• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Remakes of the old Sierra adventure games

Church

Bluelighter
In case anyone likes these kinds of games, I thought I might mention them...

There are groups of people who are remaking some of the earlier Sierra games into a VGA point-n-click style, like the games of Sierra's last few years. They've all done a really good job, IMO, and since Vivendi Universal (who bought the rights of all Sierra On-Line's old games) won't allow the original games to be downloaded as "abandonware," this is an even better option.

One is called AGDInteractive. They remade King's Quest I & II, and are currently working on Quest for Glory II.

Another is called Infamous Adventures, and they remade King's Quest III. I'm currently playing through it now. I always liked this one as a kid, but hated how it was in 16 color EGA. Not anymore!

Anyway, there are more games out there. Someone else did Leisure Suit Larry II... some people have redone the LucasArts Haunted Mansion games... they can all be downloaded here. This is the official website of AGS, which is the engine that was used to create those last Sierra and LucasArts games. This is different from the really old Sierra games, which used SCI Studio. Those were the "typing" games... remember those? LOOK AT WALL. PULL ROPE. CLIMB LADDER. USE AXE ON TREE.

So anyway, it's pretty cool that the game engine that such great games as Space Quest V were written on is now public domain. You can make your own old school adventure game now, just the way they used to do 'em!

I was bored, so I typed this.

Dude, I loved all those old adventure games. So engrossing...Hell, King's Quest and Space Quest games taught me how to type quickly!

Monkey Island 1 & 2 are quite possibly my favorite games of all time. They were challenging, funny, and I spent hours of time on them. I own all of them, so I've been meaning to download that SCUMM emulator to run them on my laptop. :D

I wouldn't mind playing through Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max, either. =D

I never played those two, actually. Although, I don't think LucasArts put out a bad game back then.

If I ever get locked up all I need is Grog, or "look behind you a 3 headed monkey". I grew up on those as a kid, it's a shame the genre's essentially dead.

Also, Guybrush Threepwood may be the single greatest character name ever.

^^^
I recently got a SCUMM game collection (Monkey 1, 2, 3, the dig, loom, fight for the amazon queen, maniac mansion, zak mccracken, Sam & Max, and MANY MORE 5.5 gigs worth of games in total) that are all point and click adventure games that work on any system with the SCUMMVM emulator! It's AMAZING! I am currently in the midst of playing Monkey Island 3 (with much glee,I might add) - a game that I have been waiting literally about EIGHT YEARS to play. It never came out on the mac and I feared I would miss an installment of Guybrushs wit - but no- years later it comes back around to surprise and amaze me. YES!

Insult swordfighting ftw.

It sure would be nice if these Kings Quest installments work on the mac, but after perusing a few of those sites I don't see anything... I loved all those games too! But not -nearly- as much as the point and click games from Lucas Arts.

I loved how LucasArts shamelessly advertised their other games inside games. That one pirate in MI1 with the "Ask me about LOOM" button. lol!

Heh, in MI3 they have some dead skeleton guy and when you talk to him he says 'Ask me about grim fandango!'. By the way, if you haven't yet played MI3 you really need to. The animation is a big step up from MI1 & 2 (though those were both great) and they really pump up some of the minigames. For instance you rescue stan from the coffin you nailed him into in #2! And what does he do ? Pops out of the coffin and starts trying to sell you health insurence! I'll be happy to provide you with a copy if you can't find it yourself.

Last edited:
Finder I'm pretty sure there are torrents around with all the classic lucasarts games. Full Throttle is great albeit a lot shorter than the other ones. Fate of Atlantis is one of my favourite games (but I'm somewhat obsessed with Indiana Jones so that may have something to do with it).

Grim Fandango is wicked too, I think it was the last adventure game they released. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't really kept up to date.

Oh, I'm fully aware that all those games are floating around, I just haven't gotten around to it. I do actually own quite a few of them, however. Most of them reside at my parent's place which is about a 15 hour drive from where I live, so obviously I'm going to choose the most convenient location to retrieve them from. ;)

Too bad they don't have police quest, that game was always fun

Turns out someone is remaking Police Quest II at the moment, actually. Here is a thread about the subject... it's closed, but as of early '06 the guy was still working on it. Seeing all of his screenshots in this thread is a pretty good indicator that he will see it through to completion..

The original Police Quest was already remade into VGA once before... by Sierra, when they were still in their heyday... so I doubt anyone will be remaking that one again. I've learned that most people who redo these games do it just to have their old favorites in VGA format.

Someone is also currently working on Space Quest III as we speak, as well. Saw some screenshots for it in that messge board.

I'm pretty sure there was a VGA version of policequest 1 made... I seem to remember playing it a few years ago.

You can get it here for free as it is Abandonware (a lot of these old games are abandonware meaning you can get them legally for free so if you get bored search through some abandonware sites with google - you'll find a shitload).

XTC Abandonware

Just search for Police Quest in the search function at the top right and the VGA version is there. You can get all 3 although II is only the original version and although III was already in VGA it is nearly impossible to play because the driving section moves too godamn fast!

Finder: I also used to own all the games at one stage or another but I think most of the cds are broken now :)

lostpunk5545 said:
I'm pretty sure there was a VGA version of policequest 1 made... I seem to remember playing it a few years ago.

See my post above yours...

And as far as the abandonware thing goes... Vivendi made a big stink not too long ago about all the old Sierra games being available for download (even though they have already expressed that they will never resurrect any of those old games), and issued cease-and-desists to most of the popular abandonware sites.

I was lucky enough to have downloaded as many as possible before that happened.

You can still find a lot of the sierra ones as far as I know on abandonware sites. I have no problem if a company wants to hold onto their games if they plan to rerelease them in some sort of package and make a few more bucks. But if they have no plans to rerelease them then they can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

They should follow Rockstars lead though and make them available for download themselves. Much props to rockstar for releasing their older games for free download:

Rockstar Classics.

You can get GTA I and II plus some other game I've never heard of. Note that these games are much more recent than the older Sierra ones so I don't know what Sierra's excuse is.

gotta throw full throttle in there finder, and the indiana jones games.