resistance vs. free weight

Nickatina

Bluelighter
I have heard that resistance training is not as effective as free weights. Is there any merit to this? I am much more comfortable doing certain exercises using resistance, as I am a beginner.

Free weights force you to balance the weight in many directions versus resistance machines which typically only exert resistance in 1 direction. That works more muscle and therefore has the potential to produce better results.

Free weights ARE resistance training.

I'm thinking you mean the difference between Free weights and something like Cables or Hammer Strength or any of the other machine options available?

I've been working out a long time and I still think that the most important thing is variety in what you do. There's some machines I simply don't like the motion of so I don't use them (ex. chest hammer strength machines) but I think there's a lot to gain from all forms of resistance training.

A good variety of both, however free weights are way better than machines

Do you think for someone who is a beginner to weight training would benefit from starting on the cable-type machines to build muscle strength first? Would it help, what I think I heard are called stabilizing muscles and assist in a healthy form when I use free weights?

Do you think for someone who is a beginner to weight training would benefit from starting on the cable-type machines to build muscle strength first? Would it help, what I think I heard are called stabilizing muscles and assist in a healthy form when I use free weights?

Definatley not!!!!!!! ! free weights for noobs:)

Do you think for someone who is a beginner to weight training would benefit from starting on the cable-type machines to build muscle strength first?

It depends. In terms of health benefits, no, free weights are probably preferable (although machines can be quite valuable too; there's no need to pick one side or the other.) However, most beginners have a serious lack of confidence with free weights, so machines (which stabilize the weight for you and 'guide' your movement...and which won't let you 'drop' the weight on the ground or fall on your ass mid-lift) can be psychologically far less intimidating than free weights.

It's far better to be lifting with machines than to not lift at all because you're afraid of the squat rack. :) HOWEVER, it would certainly be desirable to include free weights from the start.

Most 'home gym' machines like the Bowflex fall short in their ability to work the back and legs effectively. For instance, they rarely have a way to brace yourself properly for doing heavy rows, and usually don't have a very good way to work the hamstrings or lower back. They're far better than nothing, but not as good as a squat rack/deadlifting station.

What you need to start is some know-how(and with the internet its easy to find basic beginner workouts), a pair of dumbbells, and maybe a Swissball.

If you have a gym membership and they have machines then go for it. Make sure to ask how to properly use them for your goals though. Some gyms form circuits with the machines which is quite handy for beginners... You just follow the machines working on them one by one until you finish. Then you can rest, stretch, or go for a jog.

What are your goals? What's your diet like?

Free weights are even more important for a beginner as it works all of those stabilizing muscles which would be under developed if you were using machines so I reckon the majority of exercises should be free weight with a few intelligently chosen machines thrown in.

OP go free weight. Free weight gives more bulk better results & gains since it forces many stabilizing muscles to develop & rips each individual muscle fiber where as resistance will give you more isolated results. Sadly without the stabilizer muscles developed it will be rather hard to apply the resistance training to the real world, hope this helps.

P.s."MUSSSSSSCCLLEEEE MIIILLLLKKKK!!!!!!! "o_0

I almost always use free weights, both have their benefits. If you're just starting out I strongly recommend free weights over cable machines. You say you might want to do cable first to build some strength? I would say you should work on form and endurance first, which free weights is your golden ticket.

Clafable! (gasp now im the most badass) Best to just start on free weights IMO even though machines are a good supplementation later in more advanced work out routines.