• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Refuge Recovery

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A great alternative to the 12 Step community. The Refuge community is far from perfect, and not quite my cup of tea, but it is a wonderful resource. All of the following is taken from the Refuge Recovery pdf:

Refuge Recovery said:
Refuge Recovery is a community of people who are using the practices of mindfulness, compassion, forgiveness and generosity to heal the pain and suffering that addiction has caused in out lives and the lives of our loved ones. The path of practice that we follow is called the Four Noble Truths of Refuge Recovery. This is an approach to recovery that understands; “All beings have the power and potential to free themselves from suffering.” We feel confident in the power of the Buddha’s teachings, if applied, to relieve suffering of all kinds, including the suffering of addiction. These meetings are appropriate for anyone in recovery, or interested in recovery. No meditation experience is necessary.

A pdf of the meeting list can be found here. For the most up-to-date list please see: http://www.refugerecovery.org/meeting-listings/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god they have meetings near me! I am going to try and hit one up this week or next. Ill give the low down when I do.

I would love to hear about how it goes, CJ. I've wanted to go to one for ages, but the closest one is an hour away. I do travel a lot for work, and there are a few around the state, so I hope to hit one up eventually!

I got a lot out of Refuge Recovery, personally. But it seems like I got a lot out of a number of recovery models...even AA.

- VE

^I always advocate for the discerning "cafeteria style"! Take a little from everything and integrate it all into your own vision.=D<3^

At least Refuge explicitly recognizes that there are many paths to recovery. This is why I can tolerate then as a group. They are an abstinence only type group for sure, but they are much more tolerant of harm reduction than 12 Step culture is.

You can start your own you know. If you want I can get you a free copy of the Refuge book Noah wrote. I'll even cover the cost of shipping in this instance :)

That's too bad that it doesn't appear to be in Canada as of yet. Which is where I live currently, tpd, do you know if it's possible for me to start one up here? I'm definitely interested in pursuing that!

Hell yeah! I'll have a book sent your way too. We will work out the details via PM.

Thanks TPD, upon further inspection I realized I was mistaken. They do happen in Vancouver, but unfortunately that is still 6 hours away from me! I look forward to your PM tpd, thanks again!

I read Dharma Punx, really good stuff. I've been wanting to check them out ever since. Luckily they have a ton of meetings in my area... gonna have to go to one soon!! Thanks for this toothpastedog :)

Checked the updated list. There's one only about an hour away but it is held on a day and time I always work. I'll read up on it and if I can wriggle out of a Saturday at work I will.

I finally hit up a Refuge Recovery meeting last night. (I've also read a good deal about RR.) Gotta say, I was surprised and a bit disappointed... It struck me as being very similar in orientation and motivation to standard 12-step fare, but with Buddhist principles used to paper over certain 12-step landmarks. Might be a good fit for other folks, but I'm afraid not for me.

One kinda funny thing: it struck me as crazy that meetings begin with 20 minutes of meditation, and no heads-up as to what's about to happen. I'm trying to imagine myself sitting through that when I was a dopesick junkie desperate find his footing. I would have been outta there so fast!

Yeah, it is very limited with the whole abstinence is the the only way hang-up. It is little more, if any, than another type of self help, twelve-steppy type organization. The do have some resources, but ultimately it isn't particularly my cup of tea.