• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Recreational use of 2-Methyl-2-butanol

Just got me a 500ml bottle of it. It smells different than I had expected - very "naptha like." I mixed 5ml of it with a 23oz Arizona green tea. After thoroughly mixing it, I barely taste the flavor, but it's definitely still there. Very unique flavor, not great, but tolerable. I'll report on its effects later.

Anybody have a good idea of what flavors to mix with this stuff?

Okay, 5ml is a medium buzz for me. Definitely more hypnotic than ethanol, and it totally doesn't last longer than ethanol for me - if anything, shorter. There was sensitivity to bright light, that's about it. I'll try 7.5ml now.

Okay, I could definitely go further. I still have my wits about me, a little more talkative, not slurring. Just like ethanol, my tolerance may be high. (12 beers @ normal strength is nowhere near visibly drunk for me)

10ml would be next on my agenda, probably tomorrow after work.

Hey ballstoyousir!,

Glad you are enjoying yourself and more so that you are taking it slow and steady. If you redose while blacked out it would not be pretty.

Other Drugs however is not for trip report style posts and while you're welcome to post any questions you have here or begin discussion on the drug, if you want to give details of your trip in the usual format I'd recommend you wait until you're done all your experimenting and then nicely format it and post it in the Trip Reports forum. Note that there is nowhere on the site that really allows live update posting.

If you have any questions about this give me a shout.

I can't believe people think 2M2B doesn't give a hangover- I found the day after 10ml I felt spaced, vague,sick and un-coordinated. I'd almost rather have had a straight ethanol hangover.

Hey ballstoyousir!,

Glad you are enjoying yourself and more so that you are taking it slow and steady. If you redose while blacked out it would not be pretty.

Other Drugs however is not for trip report style posts and while you're welcome to post any questions you have here or begin discussion on the drug, if you want to give details of your trip in the usual format I'd recommend you wait until you're done all your experimenting and then nicely format it and post it in the Trip Reports forum. Note that there is nowhere on the site that really allows live update posting.

If you have any questions about this give me a shout.

Didn't know that, thanks! I was just adding my thoughts on it - I'll try not to do it like that.

I can't believe people think 2M2B doesn't give a hangover- I found the day after 10ml I felt spaced, vague,sick and un-coordinated. I'd almost rather have had a straight ethanol hangover.

I found its "hangover" to be spacey as well, but not as much as a bona-fide ethanol hangover, and I've become very accustomed to ethanol hangovers over the years. There's a difference definitely, but ethanol's for me is more obnoxious when I do get it. That's so far - when I get up this afternoon I may have a different take as my dose was higher this time.

I took 10ml of 2m2b and got a medium-ish buzz. 8 hours later I was offered beer with some friends. The whole day I didn't feel overly inebriated from that one dose or anything, so I drank a few beers. Suddenly I was plastered drunk from very few beers that normally wouldn't do much of anything regardless that the 2m2b perceptibly wore off hours before.

Interesting...

The bromide salts have a risk of creating a syndrome which are marked by: widely varied neurological and psychiatric symptoms and may include the symptoms of restlessness, irritability, ataxia, confusion, hallucinations, psychosis, weakness, stupor and, in severe cases, coma. The effective range of dose for bromides(sodium bromide,lithium bromide) is 500mg to 1 gram. The toxic range is produced at around 5 to 6 grams. If you take 1 gram tonight of bromides in 1 month you will be taking 10 times as much and this is when the toxicity occurrs. Thanks for your post. Helped me to remember when I used to use those older hypnotics like ethchlorvinyl(Placidyl), Doriden(glutethamide), meprobamate(Miltown), and my favourite Nembutal.

2ml to 6ml of 2-methyl-2-butanol is good for me. I often mix it with a small amount of vodka and either water or juice or soda. The taste is a strong chemical one, but also has a mint flavor to it. I find it lasts longer than ethanol, and it doesn't mess with coordination as much. It's also more mood lifting than ethanol. 2-methyl-2-butanol seems to potentiate the effects of ethanol, so don't even think of having a few beers with it. The effects of 2-methyl-2-butanol are somewhere between ethanol and benzos, but sort of more clear headed. You still do silly stuff sometimes though. There's little to no hangover. Of the 500ml I got, there might be 430ml left or something. I only use 2-methyl-2-butanol once a week or less. It's like getting inebrieted in a subtler and somewhat more sophisticated way. I also like the fact that there are no toxic metabolites. I often call 2-methyl-2-butanol either 2-methyl-2-butyl alcohol or 2m2bOH because 2m2b refers to 2-methyl-2-butene. %)
I picture of a spacefill molecule of 2m2bOH
24buc76.png

Metabolism of 2m2bOH
xfuqom.png

Last edited:
^
That's right, exactly the substance I'm talking about.
2-methyl-2-butanol is just another name for the same thing.

I know there are going to be four more people trying this soon. They will all be writing at least a short description of any effects they get both positive and negative. They'll also make comparisons with other sedatives. Between them, they have experience with ethanol, GHB, chloral hydrate, benzos, barbiturates, and maybe some other things.

I'm sure anyone interested at all in it would like to hear from more people than just me. Maybe with this info anyone with any interest can make a more informed decision about whether to try it or not. I for one am very interested in finding out if others find this chemical as pleasing and free of side effects as I do.

I've already decided that I'll never touch the stuff again if any of the people who are trying it out experience any significant side effects.

I'm going to post another message to this thread of some messages sent to and received from Beenhead regarding possible carcinogenic potential. The MSDS says it isn't suspected of being one, but I doubt much testing has been done regarding consumption, so that isn't too much comfort. Beenhead stated this opinion because chemicals with similar structures are known to cause cancer, including ethanol.

He seems to think that the type of risk associated with this chemical will likely be similar in nature to those of ethanol, but of course can't say with any certainty what the dangers or degree of the danger is. I just thought this information may be of interest to some of you, especially those who seem interested in trying it, and Beenhead is okay with these messages being posted.

If Beenhead or anyone else with the knowledge can do so, I would like to know what kinds of health risks are associated with strain alkyl chains, as one of the messages mentioned it contained that and they are generally bad for health. I guess I'll just send Beenhead a message to ask that question, so you don't have to worry about that. I'll be sure to post the answer.
Hi im one of the increasingly rare group of people who has tried phenobarbital a barbiturate and I tried both 2m2b and 3m3p I would say that 2m2b and especially 3m3p have a very similar effect but slightly weaker less euphoria for example especially at higher doses of 2m2b/3m3p then phenobarbital but 2m2b and 3m3p last quite a bit longer

I've tried a very similar compound, 2-methyl-3-butyn-2-ol. This is the same as 2-methyl-2-butanol, just with a triple bond. I think it's supposed to be a bit more potent.

It gives you a sort of generic sedation that's somewhat nice. You have to take at least 1ml to feel anything and more like 3ml or even more to feel it fully. Often you end up taking even more.

I'd say it's not as good/enjoyable as 1-ethynyl-1-cyclohexanol, but besides that it has at least two advantages. First, it is water soluble, so you can just mix it with some juice or something. (I found multivitamin drink and a drop of peppermint oil works good, this masks the horrible taste.) Second it is much much cheaper.

I'm not sure it's the best substance for your body though, as I get a strange taste in my mouth several days after using it. Also one time I got this white icky stuff come out of the tonsils. And if you take a high dose, which is easy to do, you will feel sedation for one or more days afterwards.

One of my friends took a very high dose (~25ml) and ended up in the hospital for several days. Lesson learned: don't give experimental drugs to junkies.

You might want to look up Science 114: 384 (1951) and Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 33:482 (1953) for info on this compound and it's close relative methylpentynol.
Hi ralf2 I'm johnHighfield 47 Im always looking to try out new downers so I have a question? You tried 2-methyl-3-butyn-2-ol what was it like? I might be interested in seeing if it's any good