• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

pretty much a mile is going to equal roughly 100 calories burned for most people, walking or running. uphill it would make sense that more are burned i guess. also the amount of calories burned will be less if the person in question has a more efficient gait, which comes from repetition (walking or running a hell of a lot)

Nice job Wyld! The longest I've run nonstop in the past calendar year has been 3 miles. Hoping I can get up to 5 miles / 8 km on a regular basis, but right now I'm more focused on gaining weight rather than cardio fitness.

Thanks! I like to keep up my cardio for my Krav Maga training, mtn biking and snowboarding. Its the one activity I can tie to every thing I do.

First cold day of the year today. I had forgotten, running in 60 degree weather is about as difficult as taking a nap.

^I run all winter. Depending on where I've lived, I've gone running when it was as cold as -20F, not counting the wind chill. Where I am now, the snow line is only a few 100 feet up the mountain above me. It's only a few inches deep, but it's mostly crusty ice. I will go up there and try trail running with my crampons (over my trail running shoes) and a pair of trekking poles.

Got a "running shirt" for Christmas, but for some reason it has an Adidas logo right over the left pectoral. Now I have only one nipple left.

It's my fault for thinking it was some non abrasive type of paint (seeing as it's officially a running shirt).

Picture a halo of blood around the logo here:

adidas_response_short_sleeve_tee.jpg

All running shirts will do that depending on how much you sweat and/or how cold it is. You might need to invest in nipple protection. ;)

I want to get back into running now that I am in a place where the air is not so thin.

I'll do what I did before start out slow, gradually work my way up, and for a longer distance and time and at a faster speed but I will not do very long distances or run akin to marathon training.

I'm not a gym member but when I was I preferred to run on elliptical machines instead of treadmills. I can always run outdoors though but I prefer to run outside in the summer or spring and not when it's cold. Does anyone else here prefer to run outdoors or if indoors on an elliptical machine instead of a treadmill?

I want to get back into running now that I am in a place where the air is not so thin.

I'll do what I did before start out slow, gradually work my way up, and for a longer distance and time and at a faster speed but I will not do very long distances or run akin to marathon training.

I'm not a gym member but when I was I preferred to run on elliptical machines instead of treadmills. I can always run outdoors though but I prefer to run outside in the summer or spring and not when it's cold. Does anyone else here prefer to run outdoors or if indoors on an elliptical machine instead of a treadmill?

Same here, it is still different if you are running outside, you get to be challenged more and there's extra vitamin D that we get from the sun is another added bonus.

The weather here today is good and I hope it starts to get better so I can start running outside again. Our place is close to a track oval so that will be a good exercise again for my cardio, 5-6 laps to start?

i ran 10km in a blizzard the other day to get to a walmart by 10pm so i could cash an IRS check

totes worth it

Cant stand the treadmill. After 3 years of running in minimalist shoes (vibrams and Altras) Im back to a neutral normal stability running shoe. Wearing the minimalists destroyed my feet at long distances because of the slight supination I have. After 7 years of injuries Im finally running my first marathon this weekend. A massage therapist can do wonders.

Same here, it is still different if you are running outside, you get to be challenged more and there's extra vitamin D that we get from the sun is another added bonus.

The weather here today is good and I hope it starts to get better so I can start running outside again. Our place is close to a track oval so that will be a good exercise again for my cardio, 5-6 laps to start?

It depends on what the distance of the track is. Just start out by walking around it once fast, then slowly jogging, increase your speed, and then when you're going to stop slow down and walk fast. Also don't forget to stretch or limber up. :)

It depends on what the distance of the track is. Just start out by walking around it once fast, then slowly jogging, increase your speed, and then when you're going to stop slow down and walk fast. Also don't forget to stretch or limber up. :)

Thanks ;) How's your running been? I haven't started but looks like the weather in the next few days will be a lot better so I will start running outside probly Friday or something.

I actually enjoy running in less than perfect weather (which helps, since NL isn't known for its warm and sunny climate). It can be greatly rewarding when you still achieve the goals you've set no matter the weather. Also, there's something nice in seeing other runners braving the cold/ rain/ ploughing through snow and and briefly exchanging appreciative glances.

where are the runners at, man?

this is me being fuckin awesome
I have had an exceptional race year thus so far. Here are some highlights. If I posted all my wins I might come off an an asshole ;)

10K trail first master (40+) female course record broken
1948148_10152006949479072_1860043851_n_zps4e249c21.jpg

10K trail second female overall and course record for female 40+
67952_10154012648410447_2192534966145851756_n_zpsb1633e4e.jpg

my first half road marathon (Blue Ridge…#8 in top ten toughest marathons in the world) first female masters award I think 9th maybe 8th female overall
1625536_10101546557707907_5869065301104357962_n_zps1d8131a5.jpg

1 week later 10K trail female master award
10270722_10152126701634072_5323704075527338_n_zps85c31692.jpg

^^
Awesome!!
You are in great shape and all the courses looked hella fun!
Just recently i had a trail run myself and it was a great experience!
Im wondering about your time at the half marathon, them 21 km is killing.

Ive practised soccer, basketball, badminton, kick-boxing and jiu jitsu but there is nothing like running.
Every day i run for half an hour in the morning at sunrise and it kickstarts my day in such a positive way, get a lot of energy out of it.
I always run a split, first half normal speed, second on high speed, walk ik out, and finish with a sprint.
I always take rest on sundays, and every 4th week i run 3 times instead of 6, but longer distances (10/15km)

My best results so far are 3.600 m in a coopertest (12 minutes), i won a 5km in 17 minutes, and ran the half marathon in 1.27.

I am now in training for a 4 mile (6.4km) and i am pretty confident i can do it in 21 minutes.

Not only is running great for your condition, its the perfect mindfullness practice.
every 4 steps i breath in, then 4 steps breathing out.
After 10 minutes i get in a trance and there are no thoughts, only the sounds of my steps and breathing.
All the noise around me (traffic, voices etc) dissapears.
I love it.

Im wondering about your time at the half marathon

I looked up my stats
I placed 56th out of 754 runners. 8th female overall. Finish time (chip time) 1:52:17
http://blueridgemarathon.com/race-options/half-marathon/half-marathon-course-map/

I am considering the full this April. I don't care for road but around here it is mountains so it will do for my first marathon :)

I am now in training for a 4 mile (6.4km) and i am pretty confident i can do it in 21 minutes.
I have a 4 mile night mountain trail run in October and placed second female overall last year at 34:07. So my goal is to beat that time.
I am not great at flat and fast. 21 minutes is freaking awesome.

I have a half trail marathon a week prior to the 4 mile night race. My goal is 1:50 but based on the elevation gain and terrain I would be happy with under 2 hours.

Last edited:
a night mountain trail run... that sounds exciting, im sure you will enjoy that!! :D

^i'm having trouble separating you from perpetualindulgence in my mind right now, it's crazy