• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Ritalin and caffeine synergy?

AwesomeFrog

Greenlighter
I noticed a while back that I could revive a methylphenidate (Ritalin) dose when I'm coming down by taking about 200mg of caffeine. The full effect isn't restored but the drug takes longer to wear off after the caffeine kicks in. Is this a placebo or does it make sense? Does anyone else experience this effect or a similar effect when dosing methylphenidate (Ritalin) with caffeine?

I know Ritalin is not an amphetamine, but to me, it's close enough to have the prefix.

Thanks. :)

Interesting. Do you ever have anxiety after combining the two? Sometimes after taking them I have constant butterflies and I get worried. I know about caffeine anxiety but I don't usually experience it from caffeine alone.

Last edited:
....Is this a placebo or does it make sense? Does anyone else experience this effect or a similar effect when dosing methylphenidate (Ritalin) with caffeine?....

You're not imagining it! :) The effect is caused by basically two reasons.

The first is obviously common sense. Amphets are a stimulant, caffeine is a stimulant. Dosing two stimulants at once will potentiate each other's effects.

The other is - and tbh I'm not entirely sure of the exact pathway but - on a pharmacological level, caffeine and amphetamines do interact causing molecular potentiation.

Ritalin/Caffeine will help with more attention. Normally a person with AD(H)D will become more calm with Ritalin/caffeine. When I would take Ritalin/caffeine I would become depressed and crying and I would have absolutely no idea why. Overdosed on caffeine causing me to become so calm I became tired, depressed, and crying.

If you want to prolong the effects of Ritalin you can try taking 2 Tums 30 minutes before taking the Ritalin (orally) and mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with water and then taking the Ritalin. There's also drug interactions like antidepressants (SSRIs (Celexa)/SNRIs (Effexor), MAOIs (selegelline), tricylics/tetracylics (imipramine), atypicals (Wellbutrin)), tyrosine, tramadol, sulfates, other stimulants, etc..

Last edited:
Caffeine mostly just makes the side effects of Ritalin more pronounced. Normally a person with AD(H)D will become more calm with Ritalin and even caffeine. It's prob just the effects of the caffeine working, not bringing the Ritalin back to life. You have to prepare the body to potentiate the effects of Ritalin,can't just do it when it's about to wear off. Caffeine also increases attention. When I would take Ritalin along with caffeine I would become depressed and crying and I would have absolutely no idea why.

If you want to prolong the effects of Ritalin you can try taking 2 Tums 30 minutes before taking the Ritalin (orally) and mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with water and then taking the Ritalin. There's also drug interactions to enhance the effects of Ritalin but are a deadly cocktail.
Thot the sodium bicarb trick was for amps

Do not combine ritalin and segeligine/wellbutrin! Especially segeligine. Mixing a DARI + MAOI = bad.

Thanks for the info. Tried Ethylphenidate and 200mg caffeine. It does seem as if I took more E-phen. Could be placebo of course. Time will tell.

Do not combine ritalin and segeligine/wellbutrin! Especially segeligine. Mixing a DARI + MAOI = bad.
Even with taking half the typical medicinal starting dose for both and working your way up as needed?

Throwing caffeine in to the mix seems like it would increase PNS stimulation, while adding minimal CNS stimulation. So, if you want to work out or simply stay awake and want more physical energy, mix Caffeine (or better yet, 12.5-25mg Ephedrine, as it's more CNS active than caffeine/pseudo) with your Ritalin. If you simply want more CNS energy/focus, I think you'll have to take more CNS rx stims.

Even with taking half the typical medicinal starting dose for both and working your way up as needed?

With very careful titration, maybe. But mixing MAOI's with any sort of drugs that increase monoamine levels further is asking for trouble.

Caffeine is actually a really good CNS and PNS stimulant as long as it's not overused.

With very careful titration, maybe. But mixing MAOI's with any sort of drugs that increase monoamine levels further is asking for trouble.

Caffeine is actually a really good CNS and PNS stimulant as long as it's not overused.
I have ADHD and caffeine makes me tired. If I took Ritalin with caffeine would it potentate or cancel each other out?

Okay fml, I did I not put the pieces together... Well here's What happened:

These past 3-4 days i been doing dexedrines to help me stay up and study for a exam but then I suddenly had an urge to drink green tea Cus I was getting dry mouth from the dexedrines. Each of these 3-4 nights I have been taking dexedrInes and drinking on average about 5-7 500 ml of tea per night. Hence, resulting in me getting only about 6 hours of sleep these past 4 days. Although my heart rate was not beating as fast, I was getting extreme dry mouth/lips and It is due to the caffeine and dexedrines that I was taking, also I encountered a bit of pychosis as I thought something was wrong with the dexedrine pills as this experience was different then my previous usages. Failing to account the effect of the green tea, I am currently facing a fatigue in the brain, but cannot sleep because I am caffeinated/stimulated.

With my exam beig 2 days away I can't afford to be sleep deprived as I learned from my previous exams that even if on stims, a lack of sleep will screw u over. If I sleep an 8 hr today and then another 8 hr tommorow, will I be properly rested by the time of the exam ( I will also take a dexedrine too)?

And should I take another Dexedrine and drink more tea to pass the following 12 hours by studying so I can have a proper sleeping cycle by resting well at night or should i sleep right now and rest my brain And stay up again? What shuldd I do?

Why can't I tolerate Ritalin or caffeine???

Ritalin/Caffeine will help with more attention. Normally a person with AD(H)D will become more calm with Ritalin/caffeine. When I would take Ritalin/caffeine I would become depressed and crying and I would have absolutely no idea why. Overdosed on caffeine causing me to become so calm I became tired, depressed, and crying.

If you want to prolong the effects of Ritalin you can try taking 2 Tums 30 minutes before taking the Ritalin (orally) and mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with water and then taking the Ritalin. There's also drug interactions like antidepressants (SSRIs (Celexa)/SNRIs (Effexor), MAOIs (selegelline), tricylics/tetracylics (imipramine), atypicals (Wellbutrin)), tyrosine, tramadol, sulfates, other stimulants, etc..

Hi - I have the same effect of ritalin and caffeine - and I want to know why that is???

The combination of Ritalin and Caffeine is too much for me. It's either one or the other. i'm prescribed the ritalin and by itself it gives me the ability to focus (or stop hyper-focusing) but when I add even a couple of cups of tea into the mix (never mind coffee) I feel weird and sick in my stomach. Seems like they cancel each other out which I dont really understand..... It's a shame because I used to really enjoy drinking brews. Would have about 10 cups a day minimum but just have a couple of de-caff ones now.