• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Ritalin

zagor11

Bluelighter
Is it same as Dexedrine? I asked my doc for it and he gave me some Canadian bs version called biphentin or something and it is ER. Those little capsules have inside some really ugly beads but anyway it did nothing for me. I plan to go tomorrow and give it back to him and demand Ritalin but does Ritalin work for you (depression in this case) if you stopped taking dex a few days before.

Ritalin and biphentin are both Methylphenidate, although Biphentin is extended release. Methylphenidate is a Norepinepherine -Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. It blocks both the Dopamine and Norepinepherine Transporters, leading to an increase in extracellular Dopamine + NE.

Amphetamines (Dexedrine) are a more potent stimulant and not only Inhibits the reuptake of Dopamine, Norepinepherine & Serotonin, but also inhibits or reverses the transporters for the aforementioned monoamine neurotransmitters adding to their efficacy.

Simply put Dextroamphetamine is a more potent and effective stimulant than Methylphenidate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12685517
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21272013

Methylphenidate- ~ -`-`-`-`-`- ..`.`.`.`.`.`. Amphetamine
200px-Methylphenidate-2D-skeletal.svg.png
`.`.`.
200px-D-amphetamine.svg.png

Is it same as Dexedrine?

No, Ritalin is not the same as dexedrine.

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) is a noradrenaline-dopamine releasing agent.
Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a noradrenaline-dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

They both work as stimulants, and while Ritalin does have a certain abuse potential, it is generally considered more jittery and less euphoric than dexedrine. Ritalin is also much shorter-lasting than amphetamine, which is why it is generally prescribed in an ER formulation.

I plan to go tomorrow and give it back to him and demand Ritalin but does Ritalin work for you (depression in this case) if you stopped taking dex a few days before.

This is a surefire way to get him to see you as a drug-seeker.

Yes, ritalin does work, but you cannot expect it to be identical to dexedrine. You need to be titrated to the right dose. 30 mg of ER methylphenidate (no matter which manufacturer) is significantly less potent than 30 mg of dexedrine. Switching one brand of methylphenidate for another is not going to magically make a difference.

Rome isnt built in a day.

Give the biphentin a shot.

You asked for amphetamine they met you half way.

I know depression sucks i was stripped off my meds for suicidal depression and put on meds made me nodd off.

But i didnt get back on meds i needed like my adderall without being patient earning their trust that i am not trying to abuse it and i truly benefit from it. Im talking months not days.

Thanks everyone. My doc knows I am looking even for drugs that cause high because he understands me deep depression. I didn't know these meds were different. d1nach it is a good thing you get help from adderall. If I didn't abuse dex who knows how long it would mask my depression. But a few days of high fckd me for months. My depression lasts for almost 2 years and I am cornered. I thought of making the big jump on my b-day February 7 if I don't get better. That's what I planned 6 months ago and I did not get much better. My last card is Ritalin but based on reviews I am not optimistic.

You could try vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine), maybe. It is essentially dexedrine that has been chemically modified so it can no longer produce an instant rush - lisdexamphetamine is inactive at first, and only becomes active after being converted to dextroamphetamine by enzymes in your bloodstream, so it tends to take atleast an hour or so for the effects to become noticeable. This is not just an "extended release" version - you cannot just crush up a bunch of beads in the capsule to turn it back into a snortable "instant-release" form.
As I said, the modification is on the molecule itself, so you could snort it all you want, but you'd still have to wait for the enzymes to do their thing.

Because it is a pro-drug for dextroamphetamine, dosage conversion from dexedrine is relatively simple - the largest available dosage of vyvanse, 70 mg, corresponds to roughly 30 mg of dexedrine.

Again, if your problem was abusing your dex by snorting it for a rush, then vyvanse might be an option for you. People with anhedonic depression unfortunately tend to easily slip into drug-seeking behavior, so while carefully adjusted doses of dextroamphetamine may prove beneficial in cases of severe anhedonia, the risk of abuse generally outweighs the benefits. In these cases, vyvanse may be a superior option, as it offers pretty much the same therapeutic efficacy as dexedrine but with a significantly lower abuse potential. In ritalin, the lower abuse potential mostly becomes from the stimulation just feeling too jittery at higher doses.

Not saying that vyvanse doesn't have a potential for abuse and addiction though; it's obviously going to get people high if they take double or triple the dosage, and patiently wait for the (much more gradual) come-up.

That said, one major problem for you is that by abusing dexedrine, you've essentially conditioned yourself to associate "therapeutic efficacy" with "a stim rush". You've got to accept that "no rush" is not the same as "this drug doesn't work"; your goal is a stable increase in focus and a decrease in anhedonia throughout the day, not an unstable cycle of euphoric come-ups and soul-crushing come-downs.

All in all, you should probably give biphentin a shot for a for atleast a month. In the initial phase after a period of dexedrine abuse, nothing is going to completely quench that stim craving (except recreational doses of your stim of choice); at the right dose, methylphenidate is an effective medication, with ER methylphenidate products like biphentin, concerta or ritalin LA still being the standard first-line treatment for ADHD outside the US.

So yeah... take care, things *will* get better once you're on a stable, sustainable dosage of the right meds... I'm speaking from experience here.

I take Adderrall ten mgs twice a day or whatever I choice each day and it is not for depression BUT you get energy and I wouldn't recommend that due to methaddiction!? I heard that it is ALMOST SAME BUT UNUNOT FOR ME IM SO ADHD im hyper, and I get embarrassed! Then people who know me love me and understand thank God they'll say Have yo youu taken your Adderrall today? I GET embarrassed even though they are high school friends!!

Last edited:
Is it same as Dexedrine? I asked my doc for it and he gave me some Canadian bs version called biphentin or something and it is ER. Those little capsules have inside some really ugly beads but anyway it did nothing for me. I plan to go tomorrow and give it back to him and demand Ritalin but does Ritalin work for you (depression in this case) if you stopped taking dex a few days before.
First, Biphentin and Ritalin are the same. Ritalin is usually more expensive, specially Ritalin LA which is the equivalent to Biphentin. Also, if you were taking dexedrine until a few days ago, depression is a normal withdrawal symptom, and I'm not sure if going back to stimulants is the best choice. You said something regarding dexedrine abuse causing your depression, if that's the case maybe try the more typical routes, antidepressants/therapy. Stimulants are very effective antidepressants, but in a similar fashion as how opiates are very effective for anxiety, they're too broad. If dexedrine as a medication is the only antidepressant that has been effective for you, there is clinical evidence of methylphenidate as an add-on to SSRIs for depression, you won't get a high from it, but it's proven effective for treatment-ressistant depression.