• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

people with anorexia had to ask to use the bathroom at the in-patient place i was at because because. not sure how much difference that made because everyone was on suicide watch so we all got watched while we pooped. still remember that being an extra humiliation for those in there with eating disorders.

ran four miles in the rain, in the dark tonight. same pace my middle sibling does that distance at. excited to run with her or him next time our exercise schedules line up to permit.

ran a 10k with my little brother today.

my 2021 goals are 3,500 miles biked and 575 miles run.

after looking and calling everywhere for last year's model in my size, ordered a new pair of running shoes today because my previous is approaching 400 miles. same shoes -- on cloudsurders -- but the 2021 model ...

cloudsrufer2021.jpg

have a promo where it comes with a backpack that in the past i've sold for $50, so it's pretty much getting the new model for last year's price. this is about my twelfth pair because i follow the new pair every 400 mile rule (shin splints from hell if you don't). gonna email them to see if i can be an ambassador with any perks.

Last edited:
those shoes look crazy @hydroazuanacaine! like mini trampolines on the bottom. i have no idea how far i ran in my last pair, just got a new one when the sole started coming loose.

did my first 'proper' run (i.e. not having to stop/start all the time to go past people) with my new fitness watch today. my 5km time was abominable, 33 mins, so over 2 mins slower than the last time i did an actual park run. but i think having it helped me up my pace which is good, and i'm not beating myself up cos my heart rate was in the 'extreme' range for 17 mins, so i was definitely pushing myself. i think it might be unrealistic to expect to ever be able to get a really decent time given how bad my crack habit was. though interestingly, i dunno how accurate it is, but my VO2Max is at the high end of good, so i am hopefully relatively fit.

probably the only running advice i can legitimately give, for ladies and cross-dressing men only..... do not run in frilly knickers.

i am in fucking agony. can't walk. beat my previous best 10k time by a minute but didn't know i was literally shredding the skin between my legs at the time.

probably the only running advice i can legitimately give, for ladies and cross-dressing men only..... do not run in frilly knickers.

i am in fucking agony. can't walk. beat my previous best 10k time by a minute but didn't know i was literally shredding the skin between my legs at the time.
Oh man! That sucks! Hope you heal soon, sudocreme is worth its weight in gold on these occasions.

Oh man! That sucks! Hope you heal soon, sudocreme is worth its weight in gold on these occasions.
oh cool. thank you!

next time my bladder forces me to go to the bathroom i'll see if i have any. i'm not sure i'm organised enough to have that sort of thing randomly, but am pretty sure i have E45- would that help?

oh cool. thank you!

next time my bladder forces me to go to the bathroom i'll see if i have any. i'm not sure i'm organised enough to have that sort of thing randomly, but am pretty sure i have E45- would that help?
Oh yeah it’ll help also in the mean time. I’m sure it’s so sore.

its insane..... skin there is very sensitive lol.

i don't have sudocrem, but i have savlon, voltarol, and curatoderm in addition to E45 so gonna google them now.

edit- am going for savlon and E45 and will buy some sudocrem tomorrow if i can walk so i have it in case of future need

Last edited by a moderator:
i’m signed up for my first 50k in June 😬 here’s to many long weeks ahead...
wow!!! like how would you even start training for something like that?

does it not take over your whole life? my sister did a half marathon then didn't run for a year cos it was too intense, and she couldn't have drinks with the girls on friday then train on saturday, i guess its what suits your personality.

how would you stop your knees from getting destroyed?

did a 5k before work but my stomach was feeling urgh so actually walked the last bit.

wow!!! like how would you even start training for something like that?

does it not take over your whole life? my sister did a half marathon then didn't run for a year cos it was too intense, and she couldn't have drinks with the girls on friday then train on saturday, i guess its what suits your personality.

how would you stop your knees from getting destroyed?

did a 5k before work but my stomach was feeling urgh so actually walked the last bit.
It’s definitely a time commitment lol. This winter when I had 4 weeks for school I did lots of long trail runs and I was able to pull 20-25 mile self supported runs out of my ass with little to no specific training for that.

With a few months of directed training I’m confident I can drag out the extra 10 to make it full the 31 miles (idk if you’re American but maybe miles is easier to convert lol)

I’ve been running in some form of another for most of my life so I have that base to build from. Starting from a scratch, I would say just slowly increase you’re mileage every week or two and try to do two long runs back to back i.e. Sat and Sun so that your body can adapt to the repeated stress

i already wake at 4:30 am to open at work and go to bed at 8:30 every night so my real friends know if they want to j g out it better be in the day lol, but I don’t think I’ve had to sacrifice too much of life’s pleasures. Just maybe some cookies 🙃

It’s definitely a time commitment lol. This winter when I had 4 weeks for school I did lots of long trail runs and I was able to pull 20-25 mile self supported runs out of my ass with little to no specific training for that.

With a few months of directed training I’m confident I can drag out the extra 10 to make it full the 31 miles (idk if you’re American but maybe miles is easier to convert lol)

I’ve been running in some form of another for most of my life so I have that base to build from. Starting from a scratch, I would say just slowly increase you’re mileage every week or two and try to do two long runs back to back i.e. Sat and Sun so that your body can adapt to the repeated stress

i already wake at 4:30 am to open at work and go to bed at 8:30 every night so my real friends know if they want to j g out it better be in the day lol, but I don’t think I’ve had to sacrifice too much of life’s pleasures. Just maybe some cookies 🙃
Yeah honestly it’s really no big deal. When I did an ultra the only difference I had to my training was just more long slow runs at weekend. I don’t even think I went over 35 miles and I did a 50 mile ultra. Once you’ve a good base you can really train for any distance easily in my opinion. When I was competing in the 5ks my only real training was long runs, my coach was obsessed but it worked. Obviously I had some tempo running in there but not much more.

Yeah honestly it’s really no big deal. When I did an ultra the only difference I had to my training was just more long slow runs at weekend. I don’t even think I went over 35 miles and I did a 50 mile ultra. Once you’ve a good base you can really train for any distance easily in my opinion. When I was competing in the 5ks my only real training was long runs, my coach was obsessed but it worked. Obviously I had some tempo running in there but not much more.
Yeah I probably could do it tomorrow if I had to ya know. But I am trying to get a halfway decent time, hence the training block

the past few months I’ve been doing lots of tempo work. I think it’s definitely helped raise my ceiling quite a bit. Gotta start doing more zone 2 stuff now, even though I hate it. I don’t have the patience for slow runs lol. Though given the nature of ultras, I suppose it’s sort of a reverse periodization thing. Since the race itself involves slow climbs and such it might make sense to have more event specific training closer to race day?? Sort of like how most 10k runners would do slow in the preseason and then increase the frequency of tempo runs closer to race day. Just opposite for ultras

idk maybe I’m just trying to justify my lack of long runs the last few months 😂

I would like to work up to 50 mile and 100 mile eventually. If I can find a late season 50 miler in like September I may do that

Yeah I probably could do it tomorrow if I had to ya know. But I am trying to get a halfway decent time, hence the training block

the past few months I’ve been doing lots of tempo work. I think it’s definitely helped raise my ceiling quite a bit. Gotta start doing more zone 2 stuff now, even though I hate it. I don’t have the patience for slow runs lol. Though given the nature of ultras, I suppose it’s sort of a reverse periodization thing. Since the race itself involves slow climbs and such it might make sense to have more event specific training closer to race day?? Sort of like how most 10k runners would do slow in the preseason and then increase the frequency of tempo runs closer to race day. Just opposite for ultras

idk maybe I’m just trying to justify my lack of long runs the last few months 😂

I would like to work up to 50 mile and 100 mile eventually. If I can find a late season 50 miler in like September I may do that
Yeah I get it, the best thing that helped my marathons times was definitely the long slow weekend runs though. I was doing 28 miles in the 2 months before the marathon, cut it down to 20s and 18s before the marathon. I was doing every race though up to the marathon, we have a race series in Dublin, its 5km, 5 miles, 10km, half marathon and then the marathon. So I competed in all of them and I trained for them too which helped.

If you can run a marathon you can run double that. Your base is there it’s just about the mind and nutrition.

I’ve been running in some form of another for most of my life so I have that base to build from.
makes sense. i ran a lot as a teenager but never distance- i was sick at 200 and 400m cos even though my 100m time was poor, i could keep up a similar pace for much longer than most people could.

then i started smoking at 14 and soon gave up running for a team. then a team of medical professionals tried to ban me from exercising when i was 21 (ha!) and though it took a long time to kick the habit i eventually did give up almost completely. during which period i was smoking some combo of weed, heroin and crack on a regular basis. then i got glandular fever (for the second time lucky me!) and was essentially bedridden for 6 months.

so my base is fucked lungs and CV system, fucked joints and starting from absolute nothing. i do it cos i can feel that its good for me.

very impressed with you and @MsDiz but am not ever going to be remotely on you guys' level. i will just sit here in awe of you.

makes sense. i ran a lot as a teenager but never distance- i was sick at 200 and 400m cos even though my 100m time was poor, i could keep up a similar pace for much longer than most people could.

then i started smoking at 14 and soon gave up running for a team. then a team of medical professionals tried to ban me from exercising when i was 21 (ha!) and though it took a long time to kick the habit i eventually did give up almost completely. during which period i was smoking some combo of weed, heroin and crack on a regular basis. then i got glandular fever (for the second time lucky me!) and was essentially bedridden for 6 months.

so my base is fucked lungs and CV system, fucked joints and starting from absolute nothing. i do it cos i can feel that its good for me.

very impressed with you and @MsDiz but am not ever going to be remotely on you guys' level. i will just sit here in awe of you.
Ah here, when I started to run I literally did a couch to 5km. The distances I did were literally for marathon training and because I wanted sub 2:30 time. As you know all about obsessiveness that comes with an ED it also seeps into other areas of your life and running was just one of those areas. I actually eat more because I run so my medical team always let me do it.

It’s not hard to build a good base, it just involves regular running. Slow 10ks will make you faster than most who are doing a 5k because you’ll have the endurance.

Yeah I get it, the best thing that helped my marathons times was definitely the long slow weekend runs though. I was doing 28 miles in the 2 months before the marathon, cut it down to 20s and 18s before the marathon. I was doing every race though up to the marathon, we have a race series in Dublin, its 5km, 5 miles, 10km, half marathon and then the marathon. So I competed in all of them and I trained for them too which helped.

If you can run a marathon you can run double that. Your base is there it’s just about the mind and nutrition.
Yeah I have plenty long slow runs in the plans. Plenty of trails like 1-2 hrs from me that I’ve yet to explore. Nutrition I’ve got pretty figured out. My stomach has learned how to run with food in it by now. Oats and quinoa ftw

The distances I did were literally for marathon training and because I wanted sub 2:30 time.
You went 2:30 on your first marathon?? That’s insane

Yeah I have plenty long slow runs in the plans. Plenty of trails like 1-2 hrs from me that I’ve yet to explore. Nutrition I’ve got pretty figured out. My stomach has learned how to run with food in it by now. Oats and quinoa ftw

You went 2:30 on your first marathon?? That’s insane
I’m pretty insane hahaha!!! I’m also hectically obsessive, I had a training plan and stuck to it and it worked. It took 9 months from couch to marathon for me. I ran no less than 50 miles a week.

I run keto, there’s no way I could run with food in my stomach, in fact it took me a long time to even be able to run with water in my stomach.

edit to add: I have always been fit, I surf and climb as well. I go to the gym 4 times a week and lift as heavy as I can. I’ve competed in body building comps as well. So it wasn’t hard for me to get into running for those reasons.

Yeah grew up playing soccer so I developed a pretty solid cardio base from 16 years of playing at a decently competitive level. I did some triathlon stuff the summer after graduating high school which is mad fun but I find the culture of that sport to be a bit pretentious at times + bikes are fucking expensive

this summer over lockdown I did 40 mile weeks of nearly all trail runs at a national park near my hometown. I’ve realized I’m a hippie at heart and the trees are where I’m meant to run lol

my lungs probably took some damage from heavy marijuana smoking in high school but now I’ve cut back significantly on marijuana and I try to stick to edibles or vaping

I’m only 19 I figure I have time to heal myself lol

I’m pretty insane hahaha!!! I’m also hectically obsessive, I had a training plan and stuck to it and it worked. It took 9 months from couch to marathon for me. I ran no less than 50 miles a week.

I run keto, there’s no way I could run with food in my stomach, in fact it took me a long time to even be able to run with water in my stomach.
Jesus that is some dedication!! I was hoping to get sub 3:30 for my first marathon (before it canceled due to Covid that is) and I thought that would be stretch lol

ah yeah i suppose I’ve just been doing it for so long I’m used to it. I never eat a full meal before running obviously but bananas, oatmeal bars, nuts, dried fruit etc I can handle just fine

on trail runs the quinoa and bean burrito is my staple lol