough to actively watch from start to finish. long enough to involve endurance and pacing. and while i’ve haven’t raced a mile myself, i have a solid grasp on what that distance is and means.

I really fell off the wagon there.

But some New Years resolutions have held and after a few months of strength conditioning I’ve slowly increased my warm up cardio (recumbent bike and rowing machine).

My Achilles‘ tendon (? Outside of my ankle and up my leg) is still tight. It almost feels like it’s ripping when I lean too far/stretch it. But I’ve been stretching it out before my workouts and it’s getting substantially better.

So i decided it was time to get running again. In an attempt to mitigate injuries I dug out my stretching routine. I start with some dynamic moves, then head into 5 reps of static stretches held for 2 seconds and then roll out my feet with a lacrosse ball. Most of the time it takes like 20 minutes and some days that’s more than my run lol

The paths were still covered in ice in the conservation areas at first so the first few weeks were slow going. But it proved a good start.

Started out just one run a week. But the last few weeks I’ve managed 2. I’ll likely stay here for a bit as the paths are still frozen (tho less ice covered and slippery lol) and it feels hard on my legs/lower back.

But it’s nice to be back

hell yeah. the right season to get back into it is upon us.

i’ve been biking like crazy because it’s my obsession and i’m bonkers about it. i’m gonna get back to throwing runs in the mix as well. means i’ll have to start going to the gym a bit, because if i’m not doing some strength exercising i’ll get injured running for sure.

Took a bike with the kiddo in the woods yesterday and it seems just tossing stuff in the garage mucked the large derailer as it won’t shift (and Ive no bike smarts). Lots of free time tho so I’ll look up vids today and see if I can’t fix it
But Ya I wasn’t doing any strength stuff in November when I got injured. But my gym just closed. Thankfully I bought a whack of weights, adjustable DBs and a bar before getting lazy...

But without a squat rack I reached a point I couldn’t press enough weight for squats and just stopped... but that was a number of years ago and those gains are long gone lol... so these weights will suffice until this crap blows over or kills off the weak (I’m honestly not sure which will come first) but I’m trying to stay positive and just keep busy.

Got the weights out and started a modified starting strength routine due to the lack of a rack. Doing a m/w/f

So I figured given two days off I could squeeze in a LD run (read jog) with tomorrow to recover.
I have no way to track distances and as its in the conservation area so google maps is no help but it was nearly an hour.
Hoping to get up to the school this week and run some intervals around the track. Maybe some little hills tomorrow

In the meantime my calves are screaming... going to need some yoga today lol

awesome you are still at it, tired of crap. leg press helps my calves. so does cycling, but that's a bigger commitment to pickup than adding leg press to your strength training.

edit:
oh, i see your gym closed. bummer. everything is closing. once the 7-eleven across the street from me closes, i'll know the world is truly shut down. at the moment, they're still 24/7.

trying out the garmin coach feature. digital coach jeff galloway is going to get me to a 47 minute 10k in 14 weeks. did the benchmark run yesterday. today did cadence, glide, and speed drills. the speed drills were a challenge. 4 x 1/2 mile at a target pace of 7:15 - 7:35 with 3 min recovery in between each set. outta shape after my last falling off with drugs.

I did an easy 6.5 this morning. I've always been an evening runner but my job is forcing me to switch to early morning if I wanna keep running. My body didn't feel "woken up" until about 2/3 of the way through. Mentally it was wonderful. The city was quiet and the smog wasn't nearly as thick as it typically is in the evening.

nice. i used to wake up at 4:30am to run before work. at another point in life, i brought my running clothes to work and drove straight to my spot after, running at about 6 - 6:30pm. each worked perfectly and then i couldn’t imagine it any other way. now both sound horrible and i always workout between breakfast and lunch. all about routine for me.

Yep routine is the key. Changing it is the hard part lol. When I was still at school this year I would have class/studying most of the day and then have to go to work after. I'd get home at like 11 pm and then I would go on my run. I definitely looked crazy running shirtless through the city but it was a wonderful time to run. Nobody was out, cool weather, just ultimate peace. And then the quick shower + meal and pass tf out. Ah good times

had to look up magic mile, sounds like a good idea. i keep thinking i should try to take my running more seriously, i've upped it over the lockdown but lack the discipline to do a proper schedule, and never take my phone or anything i could use to track my time/distance.

^glad to hear you’re still at it.

recently got my brother to download strava and track his runs with his smart phone. he’s obsessed with it now. prior he was doing the run from the microwave or radio clock and back thing that i’m sure all runners are familiar with. trying to get him to buy an apple (his choice) or forerunner (my suggestion) watch. he doesn’t want to spend the money and i’m trying to explain to him how it will revolutionize his cardio routine (a heart rate monitor changes everything).

hill repeats today. was easy on my heart and lungs so i thought i wasn’t getting a real workout. i can feel it in my calfs now and see i did not waste a run.

Last edited:
^glad to hear you’re still at it.

recently got my brother to download strava and track his runs with his smart phone. he’s obsessed with it now. prior he was doing the run from the microwave or radio clock and back thing that i’m sure all runners are familiar with. trying to get him to buy an apple (his choice) or forerunner (my suggestion) watch. he doesn’t want to spend the money and i’m trying to explain to him how it will revolutionize his cardio routine (a heart rate monitor changes everything).

hill repeats today. was easy on my heart and lungs so i thought i wasn’t getting a real workout. i can feel it in my calfs now and see i did not waste a run.
I’m curious what makes you suggest the forerunner over the apple watch? I don’t really know much about either but I am in the market for a new watch and those were my two main choices. Mind sharing your thoughts a little more?

hahaha hydro that's cool about your brother, maybe i should get something like that, i fucking love data and am sure it would drive me to improve.

glad you did not waste your run, must mean that your heart and lung function is improving!!

today is supposed to be my long run (about an hour for me, so not that long lol) day and its raining all day. i will still do it though because i didn't even take a walk the past 2 days.

I really want to start running again. As a guy, I hate lifting weights, but I always enjoyed running and would get a runners high after ~2-3 miles.

I'm really out of shape though these days. Last time I started running again I tore my groin muscle (probably due to improper butterfly stretch pre-run and running uphill).

I tend to push myself a little too hard sometimes.

Also, my heart rate routinely goes up to 180-185bpm even on light jogs... kinda conerning.

Is that normal? :/ (31yr old male)

12.5 mile trail run this morning. 8:45 pace. Feeling high as ever but sore as hell lol

I really want to start running again. As a guy, I hate lifting weights, but I always enjoyed running and would get a runners high after ~2-3 miles.

I'm really out of shape though these days. Last time I started running again I tore my groin muscle (probably due to improper butterfly stretch pre-run and running uphill).

I tend to push myself a little too hard sometimes.

Also, my heart rate routinely goes up to 180-185bpm even on light jogs... kinda conerning.

Is that normal? :/ (31yr old male)
That's perfectly fine. Mine goes to about 120 for EASY runs and up to 175 for tempo runs. It also depends a lot on your resting heart rate, do you know what yours is? But as long you're not having heart pains or anything like that I wouldn't worry too much

I’m determined to to start running. Had a go on the gym treadmill inDecember just to see how far I could get. I was amazed to to find that I made it to 5k. Unfortunately that initial success left me overconfident in my abilities. From then on I just expected to set off on a 5k run no bother. I’m a bit lazy and don’t tend to warm up properly and really should be doing some core strengthening exercises too.

Managed to Injure myself in March (felt something to pop in my hip), that I’m only just about recovering from. Anyway, I’m off to rehab today which includes gym membership and yoga classes, so I should be out running again soon.

Will post again on thread, but as I’m due in rehab today I’m not sure what sort of access I’ll have to the Internet for a while. Will catch up later.