Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Reporting the deaths should stop?

The_Great_Refusal

Bluelighter
We all know that alot of ecstasy overdoses make big headlines. But that is just the media, not society. If the media reported every alcohol related death, the news would have a yucky story for viewers every night. Or even more so, Tobbaco related deaths. If the media reprted every one, there would not be enough time in the day to even take in all the deceased names.

So, if less people actualy died from cigarettes and booze, would the media then report it and make it a big deal?

Does the media realise how unbalanced their coverage is of the the world and society? Do they even care? They shape how people view everything thats going on, i think what they cover should be regulated by a higher authority.

I totally agree. Drink-driving kills lots of people, but almost everybody is guilty of drinking alcohol, so it's no big deal. I hate the media.

The_Great_Refusal I totally agree with your point too. I guess for the media Ecstasy related issues seem to make good publicity for them which I think is totally pathetic.

My main point is this. Many parrents out there, (like mine) have no real understanding about drugs today. They think that drugs today are what they were like 30 years ago which is wrong. For this reason many parrents often use the media as a resource for information about drugs which we all know is just absolute rubbish. The big problem now is that the media are also educating our parrents which is wroNG!!

there is a higher authority to govern the media. unfortunately they arent educated on drugs either and believe the shit that these journalists write. theres not alot anyone can do to put a stop to the progaganda crap that the media spews unless a respected scientist or politician releases a fact sheet with the REAL truths, risks, pros and cons to drugs. it will happen one day but when :(??

Many parrents out there

parents with 1 R ;)

The media is there for one reason: To sell advertising space, quite simple.
The trouble is 90% of the population forgets this when they pick up a news paper or switch on there commercial network info-tainment.

They don't give a fuck as long as they are making $

^ Pretty much it would appear.

Can you see the headline - Death Beer Kills Unsuspecting Driver.

I don't think so......

Having said all of that, there has to be a way to monitor the harm caused by recreational drugs. If there was a stringent form of reporting that allowed every hospital attendance and every death that was related to recreational drug monitoring to be recorded, then we coud genuinely compare the statistics between alcohol and recreational drugs. We are currently designing such a system in SA. These appallingly reported stories ironically increase the pressure for such a hospital-based reporting system, as well as the case for pill testing. Most overdoses that we see are as a result of binge use, and a profile in the media, in the absence of any real government funding for harm minimisation, helps to remind people at the most primitive level that taking pills is not an intrinsically safe practice.
So if there is a big conspiracy behind all of this media coverage, whoever is in charge of it isn't on NASA's payroll...:\

Dr Platypus , ive been a big fan of your work, you always have a very interesting approach in your replys and your information is always insightful and knowledgeable. Thanks for the good work!