• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Reducing Amphetamine Tolerance (Vyvanse 70mg)

Quiglesigles

Bluelighter
I have been struggling with reducing my amphetamine tolerance at therapeutic doses of Vyvanse. I was wondering which of these methods would help most to keep my tolerance low:
1. Taking breaks (either random days off or weekends off)
2. DXM (30-90mg every night)
3. Chelated Magnesium (200mg daily)
If any of my mg values are off, please tell me what I should be taking.

I am most interested in taking breaks from the drug but I am not sure if this will actually do anything. If this does work, what would be the best routine to stick to?

Last edited:
What would be the best way to take breaks? Should I try and clump them together so that I don't medicate for 2-3 days in a row? Or should I have one-day on one-day off?

I am prescribed 70 mg vyvanse 20 mg adderall xr...

FIRST THING- take breaks....I take 3 to 4 days sometimes week breaks in between dosing

SECOND THING- CHELATED MAGNESIUM..... I take 200 mg before....200 mg after peak....and 100 mg on come-down

THIRD THING- People will probably disagree...but EXERCISE and EAT HEALTHY...I work out every day whether it be intense weight training or cardio.....I have not needed to increase my dose yet....I have been at the same level for almost a YEAR

FOURTH THING- FUCKING SLEEP!!!! IF you feel like you can't sleep just lay down and imagine you're asleep or tire yourself out.....I haven't stayed up more than one night for probably four years and I am perfectly fine no depression no scatter-brain no nothing......

FIFTH THING- DO NOT REDOSE!!!! Take an amount in the EARLY MORNING that is satisfactory....do NOT redose in the afternoon later-afternoon no matter HOW TEMPTING IT IS! Just work (I work and go to school) and do something productive when you get the craving and tire yourself out......

I Have done these things for over a year with a prescription to Vyvanse and Adderrall and HAVE NOT NEEDED TO INCREASE DOSE TO FEEL THERAPUTIC/PHSYCOACTIVE effects.

Thanks for all the info. I cant quite understand the second line (starts with "FIRST THING"). How do you take breaks?

Thanks for all the info. I cant quite understand the second line (starts with "FIRST THING"). How do you take breaks?

Ignore the FIRST and FIFTH things, it's a bunch of crap that probably only works for him. I've been taking 15mg D-amphetamine for 5-6 years and there were busy study days where I re-dosed until 5 in the morning to the point where I was hearing the birds singing and didn't know if they were real or not. So in my opinion the not re-dosing thing is a bunch of crap. Magnesium is fucking important, as well as sleep and exercise.

I find that a few days off(3-4) works great at lowering my tolerance, as I am too on Vyvanse and Dexedrine.

Try to be active and go for a bike ride, walk or weight lift as these will produce natural feel good hormones to help you fight off urges of popping amphs. A multiple vitamin helps too.

Good luck-- careful not to take too much magnesium as it can build up to toxic levels if you already have a adequate intake.

I find that a few days off(3-4) works great at lowering my tolerance, as I am too on Vyvanse and Dexedrine.

Try to be active and go for a bike ride, walk or weight lift as these will produce natural feel good hormones to help you fight off urges of popping amphs. A multiple vitamin helps too.

Good luck-- careful not to take too much magnesium as it can build up to toxic levels if you already have a adequate intake.

very unlikely

I wish I could answer your question. I will tell you I'm on 10x 5mg dex a day, I have tried magnesium a few times and have seriously been considering it because I'm getting to the point were I'm taking 8 at once 2-4 times in a 24 hour period.
I love hearing the birds in the morning :)
I was on ritalin for about 5 years but that just made me scatterer and bad come down, for the last 3 or so years been on the dex started out 6 a day then 8,9 and finally 10 I dont know if it's a good idea to ask to increase my dosage again.........
I take breaks but the only reason is cause I have run out and can't get my script for up to a week or more sometimes.
Sometimes I take them responsibly but most the time have a huge binge for 2-4 days then scrap through with what I have left.
Only bad effects I get are saw eyes from reading. I can eat quite normally on any stimulant don't drink enough though. Right now I'v only had 1 decent night sleep in I think 4 or could even be 5 days. Don't know why I'm posting this because I have been reading bluelight for years now and not really made any comments mainly due to the fact all I read now is about RC's. but I seen this and have experience with it.

Ok so I have read somuch incorrect info on this website its ridiculous.

Validation for my ideas:
1. Been taking vyvanse since senior year in high school, Igraduated college in finance, its been about 2 years since then (so have beenon stimulants about 7 years)
2. A lot of my ideas are based off of trial and error, aswell as factual information
3. I started at 30 mg and am now taking 50 mg. I have takenAdderall IR, and XR a fairly high amount of times as well. I have also combinedmultiple drugs with stimulants. Examples include, Alcohol, Benzo's, andOpiates. I am currently clean of all other drugs for some time now, and justtake my vyvanse as prescribed at this moment, so I have no impairment in mylogic or rationalizations while writing this post
4. My scientific information will seem broad and ill-definedin terms of science, but it is based off my research that has been continuousfor many years now

I will run through all the major issues for everyone, allbased off a ton of experience:

A. Making vyvanse more effective: Not eating with vyvansewill diminish the effects for vyvanse users, especially in people that havebeen using it for a long time. Dopamine receptors require N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine(NALT), proteins, and other things in order for the neurons to transmitdopamine across the synapse and activate the receiving cell. I don't know fullyhow it works, I just know your brain requires nutrition in order to produce thenecessary things for this to happen. Also all the processes in the body thatlead up to transmitting these messages require nutrition as well. I mean comeon people, if you don't eat your body will not function as it should, and itwill not use vyvanse as effectively as it should. Common logic. Vyvanse maywork the first day without nutrition (maybe even for a week), but after awhile, not eating will affect how it works. This is highly apparent withlong-term users, short-term users may not be as prone but it's still the same.

Experience: I have eaten and not eaten multiple times, Ihave not eaten at first then eaten after taking the medication, and I haveeaten beforehand. It will still work without eating in some people (not as wellbut they may not know the difference), but through all the millions of times Ihave taken it, waited for it to kick in, then force myself to eat ameal....after I digest the food and it has been used, it kicks in way more thenbefore even at a normal dose. I have tried this with 50 mg and 200 mg, sameoutcome, just got way more out of it with the 200 mg then I needed.

Side Note: Not eating also makes side effects much worse.The zombie mode, heart issues, high BP, etc.... (you can find them all onforums and legitimate websites, I am not going to run through all that)
- Nothing else as far as I'm concerned does anything to themedication, l-tyrosine supplements do nothing, orange juice does nothing,alkaline/acidic ideas do nothing, and if any of this stuff had a real effectdoctors would tell you, but they don't expect to have to tell you to eat food.Duh.

B. Tolerance is based on lifestyle and the meds: Inhibitingdopamine reuptake does not cause the brain to produce less dopamine. Ifanything, the receiving neurons down-regulate the proteins responsible forreceiving the messages because it only needs a few to keep firing when dopaminehangs out in the synapses gap and keep causing the shock that activates thereceiving neuron over and over. Periods of abstinence can keep your neurons incheck and not cause the brain to change its processes since it will do justthat when it feels it no longer needs to pay attention to an area.
>Neuroplasticity=Brains ability to adapt to changesin its environment
As far as lifestyle.....exercise, diet, joyful experiences,etc.... all help the brain produce dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins (feelgood transmitters, dopamine and serotonin might be apart of endorphins? Notsure. Doesn't matter.) Helps tremendously with the drugs effectiveness and thecomedowns. This is because of neuroplasticity again. These activities causebrain to adapt in response to those things producing good feelings, positivemood, healthy physical attributes, etc....
- Taking high doses will have to be compensated for withabstinence and positive lifestyle choices based on usage amounts of vyvanse& how long. Binges will result in the brain starting to adapt to having ahigh frequency of the medication all the time.

Experiences: Have been on binges, have taken it correctly,and have tried switching stimulants multiple times. By the way, switching fromAdderall to Vyvanse or vice versa does not really do much at all, same stuffwill happen after a short amount of time.

C. Serotonin Reuptake (Anti-depressants) work quite well forthe comedowns, regulates mood during it and the next day in my experience. Alsohelps you sleep much better. Trazadone is great for this. Not extremelypowerful but still gets the job done. Of course this only works if you haveperiod of abstinence from stimulants/serotonin. Otherwise the same thing willhappen with serotonin in the brain (not nearly as severe negative impactsthough from abruptly stopping). This works because serotonin and dopamine havesome overlapping in terms of what they regulate and do.
- Alcohol during comedowns is a horrible choice, you willwake up dehydrated from the stimulant use and with acute withdrawal from thealcohol, making you even more dehydrated. In my experience it causes terribleanxiety, depression, and insomnia. So basically your just magnifying thenegative effects by 10x by using alcohol. Pulling brain both ways, depressingit and stimulating it, is a terrible idea for anybody.
>>> This also includes the use of opiates andbenzo's with vyvanse. Causes the liver to produce way to much "excitementproperties", which causes horrible symptoms when everything is stoppedtogether. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, decreased appetite, etc....will all bemagnified incredibly (especially with opiates because opiates effect dopamineand serotonin immensely by flooding the brain with it, so if you combineVyvanse and opiates, you will not only see some issues with down-regulation,you will also have no dopamine and serotonin to even send the messages in thefirst place)

Anyway, experience: Have had withdrawal with combined use ofVyvanse and each one of the others. Have had opiate withdrawal without Vyvansein my system as well. I know the differences tremendously well. This can alsoexplain why stimulants can help opiate abusers through withdrawal. One thing Iam certain of though is that the euphoria from stimulants is absolutely notfelt at all if you take them while in opiate withdrawal. It simply levels outyour mood/energy but not the physical parts associated with it.

>>>>>>The reason I brought this topic upis because it shows some really interesting relationships and tells me a lot onhow Vyvanse is working on its own. From here I will let readers come to theirown opinions as to what it means for Vyvanse, but the experiences are accurateand truthful through intuitive thought from multiple trial and errorsituations.

Side Notes: Stimulant psychosis is hard to get too. You needto take a ton of Vyvanse, I would most likely need to take like 500 mg at onetime. Adderall is not nearly that high but it is still a large amount, probablylike 100-150 mg. Someone without any tolerance would get there with smalleramounts, but they will feel it perfectly with just 30 mg.
- Children should never take stimulants that alter brainchemistry like Vyvanse. Their judgement is not developed, the forebrain has alot of developing to do still, and the brain will be constantly changing inchemistry until they are at least 18, if not 22-23. I don't even want to knowhow it effects a child, its most likely horrible.
- Older people, 40+, will have a more difficult time withkeeping tolerance managed. There dopamine has depleted naturally somewhatalready and the brain doesn't seem to fix things as well when you grow older(or as quickly might be the correct term).
- People without "ADHD" (parenthesizes will beexplained at end) will suffer the negative consequences of stimulants at agreater magnitude, but based on everything I have read, everyone has some sortof comedown/withdrawal. Never met or heard of anyone that doesn't, even with friendsthat have terrible "ADHD/ADD" supposedly.

>Final Thoughts: Alright so lets face the facts andeveryone stop lying to themselves. This stuff is bad for you. It is changingbrain chemistry and messing with the way it operates naturally. Even if"ADHD" is a real condition, I still lean towards the idea that itsnot, this doesn't seem like a good way to fix it. Stimulants are gettingover-prescribed everywhere now and people can cheat the tests easily.Increasing dopamine signal frequency effects many other things along withcorrecting symptoms of ADHD. The reason we all take it is because it seems thebenefits outweigh the costs, which is the general premise of any decision. Allin all, manage your tolerance and live as healthy as possible if you take it,that's the only way we can really manage the negative effects.
- And last but not least, remember neuroplasticity. It isthe reason anything is changing in the brain because the brain is adapting to anew scenario in its environment. There is always a cost with something thatprovides such powerful actions on our anatomy. That much is clear to anyonethat takes stimulants or any other drugs for that matter.

> Anything else related to Vyvanse is usually a hoax or acrazy weird situation. It was someone out there with the incorrect gene code tobe taking a stimulant like Vyvanse or Adderall.

- I probably missed some stuff so if you have any questionse-mail me

-And yes I am on Vyvanse right now, how else would Ihave done all this shit.
- And for god sake, don't wasteit, realize your potential with it and use the benefits as much as you can. Ex:I am currently getting my second degree in Electrical Engineering, whileworking.

Last edited:
Taking breaks as well as DXM (I believe you had the dosage right) will help a lot with tolerance. You should take DXM while you are on a break, too. When you take the DXM, you should also take a cayenne supplement as well as a grapefruit peel supplement. I believe that these supplements help the DXM absorb better. I am not 100% sure on the science behind why those supplements are good to take with DXM. I learned everything from my boyfriend, N0 W4RN1NG. He probably lists the reasons as well as other ways to help with amphetamine tolerance somewhere in another amphetamine thread. I hope I was of some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I have read somuch incorrect info on this website its ridiculous.

Validation for my ideas:
1. Been taking vyvanse since senior year in high school, Igraduated college in finance, its been about 2 years since then (so have beenon stimulants about 7 years)
2. A lot of my ideas are based off of trial and error, aswell as factual information
3. I started at 30 mg and am now taking 50 mg. I have takenAdderall IR, and XR a fairly high amount of times as well. I have also combinedmultiple drugs with stimulants. Examples include, Alcohol, Benzo's, andOpiates. I am currently clean of all other drugs for some time now, and justtake my vyvanse as prescribed at this moment, so I have no impairment in mylogic or rationalizations while writing this post
4. My scientific information will seem broad and ill-definedin terms of science, but it is based off my research that has been continuousfor many years now

I will run through all the major issues for everyone, allbased off a ton of experience:

A. Making vyvanse more effective: Not eating with vyvansewill diminish the effects for vyvanse users, especially in people that havebeen using it for a long time. Dopamine receptors require N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine(NALT), proteins, and other things in order for the neurons to transmitdopamine across the synapse and activate the receiving cell. I don't know fullyhow it works, I just know your brain requires nutrition in order to produce thenecessary things for this to happen. Also all the processes in the body thatlead up to transmitting these messages require nutrition as well. I mean comeon people, if you don't eat your body will not function as it should, and itwill not use vyvanse as effectively as it should. Common logic. Vyvanse maywork the first day without nutrition (maybe even for a week), but after awhile, not eating will affect how it works. This is highly apparent withlong-term users, short-term users may not be as prone but it's still the same.

Experience: I have eaten and not eaten multiple times, Ihave not eaten at first then eaten after taking the medication, and I haveeaten beforehand. It will still work without eating in some people (not as wellbut they may not know the difference), but through all the millions of times Ihave taken it, waited for it to kick in, then force myself to eat ameal....after I digest the food and it has been used, it kicks in way more thenbefore even at a normal dose. I have tried this with 50 mg and 200 mg, sameoutcome, just got way more out of it with the 200 mg then I needed.

Side Note: Not eating also makes side effects much worse.The zombie mode, heart issues, high BP, etc.... (you can find them all onforums and legitimate websites, I am not going to run through all that)
- Nothing else as far as I'm concerned does anything to themedication, l-tyrosine supplements do nothing, orange juice does nothing,alkaline/acidic ideas do nothing, and if any of this stuff had a real effectdoctors would tell you, but they don't expect to have to tell you to eat food.Duh.

B. Tolerance is based on lifestyle and the meds: Inhibitingdopamine reuptake does not cause the brain to produce less dopamine. Ifanything, the receiving neurons down-regulate the proteins responsible forreceiving the messages because it only needs a few to keep firing when dopaminehangs out in the synapses gap and keep causing the shock that activates thereceiving neuron over and over. Periods of abstinence can keep your neurons incheck and not cause the brain to change its processes since it will do justthat when it feels it no longer needs to pay attention to an area.
>Neuroplasticity=Brains ability to adapt to changesin its environment
As far as lifestyle.....exercise, diet, joyful experiences,etc.... all help the brain produce dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins (feelgood transmitters, dopamine and serotonin might be apart of endorphins? Notsure. Doesn't matter.) Helps tremendously with the drugs effectiveness and thecomedowns. This is because of neuroplasticity again. These activities causebrain to adapt in response to those things producing good feelings, positivemood, healthy physical attributes, etc....
- Taking high doses will have to be compensated for withabstinence and positive lifestyle choices based on usage amounts of vyvanse& how long. Binges will result in the brain starting to adapt to having ahigh frequency of the medication all the time.

Experiences: Have been on binges, have taken it correctly,and have tried switching stimulants multiple times. By the way, switching fromAdderall to Vyvanse or vice versa does not really do much at all, same stuffwill happen after a short amount of time.

C. Serotonin Reuptake (Anti-depressants) work quite well forthe comedowns, regulates mood during it and the next day in my experience. Alsohelps you sleep much better. Trazadone is great for this. Not extremelypowerful but still gets the job done. Of course this only works if you haveperiod of abstinence from stimulants/serotonin. Otherwise the same thing willhappen with serotonin in the brain (not nearly as severe negative impactsthough from abruptly stopping). This works because serotonin and dopamine havesome overlapping in terms of what they regulate and do.
- Alcohol during comedowns is a horrible choice, you willwake up dehydrated from the stimulant use and with acute withdrawal from thealcohol, making you even more dehydrated. In my experience it causes terribleanxiety, depression, and insomnia. So basically your just magnifying thenegative effects by 10x by using alcohol. Pulling brain both ways, depressingit and stimulating it, is a terrible idea for anybody.
>>> This also includes the use of opiates andbenzo's with vyvanse. Causes the liver to produce way to much "excitementproperties", which causes horrible symptoms when everything is stoppedtogether. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, decreased appetite, etc....will all bemagnified incredibly (especially with opiates because opiates effect dopamineand serotonin immensely by flooding the brain with it, so if you combineVyvanse and opiates, you will not only see some issues with down-regulation,you will also have no dopamine and serotonin to even send the messages in thefirst place)

Anyway, experience: Have had withdrawal with combined use ofVyvanse and each one of the others. Have had opiate withdrawal without Vyvansein my system as well. I know the differences tremendously well. This can alsoexplain why stimulants can help opiate abusers through withdrawal. One thing Iam certain of though is that the euphoria from stimulants is absolutely notfelt at all if you take them while in opiate withdrawal. It simply levels outyour mood/energy but not the physical parts associated with it.

>>>>>>The reason I brought this topic upis because it shows some really interesting relationships and tells me a lot onhow Vyvanse is working on its own. From here I will let readers come to theirown opinions as to what it means for Vyvanse, but the experiences are accurateand truthful through intuitive thought from multiple trial and errorsituations.

Side Notes: Stimulant psychosis is hard to get too. You needto take a ton of Vyvanse, I would most likely need to take like 500 mg at onetime. Adderall is not nearly that high but it is still a large amount, probablylike 100-150 mg. Someone without any tolerance would get there with smalleramounts, but they will feel it perfectly with just 30 mg.
- Children should never take stimulants that alter brainchemistry like Vyvanse. Their judgement is not developed, the forebrain has alot of developing to do still, and the brain will be constantly changing inchemistry until they are at least 18, if not 22-23. I don't even want to knowhow it effects a child, its most likely horrible.
- Older people, 40+, will have a more difficult time withkeeping tolerance managed. There dopamine has depleted naturally somewhatalready and the brain doesn't seem to fix things as well when you grow older(or as quickly might be the correct term).
- People without "ADHD" (parenthesizes will beexplained at end) will suffer the negative consequences of stimulants at agreater magnitude, but based on everything I have read, everyone has some sortof comedown/withdrawal. Never met or heard of anyone that doesn't, even with friendsthat have terrible "ADHD/ADD" supposedly.

>Final Thoughts: Alright so lets face the facts andeveryone stop lying to themselves. This stuff is bad for you. It is changingbrain chemistry and messing with the way it operates naturally. Even if"ADHD" is a real condition, I still lean towards the idea that itsnot, this doesn't seem like a good way to fix it. Stimulants are gettingover-prescribed everywhere now and people can cheat the tests easily.Increasing dopamine signal frequency effects many other things along withcorrecting symptoms of ADHD. The reason we all take it is because it seems thebenefits outweigh the costs, which is the general premise of any decision. Allin all, manage your tolerance and live as healthy as possible if you take it,that's the only way we can really manage the negative effects.
- And last but not least, remember neuroplasticity. It isthe reason anything is changing in the brain because the brain is adapting to anew scenario in its environment. There is always a cost with something thatprovides such powerful actions on our anatomy. That much is clear to anyonethat takes stimulants or any other drugs for that matter.

> Anything else related to Vyvanse is usually a hoax or acrazy weird situation. It was someone out there with the incorrect gene code tobe taking a stimulant like Vyvanse or Adderall.

- I probably missed some stuff so if you have any questionse-mail me

-And yes I am on Vyvanse right now, how else would Ihave done all this shit.
- And for god sake, don't wasteit, realize your potential with it and use the benefits as much as you can. Ex:I am currently getting my second degree in Electrical Engineering, whileworking.

Thank you for going the extra mile in regards to sharing all of this information with me. I completely feel you and I love that I've learned some new things.

With Gratitude,

Rah

Yeah, NMDA antagonists like DXM or memantine can and do help but finding the right dosage is kinda tricky.

Yeah, NMDA antagonists like DXM or memantine can and do help but finding the right dosage is kinda tricky.

Even 1mg of memantine taken with vyvanse becomes so sedating for me I can barely stay awake :)

Even 1mg of memantine taken with vyvanse becomes so sedating for me I can barely stay awake :)

Whoa, never heard of that but I guess it will be the alpha 7 nicotinergic antagonism, which is pretty strong but also does upregulate very quickly so if you use it for some more time, and with higher dosages the dopamine agonism comes more into play.