• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction rinsing just used sharp with warm water

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i have only one insulin syringe to shoot and one luer lock syringe left for the micron filter. i dont wanna go to the exchange because i’m not gonna start this up again. plus this lame city — not currently in chicago, which has an amazing exchange will all kinds of options and ancillary services, shoutout to the chicago recovery alliance — wants you to turn the used needles in instead of giving you a red disposal box, and i didn’t save my useds. of course still appreciate them.

i washed the insulin syringe out with warm water immediately after i used it (30 minutes ago). can i use it again 6 hours later? i only need one more shot with it, this evening. i don’t wanna poison myself because the shot goes from the micron into the back of the insulin (with which i register), so any bacteria in the insulin sharp goes into me.

if that’s completely unacceptable, what about isopropyl? i don’t wanna use bleach because i’m at my parents’ and that’s an ordeal.

i’m only worried about bacteria. i hit on my first poke because i haven’t iv’d in weeks (good veins in result). so it’s not significantly dulled.

Last edited:
i have only one insulin syringe to shoot and one leur lock syringe left for the micron filter. i dont wanna go to the exchange because i’m not gonna start this up again. plus this lame city — not currently in chicago, which has an amazing exchange will all kinds of options and ancillary services, shoutout to the chicago recovery alliance — wants you to turn the used needles in instead of giving you a red disposal box, and i didn’t save my useds. of course still appreciate them.

i washed the insulin syringe out with warm water immediately after i used it (30 minutes ago). can i use it again 6 hours later? i only need one more shot with it, this evening. i don’t wanna poison myself because the shot goes from the micron into the back of the insulin (with which i register), so any bacteria in the insulin sharp goes into me.

if that’s completely unacceptable, what about isopropyl? i don’t wanna use bleach because i’m at my parents’ and that’s an ordeal.

i’m only worried about bacteria. i hit on my first poke because i haven’t iv’d in weeks (good veins in result). so it’s not significantly dulled.

When I used to re-use rigs I would rinse them w/ rubbing alcohol, and then water. Boiling water is good too. I have also used bleach and then water. If absolutely necessary, one of these methods is imo the best way to proceed. Using the cleanest water you can of course.

word. i’ll run isopropyl and then water through it before i shoot the second shot tonight. thanks for the reply.

normally i would never re-use. given how lightly i’m going to re-use, with a short time interval in between, and how much effort would be involved in getting another rig, i’m hoping it’s ok this once.

word. i’ll run isopropyl and then water through it before i shoot the second shot tonight. thanks for the reply.

normally i would never re-use. given how lightly i’m going to re-use, with a short time interval in between, and how much effort would be involved in getting another rig, i’m hoping it’s ok this once.

Yeah, I regrettably used to do this a lot. I would pretend they were practically "good as new". Only issue is the fucked up tip.

Only once I got cellulitis, but this was after a particularly dirty bender with alpha-php.

These days if I do it, I never have less than dozens of sharps.

I used to rinse it with water, then fill it with undiluted bleach and let it sit for 30 seconds, then rinse it out extremely throughly with preferably distilled or boiled water when I was between heart surgery #1 and #2 in some naive attempt to not infect the artificial valve.

what's my understanding is that you should use cold water since warm water is more likely to have bacteria in it. watch out.

Correct. Boil that water though if possible to simply kill all the bacteria, imo. As long as you got a pot, stove, and some water, you can be a professional antibiotic.

Correct. Boil that water though if possible to simply kill all the bacteria, imo. As long as you got a pot, stove, and some water, you can be a professional antibiotic.
You can actually boil the syringes, which is advocated by the harm reduction agencies of my country.
My tip for anyone doing it is that you should keep the thing which protects the needle on the syringe and cut the top of it off so the needle doesn't get dull when it goes around in the boiling pot.
It's probably the best method. Do it for 5-10 minutes and there should be no bacteria.

Another rando IV tip I've realized recently due to better preparation and maturity, is that oral syringes are very handy to have around. This way you can draw up your solution through the filter w/ an oral syringe, and simply transfer to your sharp.

This way your tip will be perfectly fresh w/o having to poke it on some cotton/filter.

Another rando IV tip I've realized recently due to better preparation and maturity, is that oral syringes are very handy to have around. This way you can draw up your solution through the filter w/ an oral syringe, and simply transfer to your sharp.

This way your tip will be perfectly fresh w/o having to poke it on some cotton/filter.
It's weird how US syringes work.
Here we have needles which can be taken off the syringe. They come in different package. For me it seems kind of unreasonable that you can't take the needle off.

Nothing worse than shaking like crazy and having the tip of your last fresh point damaged just trying to draw it up. Brilliant idea @deficiT

Here we have needles which can be taken off the syringe. They come in different package. For me it seems kind of unreasonable that you can't take the needle off.

Yeah, aren’t those the luer lock syringes? I always wanted to buy some of those back in the day, they seemed far superior to using insulin syringes designed for subcutaneous use for intravenous use.

Christ, reading this makes me realise just how bad my harm reduction practices were (this was before I discovered Bluelight).

When i ran out of pins I just used to crack open my sharps box, find one that wasn't clogged with blood and then Just rinse it through a couple of times. Luckily, I never had any problems...

Yeah, I've only ran into those in media. They always looked like big, professional style rigs in comparison to the high gauge little bitty insulin syringe.

I'm honestly considering to start using only .5CC syringes. I ran into one a couple weeks ago w/ a tiny tip and only half the barrel I'm used to, and as long as you don't need too much liquid, it felt like they were much easier to manage. I've always been a 31G 5/16 1CC type of guy, but I think a half CC syringe might be easier to handle and lead to less damage. Depending where you're going you can even be successful w/ smaller than 5/16" tip. Can't remember what the measurement is though.

I once accidentally had dozens of 1/2" tips and brutalized myself with them. I attribute that period to my lack of usable veins on my left arm.

Christ, reading this makes me realise just how bad my harm reduction practices were (this was before I discovered Bluelight).

When i ran out of pins I just used to crack open my sharps box, find one that wasn't clogged with blood and then Just rinse it through a couple of times. Luckily, I never had any problems...

You have no idea how jealous I get with the world when I hear stories like this. I definitely didn’t fare as well lol.

Yeah, aren’t those the luer lock syringes? I always wanted to buy some of those back in the day, they seemed far superior to using insulin syringes designed for subcutaneous use for intravenous use.
I don't know what they're called, but they are definitely better than insulin syringes since you can adjust the size and lenght of the needle by switching it.
If blood clot goes into insulin syringe you can't just get your dope out? That's fucked up.
Here you can just change the needle and boom you're ready to go.
These ones are 2.5ml-3ml instead of the 1ml which the insulin syringes are.
When doing strong shots it's better to have more of water.
This saves your veins, specially with drugs like speed.

Yeh you can, you just take the plunger out, pour the gear back into the spoon and draw up into another syringe.
Oh yeah, sorry. I know about backloading, how can I be that retarded?
But that sounds hard anyways and unreasonable punishment for getting the needle clotted.

I used to clean everything with isopropyl alcohol and then boil it in one of these for a few minutes:

There isn't really such thing as overkill when it comes to this stuff.

Unfortunately my syringes would get in pretty bad shape as they required a prescription in my state and were hard to get.