• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Reduced SSRI response after 2-3 weeks? (Lexapro/Escitalopram)

Mask0ff

Bluelighter
Hi All,

I started Lexapro/Escitalopram about 3 weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks for the positive effects to begin (owing to the 5ht1a autoreceptor desentiziation).

However, the euphoric effect I began to experience at that point has seemingly died down after 3-4 days. Is there a pharmacodynamic reason for this, and has anyone come across it?

I'm checking to see if there is downregulation of post-synaptic receptors but would appreciate any guidance.

Currently on 5mg of Lexapro daily.

Rectify

Bluelighter
Yes, the diminished response of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors after a short period of time is thought to be a response to receptor down regulation.

If you haven't done any in a long while, Prozac (fluoxetine) is actually a somewhat decent stimulant, in my experience.

But good luck trying to roll on that one, because you won't. And it's half-life is somewhere around 2 weeks!

ibtisam midlet

Bluelighter
I'm checking to see if there is downregulation of post-synaptic receptors but would appreciate any guidance.
yes, there, generally SSRIs downregulate SERT (it seems non permanent neuron toxicity) so the problem is not the body upregulating SERT to develop tolerance to SSRIs
tolerance develop starting on receptors, in advanced phrase of tolerance other mechanizem of tolerance join in like decrease serotonin release and tolerance on second messenger system and downregulation on oxytocin (HT1a increase release of oxytocin, serotonin don't work from him self unlike dopamine) also downregulation on enzyme that product serotonin etc..

some people will develop complete tolerance to SSRIs but its rare (im still getting moderate effect after 12 years)