• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderator: mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Gaming Resident Evil is rather dumb now...

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
I am known as thesaunderschild, in the RE community.

Over the years, Capcom has put out some good games, but the problem that has frequently plagued this series since 2005 was the move towards action and this has brought forth a lot of disconnected story aspects. RE4 to 6 especially, had crazy, convuluted storylines.

Apparently, Capcom wants to remake RE4 next. Already, the upcoming RE8 seems quite similar in how it will play out, to the original RE4.

Does anybody plan on getting the PS5 or the PS4 version, or whatever console they have?

D's

Moderator: NMI, TDS, TL
Staff member
I agree, there have been some really great RE games in the past. Then there haven't been any good ones at all.
RE4 was fun. I enjoyed playing it. I think I had unlocked all the special weapons and other perks. Was a fun grind.

schizopath

Moderator: Music
Staff member
I hope they arent trying to cash twice from RE4s success. It wont work. 8 already is like mini 4 and I dont feel like they could rework 5. Also 1-4 have way more reworkability as they are basically "classics", when compared to 5-7.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
I never got past RE4. It was mad decent, I too got all the unlocks and side-missions completed. I need to go play the rebooted 1-3 games.

Reactions: D's

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
Did anybody play the terrible RE3 remake? Next to that awful rail shooter called The Umbrella Chronicles - it's really lame!

Oh, God. Talk about a steaming heap of fresh cow crap. :poop:

Nemesis will follow Jill into rooms, like it's a game of hide and seek. Right? Yet somehow, he can launch himself up into the air when he gets bored. How can he even do they when there's a bloody ceiling in his way? It just looks ridiculous. Oh, man. :cautious:

Plus, the gameplay in the two recent remakes is incredibly linear. Gone are the days when these fanboys actually had to run back to rooms to get this, that, and the third, in order to push on ahead. Now everything is basically there for you to pick up as soon as you enter a new area. It's just so streamlined and mundane. You can tell these games were built with speed running awards in mind.

And another thing I hate is how Leon was made into this generic looking soy boy, who is running around the police station holding his handgun like he is desperate for the toilet, flirting with Claire, when the original has a more serious "end of the world" feel to it. However, the remake was also so very quiet in terms of the atmosphere.

The Tyrant that stalks you called Mr. X looked way more dumb than his original counterpart, and playing the game with the original soundtrack just didn't feel right either. It was entirely different in terms of the story, and with tons of absent enemy types as well, it was just a botch job of a remake.

I get that not everyone plays horror games for their story aspects, but the series has, quite frankly, developed an extremely convuluted arc ever since 2005. Because, I mean, the really old games were about the Umbrella Corporation, so the plot was essentially about what viruses they developed. Now all of the games have questionable plot points, and other than the fact that certain characters return in these newer games, it kind of feels forced, so that Capcom can sell more units. But ultimately, a lot of the games now feel flat out strange and boring as well. And that new fat merchant looks crazy.

In some sad way, it's like Shinji Mikami and Team Silent have been largely pushed aside by the so-called survival horror fanbase. They seem to care more about Hideo Kojima, when in my opinion, he didn't really have anything to do with Silent Hill becoming as popular as it is. All he did was make a demo, after all, and it was just full of silly little jump scares anyway. That's not very creative, to me. Team Silent deserves way more praise. But people just don't care anymore. This is why I have to ask if they're actually true survival horror fans. They're more like sheep. :sick:

6am-64-14m

Moderator: NMI, CD
Staff member
Man, don't talk smack about RE. 😁
Does anybody plan on getting the PS5 or the PS4 version
No but if "adapted" to PC or not I will play it on PC when possible.
RE was my entry into game consoles (PS1) after atari > pong. We got a PS2 after but since just PC. Can't go wrong as a "borrower" of good coding. lol

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
RE hasn't been scary in years. I wish they had did more games like the 2002 remake or 0, with those amazingly detailed, prerendered backgrounds. Now the modern ones are too much about shooting and looting. And they border on self-parody too much as well. I've lost count of the times they've added in a copy of the first game's mansion, as some sort of a throwback. And the way they redesigned Chris in 7 was dumb. He looked like he was 25 again.

Like, RE4 may be a good game, but I think it plays more like a strange spin off. It didn't have anything to do with anybody confronting Umbrella, so it took away the momentum that the other games had built up.

I mean, it would be like if you watched a popular TV series for years, thinking it was actually all leading to something, then they were then not going with whatever it was supposed to set up. You know? So RE is kind of similar.

ChinaGroove

Bluelighter
I loved RE7 and RE2RE. They caught lightning in a bottle with those two.
Then they released RE3RE. Honestly it felt rushed. I wish they would've took their time, released RE8 first then take their time with 3. I think after how successful RE2RE turned out, they just wanted to do another remake fast and piggy back off the success.

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
In the RE3 remake, they should have added Barry Burton in the ending. In terms of what is canonical, he actually saved Jill and Carlos in 1998, just before the city was destroyed by a nuclear strike.

Official media reported on it, too. Read the RE: Archives prints.

Capcom really screwed up the game in general.

ghostfreak

Moderator: DC
Staff member
Have been playing RE7 on Stadia and can’t get the time to open the damn floor hatch before the old guy drags me away and kills me. Doing my head in.

My favourite is RE3 - it was the first game I played in the series and really enjoyed it.

Ganjcat

Bluelighter
I am known as thesaunderschild, in the RE community.

Over the years, Capcom has put out some good games, but the problem that has frequently plagued this series since 2005 was the move towards action and this has brought forth a lot of disconnected story aspects. RE4 to 6 especially, had crazy, convuluted storylines.

Apparently, Capcom wants to remake RE4 next. Already, the upcoming RE8 seems quite similar in how it will play out, to the original RE4.

Does anybody plan on getting the PS5 or the PS4 version, or whatever console they have?
I remember when I first played res3 underage and not knowing what to expect I've never experienced anything as magically terrifying and perfect it used to have such an awesome and distinct style when I found out the remake was not 40 mins long and skipped the clock tower, park and chemical plant some of the best part of the game I knew what it was a lame disgusting money grabbed disrespectful to the original game even nemesis is a joke yeah he's alright for a boss but all his sections are scripted SCRIPTED!!! the original which was on ps1 I might remind everyone had At least 8 RANDOM encounters where he followed and stalked you through the city the fucker used to give me nightmares and their is no excuse for this when they have ps4 hardware at their disposal none at all and don't give me "they need to learn that shiny graphics aren't everything" because they learn that On the ps3 with res5 from all the critics they know all this but they don't care they are just being what a typical dev multi-million game monopoly company does best rip everyone off and get money and until we all unite and refuse to buy their games it will continue...

I was so hyped for the re3 remake after the re2 remake(which was a very surprisingly good game) I don't think I have been that hyped for a console game since gta 5... Oh well we live and we learn I suppose people who haven't played the original will enjoy this sorry excuse for a remake but at least I have the memories of the 2 bit original I don't think games will ever be as fun, intuitive and original as the nes -ps2 days I was hoping sony would do good On their promise to make a legacy libary collection of ps1 games on the ps5 I would buy it just for that and don't mention the crappy shitty ps1 classic the thing doesn't even have a freaking emulator built in... So all the games look like shit and people think they're supposed to look like that we just just remember them looking better no my naive friends.. The reason we remember they looked better was because they did look better.. If you don't believe me I still have my original ps1 in my grandma's attic that I play now and again and guess what no flashing dissapearing polygons no wobly lines no did get colours just perfect definitive gaming..

Last edited:

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
Yesterday, I found out that Sony wants to commission a remake of The Last of Us. This probably has something to do with the upcoming HBO series. But while the series COULD be good, it's not easy to capture the same magic from retelling the same story with different actors. There's maybe a few rare exceptions to the rule, but I hope Sony knows what they are doing.

I never, ever wanted Naughty Dog to become as commercial as Capcom is, since I had a feeling the cash cow would eventually come calling with Naughty Dog as well. Sadly, money gets in the way of making fine art. ALWAYS...

This is precisely why Resident Evil changed in 2005. Now it's being disgraced with this folklore nonsense, as you play a walking, talking, camera. :sick: