• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Reduced SSRI response after 2-3 weeks? (Lexapro/Escitalopram)

Mask0ff

Bluelighter
Hi All,

I started Lexapro/Escitalopram about 3 weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks for the positive effects to begin (owing to the 5ht1a autoreceptor desentiziation).

However, the euphoric effect I began to experience at that point has seemingly died down after 3-4 days. Is there a pharmacodynamic reason for this, and has anyone come across it?

I'm checking to see if there is downregulation of post-synaptic receptors but would appreciate any guidance.

Currently on 5mg of Lexapro daily.

Yes, the diminished response of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors after a short period of time is thought to be a response to receptor down regulation.

If you haven't done any in a long while, Prozac (fluoxetine) is actually a somewhat decent stimulant, in my experience.

But good luck trying to roll on that one, because you won't. And it's half-life is somewhere around 2 weeks!

Hi All,

I started Lexapro/Escitalopram about 3 weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks for the positive effects to begin (owing to the 5ht1a autoreceptor desentiziation).

However, the euphoric effect I began to experience at that point has seemingly died down after 3-4 days. Is there a pharmacodynamic reason for this, and has anyone come across it?

I'm checking to see if there is downregulation of post-synaptic receptors but would appreciate any guidance.

Currently on 5mg of Lexapro daily.
I've been meaning to post on this thread since it started.

I experienced the exact same thing but with Fluoxetine. Felt like a new human being within the first few hours (not euphoria per se but just a lifting of a blackness) and this lasted about two weeks. Next thing: hit a wall again (although more like a sponge when compared to the ups and downs I've been experiencing in the last eighteen months or so). But I've stuck with the stuff because I know only too well it can take anywhere between three and six weeks and even as long as three months for it to truly be effective.

But my question to you is (hence my posting here): are you taking anything ELSE e.g. benzodiazepines? Although this is something that I'm embarrassed about because I should have known this: using Alprazolam together with Fluouxetine may increase your blood levels of Alprazolam or cause it to stay in your body longer. This can cause symptoms such as excessive drowsiness. And that leads to that low feeling (again) (in my case). I'd been tapering from 2mg Alprazolam for a few weeks and got down to 1.25mg before starting with the Fluoxetine. But I've now found that tapering further to 1mg Alprazolam has brought back the initial feel good feeling of Fluoxetine. The end goal is to be on ONLY the Fluoxetine and fuck the benzodiazepines. But oddly enough and for reasons still unfathomable to me: the usual anti-depressant treatment regimen is the prescription of an anti-depressant accompanied by a prescription for a benzodiazepine when in fact, and according to my latest research on the topic, the benzodiazepines are counteracting the effects of the SSRIs (and then the depression is being perceived as treatment resistant when in fact it's the benzodiazepines that are causing the problem).

I don't know if any of the above is applicable to Lexapro (I've not checked). But just curious because as I say: I've just experienced exactly what you did when you started this thread. Your timing was impeccable if I'm honest.

For what it's worth and on a personal note: I think it's pretty important to manage expectations with this shit. And to realize that even the best of us have those off and down days. When you're taking anti-depressants and they initially give you a hop, skip, and jump in your step and then if that stops then there is a tendency to throw your hands up in disgust and make the decision to move on (which I'm not doing at any cost). Also easy to become disappointed and beat yourself up because you're not on top of your game every single day and feel like, or fear that, you're going backwards but you're still taking your anti-depressants as prescribed.

Last edited:
I have tried both Celexa and Lexapro, both started working great about 1 to 1+1/2 months taking them, (different times)
at 3 to 4 months they were completely useless.
Crash and burn.

I have tried both Celexa and Lexapro, both started working great about 1 to 1+1/2 months taking them, (different times)
at 3 to 4 months they were completely useless.
Crash and burn.
Interesting. Then may I ask you: were YOU only taking the anti-depressants or taking them with something else e.g. benzodiazepines?

From my experience, both recently and from some years back, it doesn't seem to take much (another substance) to upset, pause, or temporarily reverse the seemingly delicate balance they they create is my point.

Interesting. Then may I ask you: were YOU only taking the anti-depressants or taking them with something else e.g. benzodiazepines?

From my experience, both recently and from some years back, it doesn't seem to take much (another substance) to upset, pause, or temporarily reverse the seemingly delicate balance they they create is my point.

I've suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, so yes I was using Ativan at the time, but I've only ever took benzos for panic attacks, I always consider it a good day when I don't have to take any benzos, what I'm saying is I never took them unless I had to.
When experiencing panic attacks it had taken up to 10, 1mg Xanax within in less than an hours time,