• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Rec weed has ruined the market

but only if it was honest down to earth weed as God intended :) fuck the new school shit though.
As God intended, or as Mother Earth made it, doesn't really exist any longer. Humans have been selectively breeding cannabis for its psychoactive properties for MANY centuries now, so long that virtually all naturally occuring instances of cannabis growing in the wild are nonexistent. It's just mostly one long trajectory of increasing potency and it's not a coincidence you're drawing the line at an intersection point with your own personal nostalgia. Weed is better than it's ever been and I'm an old, oldschool cat, too. Sure, there are lots of wrinkles to iron out still, but all legalization is a step in the right direction at least and it's lead to an overall decrease in law enforcement funding by swaying public opinion regarding softer drug use.

If anything, NYC has been fucking up the game for a long time now, what with their fake eighths marketed as $50s but containing < 2.9 grams, and ALL THE FAKE VAPE CARTS especially those with Vitamin E oil added to it by dickhead drug delivery services in the city and outer boroughs. And I mean, WTF? I thought NYS and NYC would've been one of the first east coast towns to go fully legal, but shit, you still can't legally buy flower in NYC, only 0.4g carts sold for $100/each is approved by the state. Oh and should I bother going into the Rockefeller laws, or can I trust that most people know what those are or would at least Wikipedia that dismal nightmare?

Plus smoking weed had a little bit of outlaw charm to it when it was illegal
It's still illegal in plenty of places/jurisdictions in the U.S. not the least of which are the aforementioned New York and of course on the Federal level it's still a Schedule I substance, and is used as the sentencing basis for drug crimes according to the United States Sentencing Guidelines where all drug amounts are inexplicably converted to an equivalent weight in "marihuana", I shit you not. You want outlaw charm? Go spark up in front of a couple NYPD and watch what happens. That decriminalized bullshit only applies if you're searched and an officer finds it concealed on your person. Actually displaying the cannabis in public is still an arrestable offense.
Skip me with the named strain, hydroponic, cartoon color shit though.
You don't see as much hydro anymore as it's considered to have inferior taste to a complex, soil-grown plant's buds. Truly if you dig a little deeper, I think you'd find that we're in a better place now than we were 25 years ago picking through two dozen seeds just to roll a joint only to discover you missed one as said joint pops, burns, and tastes like crap while someone spouts off nonsense about seeds making you sterile or something.

I like the changes for the most part. I've grown enough weed where I don't have to buy weed again for at least a year if I don't want to. I'm still trying to get through the stuff I grew two years ago. This is a golden age of weed IMO.

My state has had legalized medical marijuana for a while before rec, but not a single medical marijuana dispensary before 2015, and the DEA took note of any applicants in the state's program, which at least had a chilling effect on participation. The rec movement has really spread cannabis and its benefits far beyond what had existed before.

Yes, there have been negative developments, like the encroachment of BS corporate-kinda stuff you'd expect with the move towards a legal market, but better than what had existed previously? Without a doubt. I don't look back at the past with nostalgia when it comes to weed, I can't stand the ignorant crap that happened back then

it's not a coincidence you're drawing the line at an intersection point with your own personal nostalgia. Weed is better than it's ever been and I'm an old, oldschool cat, too.
Not an unfair point. Rose tinted glasses and all that, especially now that I don't do any drugs anymore. You're also right to say that it has been engineered so to speak for a long time back to when they were coming out with sinsemilla and even before. I still think things have gotten out of hand though with the amount of "engineering" that is going on. At a certain point the alkaloid ratios have to be messed up, and I'm talking about more than THC and CBD and what they advertise with the med/legal pot.
If anything, NYC has been fucking up the game for a long time now, what with their fake eighths marketed as $50s but containing < 2.9 grams, and ALL THE FAKE VAPE CARTS especially those with Vitamin E oil added to it by dickhead drug delivery services in the city and outer boroughs. And I mean, WTF? I thought NYS and NYC would've been one of the first east coast towns to go fully legal
Yeah, NYC weed market has been stupid for a long time, at least with delivery services. I've been out of that scene (and the City) for a while but that jibes with my experience. Eights were indeed never eights and grams were more like 7 or 8 points. What can be said for it is that it was always high quality. If I can judge by memory though (entirely subjective of course and colored by nostalgia) it was not as over the top as a lot of the medpot. I don't know what it's like now but I assume it's worse.

Going uptown or to the very few downtown "spots"/general areas to cop that are left or getting to know dealers outside the commercial delivery business you'd find better deals, though, as well as less commercial styles of weed. True, that's where you find dirt weed, or as we used to call it in less PC times, "n——r weed," but they had good stuff too. "You just got to poke around" as the song says.
You want outlaw charm? Go spark up in front of a couple NYPD and watch what happens. That decriminalized bullshit only applies if you're searched and an officer finds it concealed on your person.
O/T: NYPD, at least when I was living there, largely minded their own business when it came to weed as long as you were doing it in an appropriate area and not being a dick. Go to one of the several downtown parks where the street kid types hang out and they're always smoking without being bothered by the cops, who are often right there. Discretely walking around town with a joint or doing it in an out of the way section of Central Park or on a bench in some quiet area, uptown or downtown, isn't going to get you arrested either.

Now, be playing loud music, thugged out in appearance—and yes I'm aware of the racial connotations here and speak of not being harassed by cops as a White man, albeit one who lived mostly in Black neighborhoods—or whatever, and yes, the cops may bother you. But if you're discrete weed is de facto legal.
Actually displaying the cannabis in public is still an arrestable offense.
This is true, and cops used to have a dick move where they'd ask you to empty your pockets and the arrest you for displaying marijuana in public. I forget which DA put a stop to that but I think it was during Bloomberg's last term. But still, discretion largely avoids problems. If not displayed in public, e.g. at your apartment, <25g is a $100 ticket for the first time. If in public, discretion, and possibly being White, is the name of the game as I mentioned above.
You don't see as much hydro anymore as it's considered to have inferior taste to a complex, soil-grown plant's buds.
I didn't know this. I thought a lot of the high test was hydroponic, although thinking on it I was aware that that are plenty of commercial outdoor farms out there.
Truly if you dig a little deeper, I think you'd find that we're in a better place now than we were 25 years ago picking through two dozen seeds just to roll a joint only to discover you missed one as said joint pops, burns, and tastes like crap while someone spouts off nonsense about seeds making you sterile or something.
LOL yeah I remember Mexican Brick Weed. When I talk about the good old days though I'm talking about locally sourced outdoor "green weed," as we used to call it—I was in upstate NY at this point, lots of good growers there back in the day (many of whom are middlemen for California now)—no seeds, medium sized buds. Then at some point the major commercial stuff became the Canadian BC bud, which was OK, but inferior to the "green weed" to most of us. These were similar in price.

Then there was pricier prestige stuff. But still I feel like it was not as hardcore as the current crop of named strains. Truly, though, maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety. I still think there's more to it than that. You can't selectively breed for high THC again and again and again without messing with the less well understood alkaloids and I suspect that's where the problem lies.

Related more to the nostalgia factor, there's just the potency. Relaxing with a big joint is nice. That would get you way too high with current commercial weed, unless you have a stupid tolerance.

I can't really compare but I also suspect they dollars to donuts you're not getting as high for your money even though the new stuff is potent af. It's like twice the price. And don't get me started on the concentrates and stuff they have. One time I found commercial medical hash though and that stuff was great, I'll admit. Stronger than the "hockey pucks" that used to go around but it felt nice, too. I bet that that weed they use to make it is not as strong as the stuff that they sell.

Last edited:
You can't selectively breed for high THC again and again and again without messing with the less well understood alkaloids and I suspect that's where the problem lies.
So this was an issue circa 1998 - 2003. The sativas were the only strains high in THC and because the Scrog method was super popular then and it relied on a trellis, the plants were bred to a point were the stalks were no longer strong enough to support the plant when buds formed. This was a major problem and the flavor was missing from the bud as well. At this point, growers began to hybridize the sativas with indica plants renowned for producing stalwart hemp fibers and having thick, strong stalks. This is why most strains today are hybrids that lean either sativa or indica.

Oh and I wasn't implying that the best buds are grown outdoors. To the contrary, they're still grown indoors, it's just that composted "hot soil" is the preferred medium for most connoisseurs out there as opposed to coconut coir or any other hydroponic substrate. The top-shelf indoor bud grown now is just wonderful, and the concentrates that are produced now from CO₂, such as what they call "shatter", is just mind-blowing both in flavor and effects. I think there's a tendency to put down all aspects of cannabis smoking when one decides to quit and starts viewing things as having been better back in one's prime. Probably helps convince oneself that they're not missing out on something. Or perhaps I'm just speaking from my own personal experiences and observations and I'm actually the one in denial of the current reality of the situation.

This is true, and cops used to have a dick move where they'd ask you to empty your pockets and the arrest you for displaying marijuana in public. I forget which DA put a stop to that but I think it was during Bloomberg's last term.
Yeah I think that was around the time Bloomberg's notoriously racial-profiling “stop-and-frisk” policies were abandoned as the civil rights violations that they are. But yes, I know about that move, and yeah you were just about reading my mind when you mentioned white privilege, and plus every time I've been to the city, it's a common experience to be walking down any street or avenue at damn near any time of the day or night and find oneself walking through some random cloud of someone else's chronic smoke exhalation. I know how ubiquitous weed is in NYC and how you won't generally get hassled for it unless some prick cop decides he's got a hard-on for you. To anyone who's been through that experience, weed doesn't seem very legal, and of course, possession with intent to distribute will remain a felony probably for the long haul. Unless you run a dispensary, you cannot legally sell weed anymore than you can legally sell moonshine.

I'm not even sure I want it legalized on the federal level. It's probably better off in this state-controlled, artisanal, smaller batch pattern that sorta mirrors amateur/hobby/small-scale wine-production and microbreweries. Federal regulation could spell the end of that if Big Pharma swoops in and severs THC from its plant source, puts it in pill form and says, “Here you go, America. Feel free to do as we say.” Then, turning to the rest of the world, Big Pharma bamboozles most of the other nations to follow suit, just like when drug prohibition went into place originally under the unsophisticated advice of one Harry J. Anslinger, that worthless, joyless, rat bastard piece of prohibitionist monkey garbage. For real, fuck that guy; I'd like to piss on his grave for all the damage he dealt, directly and indirectly to innocent people, not the least of whom was Billie Holiday whom he stalked like the uncool, obsessive weirdo that he was. I highly suggest checking out the book, "Chasing The Scream" by Johann Hari.

EDIT: and before anyone potentially mentions it, yes, I know about Marinol, and I'm just fleshing out the big picture of what could happen upon full legalization. Let's not nitpick (am I making my own nose bleed before the schoolyard bully does?)

Last edited:
I picked up a legal ounce today and it was the lowest price yet that I’ve paid. All of a sudden instead of 6-8 cannabis stores in my city, there are ~30 since the government anyone to apply for a license to sell (all it takes is money, a criminal background check (might be waived/0 and a secure storefront.

So yeah. Instead of feeding off of a limited number of store, choice is increasing and prices are constantly lowering. Well, one store that I’ve been going to for ~20 years as a head shop only acquired a cannabis license for all of their stores. And as opposed to the limited inventory of accesories/bongs/etc they have their entire inventory available for same day shipping. And knowing their customers very well, they’ve concentrated on oz’s and cartridges. I’m pretty sure they are selling at close to wholesale distributor price - but they’ve got their own strong non cannabis sales. For them I think, selling cannabis is just the icing on the cake; although I was aware of intentions 9 yrs ago.

But for every good store there are 2 bad ones it seems; from stores that seem to think a license to sell cannabis means a gold mine to stores that price weed @ more expensive than cocaine, methamphetamine or other drugs.Stores that think it’s ok to sell stock that is over a year old or ones that only post ranges of THC levels rather than specific numbers for specific lot #’s.

The usual range of retail customer experiences.

The good after 29 months of legalization
-prices are in free fall for flower and cartridges (only 15 months legal)
-selection is improving
-quality is improving
-stores are stores getting closer to where I live

The bad after 29months of legalization
-still illegal to sell non cannabis food in stores or online ordering for courier delivery. It only make sense to be able to sell snacks along with weed, no?
—limit on edibles, although understandable at 10 mg THC for beginners, I find too low. I suspect others might as well. Some companies are getting around the limit by having say 20 individual foil wrapped chocolates inside one package meeting the limit of 10 mg per individually packaged piece. Hey, who cares if you have 20 little bags Inside of a bigger, quite childproof bag
-same thing goes for drinks; 10 mg

Tom

Last edited:
Recreational cannabis use in Australia is still light years behind other progressive nations, so reading about your experiences OS ^ is enlightening. Our efforts here are curated by decent individuals who would do well to learn from the pitfalls described as we try to transition from nanny-state to grown-ups with minds of our own. I don't doubt their good intentions but it will take more than altruism to keep the parasites at bay on the production side and the consumers' best interests at heart. The black market has boomed here for decades because of prohibition and despite State and Federal Govts. trash-talking ideas for change. To that end, we still have a long way to go before we get to gripe about the mechanisms and states of supply. Shit, CBD products are still extraordinarily difficult to access legally here, so imagine how pissed off we get hearing about pet-owners in a quandary over how they should dose their dogs because of the vast range of products to choose from. So, spare a thought for we poor wretches Downunda when you shop around for your next bag of choof. Prohibition is a Jurassic mindset we've learned to live with here, but the bastards won't keep us down. Sorry if that came over as rant.

lol so funny how I used to think Australia was a more liberal progressive version of America back when I was younger I hear they still freak out over violent video games there.
I spent 2 - 2 1/2 months there back in 2006. Once this cop yelled at me for skateboarding on the wrong side of the this deserted back street and screamed "yo this aint america get on the other side of the fucking street"; I also also turned right into oncoming traffic bombing a hill in Sydney.

This other time a wild cassowary.

Wait... you can only buy a 1/4 oz at a time in Canada? That's awful! Anyone who actually smokes buys ounces or more so they don't spend an arm and a leg on dime bags...
Not true it is one ounce at a time, you can possess and gift to another adult the same amount. You are allowed to have 1000gms (1Kg) in your home. The stuff is dirt cheap here in BC. Even my small town dispensary sells ounces for 119. Can buy kick ass edibles etc online...a candy store.

Not true it is one ounce at a time, you can possess and gift to another adult the same amount. You are allowed to have 1000gms (1Kg) in your home. The stuff is dirt cheap here in BC. Even my small town dispensary sells ounces for 119. Can buy kick ass edibles etc online...a candy store.
As I understand it you can have up to two plants growing as well, right? So much for Sea of Green growing; I’ll bet Scrog/trellising & topping is the popular way to grow, though I doubt if it saves much money if you crunch the numbers. Growing the right way is not cheap; good lights will set you back a bit, plus energy consumption, time and effort spent gardening, grow tents, in-line fans, and various other supplies, nutrients, etc.

What’s the status on psychedelic truffles in Canada?

Despite its illegality there is a pretty strong home-grow culture across Australia. We love our pot despite what the law has to say. Getting pinged for growing a plant in your backyard is bad enough, but if you happen to grow your plant under a light indoors then this is viewed as 'enhanced cultivation' and attracts extra scorn. Infantile.

‘In Quebec, I think it is 150g at home. In Manitoba, no limit at home and it’s the same in Alberta, Ontario, Price Edward Islamd, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland/Labrador. In Nunavut, 150g at home..

Tom

As I understand it you can have up to two plants growing as well, right? So much for Sea of Green growing; I’ll bet Scrog/trellising & topping is the popular way to grow, though I doubt if it saves much money if you crunch the numbers. Growing the right way is not cheap; good lights will set you back a bit, plus energy consumption, time and effort spent gardening, grow tents, in-line fans, and various other supplies, nutrients, etc.

What’s the status on psychedelic truffles in Canada?

4 plants growing at a time everywhere except in Manitoba, which has a number of zero (0) plants. Physicians specifically licensed/trained can administer/prescribe mushrooms but those are extremely limited and brand new legality wise. Black market they are all over the place sold openly on the clear web.

Tom

Last edited:
4 plants growing at a time everywhere except in Manitoba, which has a number of zero (0) plants.

Why not include Québec this time too, knowing that retro-active privileges were granted to landlords who may eventually wish to proceed with a legally-authorized EVICTION?? It turns out most people didn't even know they had to object within a pre-termined delay never heard of before it was practically too late to reflect and organize. Which is a big if considering the rest were automatically deemed to have implicitely accepted the interdiction and assorted consequences. As i keep pointing around here pointlessly, when simply put in terms we all understand one just needs to be a lanlords himself and the wealthy type with 9 meters clearance at that...

M'well, wasting time again and i'm not even going to get started about TV propaganda tonight! Good try.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

P.S.: Who on any side of the border would dare suggest that CBD is "recreational" enough to even justify such stiff penalties??

CBSA sets new penalties for crossing the border with cannabis (2021-Mar-26)
L'ASFC établit de nouvelles pénalités pour le passage de cannabis à la frontière (2021-Mar-26)

Still treating it as a narcotic long after the UN/WHO recognized it's not...

🦕🦖🕸️

When I was buying street weed I always bought at least a quarter pound at a time, up to a pound. Those were the people I knew and they didn't want to screw around with little bags. Toward the end, before Florida made it legal, I was still paying $250-$300 an oz but it wasn't ragweed.

I am fully for legalization.
The regulation was always going to be questionable, but whatever it takes to stop turning smokers into criminals...

I spend a fair amount of time in Colorado and legalization there was amazing. The dealers that still operated had to have
amazing prices and good quality to compete. I was able to get zips of good weed for $160-200 last time I was there.

Its the opposite where I live though. Legalization seems to have dried up the majority of the black market leaving only
really cheap schwaggy stuff that you have to look for. Thats kind of a bummer, because I smoke a lot of weed and work
too much to grow, that has effectively driven the cost of smoking way up for me.....

All my dealer friends started working for the industry so I find myself with almost no connections now. Thats a very strange place
for me to be in. Maintaining that network used to take a fair amount of effort, now its just gone...

Last edited:
poppies everywhere 🦄
Funny enough poppies are everywhere. Our town hall where our police station is had a full garden of red Papaver Somniforum growing all around. Shows how ignorant people can be, that we have decorative opium poppies growing but in people's mind the real drug poppies are in Afghanistan. I have seen poppies in a lot of different places including in fields. But I like the idea of gardens and gardens of all the goodies we could want. ;)

I have mixed feelings about legal weed. The folklore that has sprung up is incredible. We use to get a sack of weed and that was that, now they are strains that supposedly do all kinds of different highs acording to the strain name. And the Indica and Sativa thing and all the info and expected results. I have had Indica's that stimulated me and Sativa's that made me sleepy. And any and all cannabis ends up making me sleepy and hungry. The whole CBD thing annoys me to great extent. To separate the plant and remove THC because it "gets you high" irritates me to no end. I am one that thinks "the high" is the medicnal part and extends into the psychological part of healing. Insight is a healer, but to remove the THC because it is the "bad part" really really irritates me. (can you tell yet?)

I so have to say I have not seen the real strains of the past in years. Alcapulco Gold, Panama Red, Columbian, Black African and a hole host of others we use to get in the 70's and even early 80's. even. Sensimilla and Thai stick were the hight test. And sometimes Hawaiin. These seem all but past memories.

But I do like the current cannabis as it all seems pretty potent. It is the new "experts"and folklore that get to me. And I do remember the guy on a bicycle in NYC that you called and they came over with their expensive 8ths. Really though in NYC even back in the late 70's and 80's you could go to certain bodega's and get buzzed into a back room for all kinds of amounts. In Los Angeles certain streets also catered to people wanting some.

somebody used to list in the Village Voice for 1-800-WANT-POT and you'd call them and they'd meet you on the corner where you told them you would be

they got busted eventually (shocker)

i like bubble hash but not that 5 or 6 star blonde stuff that goes for stupid prices - that stuff is harvested too early and not given enough time to cure...i like the old school oxidized hash that was cured for 3 months before running

True, that's where you find dirt weed, or as we used to call it in less PC times, "n——r weed," but they had good stuff too.

We never called it that!

tenor.gif

smilespin.gif

As far as my personal opinion, I think legalization is good no matter what. That's because I know at least in my experience mmj is good. Like I said in another post, the best weed you find on the street is mmj even if you're in a state where it's banned. It just costs more because it was shipped there. Sure there's good homegrown indoor/outdoor, but it's not easy to get all the time unless you're lucky.

Plus it's kind of nice to know what you're using (besides dro), even if it's just a hybrid. Most people don't seem to know what they're growing and it's kind of like you don't know if you're getting an indica or a sativa, in general (not always).

EDIT: Also, homegrown is expensive at or close to the same price as medical marijuana. Again unless you're lucky, then it might be more worthwhile than mmj

Last edited: