• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Roadside Drug Testing....

im always worried one day they are gona have one of those sniffer dogs waiting for you on the side of the road, i wonder what i would do in that situation hehe

They just showed this on the ABC news. It's a bit of a worry, they just need to set up shop outside Homebush when one of the big events is on and they'd catch every second driver. What's more they can search the car for drugs too.

:\

Is it criminal or a public regulatory offense?

If its criminal I actually can't see a hell of a lot of prosecutions getting through...courts aren't gonna find your under the influence beyond reasonable doubt very often on the strength of the test results alone.

Of course, if its just a fine your all screwed...especially stoners...man...smoke a bong and go driving a month later *BAM*

8(

And if you don't test positive, NEVER consent to a search. Even if you do don't consent. Don't try to physically intervene if they decide to anyway, just make it more than clear that you are not consenting to the search - let the lawyers sort it out later.

Yeah i don't understand how they'll be analysing the results. On the news report they just said it would pick up who'd taken drugs "within the last few hours" but that stuff stays in your system for ages. What if you go to a recovery and chill for a few hours and then drive home. What will it pick up then? The lines seem pretty blurry at this point.

You'll notice the article says that it's a trial in NSW for the first year. During the trial if you're caught, you will be banned from driving your vehicle for the next 24 hours... that's interesting.

I don't believe that the testers test for metabolites, but more the presence of the actual drug on your saliva.

You rip a cone, you'll have remnants of that delightful smoke left in your mouth. You'll have THC coursing through your arteries too (until it all gets metabolized).
Same again with a line or whatnot

Mebbe the testers test for the drugs themselves, not the metabolites?

^ cause the tests are not accurate... how can you determine if a person is under the influence? Seriously just because the drugs are still in your system don't mean your a dangerous driver cause of its long life but your not intoxicated anymore (effects diminished), unlike alcohol. It's unfair that drug users are treated more harshly than drink drivers even though intoxication is intoxication, there is no distinction.

Furthermore are the police going to allow a small amount of drugs/minor intoxication to be acceptable, e.g. alcohol is .05, what about drugs?

I think this law will allow police to have more powers in respect to searching vehicles, blocking off roads etc. They probably won't even drug test but rather look at the drivers reaction and search the vehicle on reasonable grounds and/or just use sniffer dogs.

what i think is worrying is the length you have to wait, for results (5 minutes). it is not like a RBT where its over in 30 seconds or so.

lorenzo_benzo said:
^ cause the tests are not accurate... how can you determine if a person is under the influence? Seriously just because the drugs are still in your system don't mean your a dangerous driver cause of its long life but your not intoxicated anymore (effects diminished), unlike alcohol. It's unfair that drug users are treated more harshly than drink drivers even though intoxication is intoxication, there is no distinction.

Furthermore are the police going to allow a small amount of drugs/minor intoxication to be acceptable, e.g. alcohol is .05, what about drugs?

I think this law will allow police to have more powers in respect to searching vehicles, blocking off roads etc. They probably won't even drug test but rather look at the drivers reaction and search the vehicle on reasonable grounds and/or just use sniffer dogs.

you seem to forget the fact that alcohol is legal and everything these tests detect arent?

before people get too worked up over the legalities and how long it will take till stuff is outta your system, check this thread which has all this already discussed and speculated by victorians....

its amazing how people have bypassed looking into this, simply cause "it is happening down south" its coming to a state near you, so be prepared, watch out and start looking at alternative modes of transport....

i think nsw people will start taking notice now....

hoptis said:
You'll notice the article says that it's a trial in NSW for the first year. During the trial if you're caught, you will be banned from driving your vehicle for the next 24 hours... that's interesting.
Can we get a source for this, please?
If that's the full extent of the penalty then <meh>

If the police take possesion of your vehicle for 24 hours, then where the hell would you go ? The source is the article at the top of this thread.

Last edited:
Call me ignorant, but I've read it 3 times now and I still don't see that reference at all!?!?!? [No, I'm not high. Just stupid]

Can someone please point it out to my old, ignorant eyes?

i heard on the news offenders will not be prosecuted, they will only get a 24 hour licence suspension. this is for the first year trial.

Don't see it either Hawaii :D Still...if all theya re giving you is a 24 hour ban you REALLY couldn't be too unhappy...pretty damn reasonable if you ask me.

MoeBro said:
I don't believe that the testers test for metabolites, but more the presence of the actual drug on your saliva.

You rip a cone, you'll have remnants of that delightful smoke left in your mouth. You'll have THC coursing through your arteries too (until it all gets metabolized).
Same again with a line or whatnot

Mebbe the testers test for the drugs themselves, not the metabolites?

Exactly right. The tests they are using in Vic (which is still set to go live on the 1st of Dec) test for the active substance only. So despite the fact that they would be able to develop testers to determine use of susbtances at all, these tests are only concerned with whether you are under the influence RIGHT NOW. Because of this, (and the fact that as MoeBro said the substances they test for are not legal), the tolerance is 0, that is, if they detect ANY active substance, you're going down.

I've done some testing with the devices they propose to use in Vic, and they are acurate. They will pick up substances for the hours immediately following use. For example, if you have had nothing, and then have a line of speed, the tests will show up positive for roughly 4 hours afterwoods (obviously the timeframe depends on many factors and this should NOT be taken as gospel)

After an even in Melb recently we tested a willing guinea-pig who had taken their last 1/2 pill (of 2 in total through the night) 3.5 hours before. The test showed up negative. We also tested another guinea-pig for amphetamines who had taken a fair amount of Meth through the night/day and while he had not had any for around 5 hours before the test, the result was a resounding positive.

The results will vary for each individual depending on many things including your metabolism, the quantity and purity of the drug consumed, and because of the interaction between different drugs, what else you have taken will play a part as well.

It's important to note that these tests are not designed to give qualative or quantative results. They give a simple Yes/No result, which determines if you are free to go, or it you are detained for a further test using field adapted lab equipment. The further tests are 100% accurate, and will tell them what you have had, and how much you still have in you.

The short version of all of this is that if you have had any drugs recently, DON'T DRIVE. Apart from the risk to yourself and others, the technology and the desire to catch and charge Drug-Drivers is very real and is coming very soon to a road near you. ;)

^^^^^
In these tests, what was the longest time period since last consuming drugs that someone still tested positive? Were any tests done 8, 12, 24, 48 hours after (for example)?

As I said in the other thread, these tests are fine as long as they only catch people under the influence, and not people who took drugs a day ago and have since had a good nights sleep. Otherwise it's just a witch hunt.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough samples to test at as many different intervals and different circumstances as we would have liked. But I have had the oppourtunity to check out some of the official data from the Vicroads tests (and talk to the man who is heading up this whole initiative in Vic).

Basically they found that with a single dosage of say Amphetamines or Cannabis, the tests would find positive results for up to (on average) 4 hours afterwoods. As I said above, this will vary greatly depending on purity and quantity consumed.

I am trying to get my hands on more samples to test with, but as you would imagine they are not exactly just handing these out to anyone who asks. If and when I do get some, the tests will be carried out at regular intervals with specific dosages, and the results will be published on here. ;)