• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Refurbished Parts for PCs

GrymReefer

Bluelight Crew
I'm currently in the process of building another PC and as always am looking to cut some corners on cost. Has anyone here went down the avenue of purchasing refurbished parts that are still under manufacturer warranty? I've seen some positive experiences reading in various sites and forums, but was hoping to see if anyone here has had some personal experience with a setup.

Most def have used used (errrhmmm... refurbished) parts and pieces to build system and stress the hell out of the hardware before selling.
Question is who has good parts? LOL
Whacha lookin for @GrymReefer?

an i7 9700k and one the EVGA skews for the RTX 2080 Super.
Brother as long as the seller has a return policy go for it. This is key. Once you acquire said hardware run prime95 to stress CPU MemTest86+ to stress memory and the default coding to test GPU (or Video Memory stress Test if native test isn't available). Burn that shit but keep mobo cool of course. :sus:
One may already know these tests but they are in my toolbox.
Return policy. ;)
I mean... who da hell spends $$$ on something that may or may not work when needed?
Peace and keep it posted on progress?
What ya playing, editing or is autocad involved?

Edit: Nice cards in that website... got me thinkin but wouldnt have time to play anyway ATM damn

eVGA has the best RMA policy among the usual vendors so I would imagine if they're shipping refurb'd cards they are probably confident about them.

I've repaired GPUs before and generally if the repair goes bad it dies again within the first couple of months, sometimes it's unavoidable because it's not just a component that went bad but critical solder joints that can't easily be accessed, so it'll start working again after the repairs but remains susceptible to failure.

A 1-yr warranty seems reasonable, and IIRC eVGA also warranties overclocking so like @PtahTek said you can suss out any weakness by cranking up the juice and stressing the card

i almost always buy refurbished monitors - last monitor i bought to use as a second monitor was a samsung that retailed, originally, for about $180. i paid $65 at newegg. it looks and performs as good as new.

for other components, i usually buy new but, for one of my frankenmachines here, i bought a processor used on craigslist for $40 and the mobo on ebay for $50

alasdair

eVGA has the best RMA policy among the usual vendors

If you can get a refurb from an OEM, and they typically DO have a return policy, I'd agree with others this is the safest bet.

Only refurb I've bought was a monitor from NewEgg and it has continued to kick ass for nigh a year now. Hardware, like Ali, I tend to buy new (or salvage from older machines I had...but they tend to be too old to use).

In monitors often what goes bad is just a capacitor in the power supply unit so that's an easy fix that can keep it running for years more.

eBay/CL for used CPUs is a good choice, the biggest cost-saving performance boost is overclocking and the ceiling on gains is much higher using a fancier motherboard and cheaper/used CPU rather than an expensive CPU that gets hobbled by the limitations of a cheaper board.

I'm currently in the process of building another PC and as always am looking to cut some corners on cost. Has anyone here went down the avenue of purchasing refurbished parts that are still under manufacturer warranty? I've seen some positive experiences reading in various sites and forums, but was hoping to see if anyone here has had some personal experience with a setup.
Nothing wrong with buying refurbished hardware, when I buy refurbished parts eg. chipset or a CPU I go with a manufacturer refurbished item.

I'd rather buy a second hand part thats been tested and signed off by the people who built it rather than somebody random on eBay who has done a half ass job. Plus if you purchase a manufacturer refurbished part the majority of the time the manufacturer will add warranty on-top free of charge. You just have to keep a eye out.

I couldn't find a brand new version anywhere online of the laptop I've desired for the past 9months so I recently bought a Asus Predator Helios 500 laptop with a GTX 1070 graphics card 16 GB DDR5 ram and the latest model of i7 processor , fully manufacturer refurbished tested and cleaned by Acer Service Centre plus a year warranty on-top for $1800 AUD. You can find some pretty good deals at the moment considering everybody is strapped for cash.

Last edited:
May I ask what laptop one is seeking?
I have an ASUS gaming laptop as well but rarely use it anymore but it is bad ass....
Peace,
Ptah
A Predator Asus Helios 500 haha but with the i9 processor I couldn't get a new one anywhere not even one thats been refurbished so I settled for one with a core i7, just really wanted the i9 so I wouldn't have to upgrade anything for at least 3 years.

Which one do you have??
I've only recently migrated from desktop to laptop

gotta check tbh... lemme see i got it ripped apart atm but still playable. ill get a pic.
0QC953E.jpg

OBY3xVm.jpg

this thing is old but still does what I want when i want it to. :)
makes me wanna dust it off and play but watching pretzel atm.
peace

Last edited: