• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

50 miles is nuts!!! good luck.

how are you getting on with the minimalist shoes? what brand are they?

i got gait analysis and bought the recommeded shoes, they are saucony and they are comfortable but my toes start going numb after about 5k. super annoying. i hope it wears off.

tryng to motivate myself to get out but it is horrible outside, really hard to motivate myself when its this grey and pouring intermittently. i originally wanted to do at least a 10k today but i'm just tryng to force myself to get out at all.

@chinup i love the shoes actually. The first few runs I had to take slow and be mindful of how strained my feet were, but now I think I’ve gotten used to them for the most part. I love how my toes have room to spread out and breathe. And I feel like I’m using the muscles in feet and strengthening them

my one gripe is that I slide forward a little too much and cram my toes when on a steep downhill, but maybe I just bought .5 size too small. The store if it then from offers exchanges up to 3 week after purchase so I may do that at some point

but yeah sometimes those gait analysis things can be great but sometimes quackery lol. If a sports med doctor or physical therapist is doing it, then I think it can be great but the rando at the running store just wants to make the sale half the time :/

and yeah poor weather makes it so much harder to get out. I would suggest a treadmill if you have access but we all know that it isn’t the same..

I say put the shoes on, step out the door and see how you feel from there 🙂

@thegreenhand what brand are your shoes? do you only wear those barefoot shoes now or a mix? i was seriously considering them as it makes snese in my head but i was told i'd have to wear them all the time to get benefit and i wouldn't want to do that.

do any of you have any tips for physically preparing for climbing a mountain when you live on a plain and do not drive so can't convey yourself to a hill. all going well i'll be hiking up 2 mountains (Toubkal and Olympus) in quick succession in just over a month. pretty sure i'll be good for the distances involved but back to back days with >1km ascents, and one day with a 2.6km descent has me a bit intimidated.

these actually will be easier than the original trip i had planned- 5 days back to back with 1km ascent and descent every day, but that massive descent is bigger than i've ever done before. is there anything i can do to strengthen myself? have been doing stair repeats but gets boring quick....

@chinup the brand is Altra, in particular I’m wearing the Superior 5 model

I definitely don’t wear them all the time as of right now. I’ve looked into an everyday-wear barefoot shoe as well but haven’t b the bullet yet. That said, I don’t think it’s necessary to wear them all the time to reap benefits. Running (or hiking/walking) in them will strengthen your feet. Going to the grocery store, for example, there’s no need to wear them. Although it probably wouldn’t hurt

parking garages can offer elevation that you can do hill repeats on, I’ve done that before. Intense cycling can help strengthen quads too for the climb

for downhill strength that’s a little trickier. The parking garage can help with running down it though.

I’d say even repeats on a small hill will be better than nothing

one of my siblings is getting into half marathons. fit little fuvk.

i moved into sober living so i’m a 5-mile bike ride from lakefront trail. i’ve been running the neighborhood instead. there’s lots of shade which makes my running watch say stupid things. the end result is accurate, but today i looked down and it said i was running a 15-minute mile. not knowing how fast i’m going negatively effects my performance. i might find somewhere else to run eventually but i don’t really mind. just wanna talk about running. the shade is nice and what’s most important is the watch still creates accurate heartbeat and distance data.

got a yoga mat because my muscles have been tight out there. going into rigor mortis around mile two.

finished and drank two big glasses of ice water. high point of my day.

Did 10 miles today. About 80% on trails, the rest on flat gravel path. Lots of flooded/muddy sections on the trail that slowed me down a lot…. averaged 12 min/mile so not fast lol.

This was a long run though not a tempo workout or anything. Gonna try to do another 10-15 tomorrow. I’ve been reading the gospel of the ‘back to back long run’ and wanna try it out. Especially given I have a 50 miler in two months

Did 4.5 trail miles today… tempo run. Felt really good. I’m trying to get into running first thing in the morning. So far it sucks lol, I always used to be a evening/sunset runner

I need to start doing more hill repeats soon as well. My 50 miler in October has 12000 ft of elevation gain so very hilly course.

im also debating if I should wear a vest or not for the race. I really prefer using a handheld but I can’t carry enough calories doing that. Maybe a running belt but so far I haven’t found one that doesn’t bounce uncontrollably

how did back to back long runs go @thegreenhand? sounds brutal, not sure i could do it!!

12000 elevation gain over 50 miles sounds horrific- nearly 4k fucking hell!! even walking that is a big deal, and at lower distances. i don't think i've ever done more than about 1.5k of ascent in a day. definitely needs some real preparaton.

i've not ran this weekend or last weekend cos i have been doing hill walking. well, what passes for hills round here. went to the highest point in my county today. 227m above sea level!! lol. still we had a bit of up and down so is some good practice and its nice to get outside.

@chinup it sucked lol but i took them slow and took a rest day after.

And yeah hill repeats are definitely in my future as well. I have a bad habit of pushing too hard on hills so I need to watch that

glad you’ve been getting out though! do you feel prepped for those climbs in Greece?

Good to see you guys are still getting after it!!

I ran my slowest 5k time in a race last weekend but still won. Only because no one was fast. Had my family there so that was cool. My time Pissed me off though.

I am actually glad though as it lit a fire under my ass to train harder. I have two 5k races next month a week apart. One is in the town i grew up in and rasies money for childrens cancer research so that will be great. I plan on looking for a longer race in October. Somewhere between 10k and 10 miles.

Trail 10k this morning. About 275 m of vert.

50 miler race is one month. Gonna run a 19 mile loop trail on Tuesday and then a trail marathon a few days later. Then taper and cruise until race day.

definitely did not do as much training as I would’ve liked. But I’ll finish, I’m confident of that

Trail 10k this morning. About 275 m of vert.

50 miler race is one month. Gonna run a 19 mile loop trail on Tuesday and then a trail marathon a few days later. Then taper and cruise until race day.

definitely did not do as much training as I would’ve liked. But I’ll finish, I’m confident of that
Dang that is amazing!

so this isn't the trekking thread... but i figured people here might know.

i completed toubkal on sunday- and now it hurts to sit down, stairs, anything basically. any ideas what i can do? i'm also completely wiped out with exhaustion so its not too bad a time to have to stay in bed. i've been doing lots of stretching but it doesn't seem to have helped. gonna take a nap but then maybe have a hot bath.

i completed toubkal on sunday- and now it hurts to sit down, stairs, anything basically. any ideas what i can do? i'm also completely wiped out with exhaustion so its not too bad a time to have to stay in bed. i've been doing lots of stretching but it doesn't seem to have helped. gonna take a nap but then maybe have a hot bath.
Make sure you're hydrated and have electrolytes before taking a hot bath. Baths pull a lot of water out of your body.

Is that like a triathlon?

Make sure you're hydrated and have electrolytes before taking a hot bath. Baths pull a lot of water out of your body.

Is that like a triathlon?
thanks!!

nope not a triathlon- its the tallest mountain in north africa. so the first day i was trekking for 6 hours and doing about 1.3 km of ascent. seocnd day we left at 5 am (so dark, which is good cos there's some v perilous bits that i honestly wouldn't have done if i coulda seen them!!) did about another k of ascent, then all the way back to the start. so over 2km descent. 10.5 hours of trekking in total for second day. ground was hella rocky and unstable, if you lost concentration for one second you were on your arse.

there's a video of someone doing a slightly different route (to go by the plane crash takes longer so you can't do that and descend to imlil in 1 day); - we got lucky as it had snowed twice in the week but there was no snow when we were there. was about 0 degrees though.

thanks!!

nope not a triathlon- its the tallest mountain in north africa. so the first day i was trekking for 6 hours and doing about 1.3 km of ascent. seocnd day we left at 5 am (so dark, which is good cos there's some v perilous bits that i honestly wouldn't have done if i coulda seen them!!) did about another k of ascent, then all the way back to the start. so over 2km descent. 10.5 hours of trekking in total for second day. ground was hella rocky and unstable, if you lost concentration for one second you were on your arse.

there's a video of someone doing a slightly different route (to go by the plane crash takes longer so you can't do that and descend to imlil in 1 day); - we got lucky as it had snowed twice in the week but there was no snow when we were there. was about 0 degrees though.

that's amazing!!! wow

I've climbed a mountain about half that size and it annihilated my legs! I was sore for like a week.

that's amazing!!! wow

I've climbed a mountain about half that size and it annihilated my legs! I was sore for like a week.
shit!! really hope mine aren't sore for a week lol. i've been trying to keep moving as much as possible cos they hurt more if i stay still.

congrats on the summit!

as long as the pain isnt concentrated on any specific ares (i.e. an injury) you'll be a-ok. muscle soreness/tightness is totally normal.

stretching can be good. try massaging with a roller if you can. but most importantly is eat well. your body needs those nutrients to repair itself. maybe drink some electrolytes if you can find any, you'll be good in a couple days tops