Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

PoOkIeHeAd

Bluelighter
my bads if this has been done b4 but another thread inspired this.

pretty simple just as title saids. try and post link to trailer as well.

so i'll start.

i just finished watching this and thought it was decent considering the dark subject matter

Title: The Bridge

It tells the story of a few people that committed suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate bridge told thru their loved ones after the fact. Its definitely a downer but sometimes u just gotta be down I guess. At the very least it'll open ur eyes a little wider.

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw the bridge a few years ago coming down and it made me cry, i was in a very depressed state of mind.

some id recommend.

The Kid Stays in the Picture Trailer traces the meteoric rise, fall, and rise again of legendary Hollywood producer Robert Evans.

Trumbo centers on Dalton Trumbo, a screenwriter and member of the Hollywood 10 who vaulted from the A-list to the blacklist and back again.

Man on Wire The film chronicles Philippe Petit's 1974 high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of New York's World Trade Center.

American Movie (my personal fav) a film that documented two of the three and a half years Mark Borchardt spent writing, shooting and editing his horror short

The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

this is a great documentary about marijuana. best i have seen yet!

Great thread idea!

I recently saw Shark Water and it is worth watching for the footage of the guy swimming with and feeding sharks by itself.

You'll also learn a lot about sharks and why they're being wiped out.

Searching for the Wrong-eyed Jesus

This follows alt-country singer Jim White through the deep south of the US hitting juke joints, churches and backwater burgs driving a beat up Chevy Impala showcasing people, the locales and the music of what almost seems like a foreign country. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

jonestown_l200610201803.jpg

trailer
imdb

It's brilliant. You can watch the entire thing on youtube if anyone's interested.

House of Cards full video

Must watch for anyone craving a concise and relatively deep look at the many facets of the recession. This is what people need to be watching as opposed to Zeitgeist: The Trilogy, or whatever people are gulping by the gallon these days.

By the way, you need to sign up for a free Hulu account, if you haven't inexplicably signed up for one anyways and have a laptop HDMI'd to your television right next to the Blu-Ray or DVD player. Just do it, no catch.

Originally Posted by Yippee Skippy
Zoo

Agreed. There was a mod here who many people didn't understand named Fausty who was a zoo, so they reacted like he was the plague and he basically just quit BL because of it. This is a movie that is an oversimplified view of the culture, and while I don't get it on with animals, this film is the only thing I have really seen that offers an open-minded view of the sexuality of Zoos.

devilsplayground.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n518iLqRekM

I enjoyed this documentary, showing Amish teens having their first taste of freedom and the "English" way of life before committing to the church. They have wild parties and get involved in all kinds of things you wouldn't expect, really interesting insight into something I had very little previous knowledge of :).

damn vegan those are some good ones... and Baraka in high def on youtube is honestly just fucking beyond mindblowing its the definition of beautiful thank you for posting those links much appriciated :)

Kevin Brownlow's Hollywood.
An amazing 13 part documentary from 1980 about the rise and fall of the American silent film. It's not just about movies but about these people coming together and creating a totally new art form.
There is no other documentary like and there will never be another because 99% of the silent film people are dead now. This is THE documentary on silent film.
Interviews with many of the silent film stars, directors, camera men, stuntmen, etc. Narration by James Mason.

This hasn't been released on DVD because their are a bunch of copywrite issues and people demanding money. Getting it on VHS will cost you several hundred dollars. Someone FINALLY put the whole damn thing up on youtube. Watch it before it gets taken down.

Episode 1: The Pioneers
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Episode 2: In The Beginning

Episode 3: Single Beds and Double Standards

Episode 4: Hollywood Goes To War

Episode 5: Hazard Of The Game

Episode 6: Swanson and Valentino

Episode 7: The Autocrats

Episode 8: Comedy - A Serious Business

Episode 9: Out West

Episode 10: The Man With The Megaphone

Episode 11: Trick Of The Light

Episode 12: Star Treatment

Episode 13: End Of An Era

Brownlow also did a documentary on the history of the silent film in Europe called Cinema Europa. I think it can be found on youtube. Not as good as Hollywood, but worth a look.

Last edited:
Alone in four walls - doc about a military style prison for boys in Russia and their anxiety about returning t the outside. For many of these boys the prison is much better than their previous life. They get to live in a structured environment, learn how to do chores, study, exercise, are treated with respect and no one abuses them.

great suggestions.

the only one i've seen thats been mentioned is Baraka and DAMN was that just amazingly simple complex and beautiful at the same time. Celebration of LIFE and of course Death.

But yeah definitely checking out some of these. Docs are such a great thing IMO just b/c u get briefed/intro thing delivered in a efficient and effective way. for some one that does not have a lot of time to learn and for that matter "grow" they are definitely win.

lets carry on.

Addicted to plastic - about the plastic industry and its effects on environment especially the oceans.

The business of being born. - about the fact that birth is treated as a medical emergency in the US and only 0.5% of women have home births. There is way too much intervention and drugs given to women. Hospitals want birthing women to get out of there ASAP so they speed up the process with meds which is traumatic for the woman and child.

The world according to Monsanto - about a huge organization involved in biotechnology and agribusiness doing horrible things to people and environment. They take seed of food crops, change one gene and want to create a monopoly on food crops. Their seeds aren't much better than regular crops, are 4 times more expensive and in many parts of the world non Monsanto seeds aren't available. They dump their waste into lakes and rivers and take no responsibility for it. Horrible, horrible company who doesn't care about anything but their profits. I wish a meteorite came down and destroyed all of it.

Chances:The women of Magdalene. About a home in Nashville Tenn for prostitutes/drug addicts that allowed them to start new lives. Very touching.

Nursery University - About the difficult process of getting your child into the best nurseries in NYC. Even if you're super rich it doesn't guarantee that u'll get a spot in the best nursery and the process is very involved. Crazy. These are around $15,000-25,000 per year.