Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Rumor or fact?: Power/energy bar before pill hits you ^peak

stazi

Bluelighter
I have heard from a few people that having a carb/guarana/protein etc bar 20-25 mins before the pill hits you is really good. It gives you an energy rush and also you don't get much of a come down, as MDMA burns your energy whilst you're on it, so you have more in reserve.

Is this fact or fiction?

Would most likely depend entirely on the specific contents of the energy bar in question, but in general, eating anything immediately before or after eating a pill will rark up your stomach acid and mean more of the pill is lost.

Bit of a balance b/c being low on energy in general due to not eating food generally leads to a rather lazy roll which you don't enjoy as much as if you had some energy.

Can't see it effecting your comedown much but it is ALWAYS a good idea to try and eat something small after taking drugs.

mdma works on serotonin. so taking 5htp before and/or after will definately have an effect. some people dont believe taking it the day of the roll has any effect, but all will agree that taking one on the come down helps.

someone smarter will come and explain it properly im sure.

where could one purchase 5htp?in regular pharmacies? what are the costs associated? (sorry if im breaking the rules and its an illegal substance but i'm assuming its over-the-counter stuff)

some health food shops have it in stock.

If you in Brisbane try Mrs Flannery's

any stimulant before an E trip will probably increase the roll . . .

have you considered circulatory "boosters" such as ginseng to heighten the roll? . . .

i often had alot of caffine/gurana (redbull+nodoze) before i roll. Once we even mixed a no-doze with a biccie in a line (i know, senseless). I dunno if it was a placebo or not. But it seemed to make me more hypo than usualy. Even if it was a placebo, it was still fun./

caffeine is sometimes found in E . . .

that in itself shows how much caffeine and stimulants can affect a pill . . .

i think 90mg of caffeine standardized from guarana is good for a roll along with sipping a redbull. this alleviates us from being too 'smacked out' and just sitting around. fuckin useful esp at a rave. u wanna feel the whole rave experience dancin ur ass off while blowing out. not sittin around

crow011: I'm not so sure that any stimulant will increase the roll. Anecdotally I've found that taking amphetamines before a pill takes away from the effects of MDMA by simply overpowering them. Also you mentioned caffeine found in pills, without testing the neurological effects of this, it might only indicate that caffeine is useful to add mass to a pill. The pills that I know had caffeine in them (the x-scores) were also some of the messiest ('smackiest') pills I've had, so in my opinion caffeine doesnt always make for a 'better' roll.

Unless there is some hard evidence, I'd say this is a rumour.

hmmm, thats interesting . . .

id expect something like gingko biloba to perhaps increase the quality of an ectsasy experience, as it improves circulation in the body - thus, the chemicals would be travelling through your body more smoothly/quickly . . .

wasnt ginseng and ginko biloba MAOI's? and dont those not interact with MDMA quite so well in the body

Hmmm does anyone have more info on this because i often take ginkgo i.e daily and haven't had a problem.

Found a few conflicting reports this is probably the best one as it was done in humans not rats.

Fowler JS, Wang GJ, Volkow ND, Logan J, Franceschi D, Franceschi M, MacGregor R, Shea C, Garza V, Liu N, Ding YS.
Evidence that gingko biloba extract does not inhibit MAO A and B in living human brain. Life Sci. 2000 Jan 21;66(9):pL141-6.

Here's the Abstract for those who can't access the journal.

Extracts of Ginkgo biloba have been reported to reversibly inhibit both monoamine oxidase (MAO) A and B in rat brain in vitro leading to speculation that MAO inhibition may contribute to some of its central nervous system effects. Here we have used positron emission tomography (PET) to measure the effects of Ginkgo biloba on human brain MAO A and B in 10 subjects treated for 1 month with 120 mg/day of the Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761, using [11C]clorgyline and [11C]L-deprenyl-D2 to measure MAO A and B respectively. A three-compartment model was used to calculate the plasma to brain transfer constant K1 which is related to blood flow, and lambdak3, a model term which is a function of the concentration of catalytically active MAO molecules. Ginkgo biloba administration did not produce significant changes in brain MAO A or MAO B suggesting that mechanisms other than MAO inhibition need to be considered as mediating some of its CNS effects.

I had a quick look and found a more recent literature review article discussing MAO inhibition (as well as many other things so its well worth a read).

Wu and Zhu (1999) reported that EGb-761, administered
before or after MPTP injections in mice, can protect against
MPTP-induced reduction in striatal dopamine levels. Given
that monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors can prevent the
metabolism of MPTP to its neurotoxic metabolite MPP+,
Wu and Zhu (1999) also investigated the effects of EGb-761
on mouse brain MAO activity. EGb-761 resulted in a
non-selective inhibition of MAO and the authors concluded
that this action may be associated with its neuroprotective
effect in MPTP-induced toxicity. Current evidence regarding
whether EGb-761 is able to inhibit MAO is controversial.
A behavioural investigation in mice (Porsolt et al.,
2000) and a positron emission tomography investigation in
the human brain (Fowler et al., 2000) found no evidence for
EGb-761-mediated MAO inhibition. A recent study in rats,
however, reported that EGb-761 inhibited both MAO-A and
MAO-B activity, an effect likely to be due to the kaempferol
component of the extract (Sloley et al., 2000).

The CNS effects of Ginkgo biloba extracts and ginkgolide B
Karyn M. Maclennan, Cynthia L. Darlington, Paul F. Smith

Based on this I'd say it would be something to be mindful of as there is no hard evidence either way and studies such as these are often flawed in one way or another.

Thanx for that. I have been taking ginkgo for about 2 years now i take a 2000 mg tablet 3 times daily and have found it lifts my mood and increases concentration. I usually have MDMA around once a month. So far there hasn't been any problems that i have noticed but i'll be doing some more research still.

If anyone has anything else to add it would be appreciated.

(Mods sorry i know this is off topic)