• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Rec weed has ruined the market

Jimbo green

Greenlighter
How has legal weed destroyed things for you? Here in new england anything decent even in the traditional market has sky rocketed back to old prices

Not sure of the cause. Here in vermont we can only home grow so we either have stuff being brought in or over priced shitty homegrown. When it first went legal here it dropped then in the last year prices have juat made a steady increase

Ah shit, is it really that bad? I'm from Boston (currently in Orlando) and I've been wanting to go back home for ages but I can barely afford weed here as it is. 😖

Salutations Jimbo Green,

How has legal weed destroyed things for you?

Not necessarily in order of importance:

The 2018 "Légaleezation" of Justin Trudeau translates as much a more prohibitionist attitude in my province, now people can't even wear a cannabis leaf in print while police spending multiplies and green money gets pumped outside our borders.

Going "legal" replaced random predatory dealers with an even more abusive state monopoly now requiring even elders as myself to provide their ID cards simply to pass the door.

Industrialization imposed "Tumbled Weed" as a new production standard, which implies the ratio of vegetal tissue over trichome glands gets raised in a way to expose consumers to even more substrate contaminents.

Speaking of which, Hydropothecary/Hexo which was Québec's only LP until 2016 (now moved to Ontario...) published the non-detection concentration level of myclobutanil, a Pest Control Product that used to be BANNED because it turns into Hydrogen Cyanide, a legacy of Germany's Zyklon gas as that of jew extermination camps. Back in 2016 this made the news one day before new year's eve, with Health Canada remaining contemplative when everyone was busy elsewhere. Some while later the same company (which eventually changed its name to get rid of such stigma...) even promised "kosher" grade - which doesn't really make any sense for smoked cannabis anyway! ... Today H.-C.'s list reaches over a hundred products that even expensive laboratory analysis mail fail to find excessive, although individual toxicity effects do not just add up: they multiply and they're getting sprayed by the dozen, to boost toxicity and pretend it's safe even in total absence of epidemiologic background on synergy effects!! Never before a crook pushed the cork this far without having to fear his clients to simply walk away, E. G. keep in mind there are no alternative "compassion clubs" or "dispensaries" available to citizens of my province, while savvy PCP soups are actually designed to pass testing based on individual concentration levels as for kosher Zyklon - now tolerated if "traces" remain weak enough... We're talking about turning whole populations into long-term guinea pigs here, so the federalists can feel like dancing elsewhere.

Sterilization by ionising rays from radioactive cobalt-60 and similar is yet another legacy of bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionists trying to induce further Distrust & Fear in the mind of young consumers themselves, pretending to protect Public Health nonetheless. It fails to remove pest poop and their toxins while destroying aroma/taste, as if tumbling didn't make this shit sufficiently repulsive already - on top of shaming vulnerable/misinformed over-charged/over-taxed consumers with public-paid propaganda.

Last but not least, even when Hexo announced marketing of their "Original Stash" truth was that it still would have cost 2 $/g more than what was openly suggested by Québec's Greenhouse Producers Association in 2017. Not to mention home-growing got banned here, thanks to liberal sinister of "healthy ways" Lucie "Nez Rouge" Charlebois.

In The Name Of Children.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Legalization literally opened the floodgates for CBD to ride the coat tails of THC (which actuals does something. )

When legal cannabis hit Canada in 2018 I was worried that if legal prices were higher than black market, that it would cause illegal prices to rise. I had seen a slow increase in the price of prescribed cannabis over a number of years, and had sticker shock when legalization hit .

The Canadian black market responded by lowering their prices, offering even better services and giving customer loyalty points like you’d get at a grocery store. The variability of choices, quality and actual availability are still better black market.

As Canadian companies started to bring more production capacity online they have increasingly started to face cash crunches. They were slow to respond but have begun lowering prices. Hexo, Aurora, Canopy Growth, Tigray and others faced growing cash crunches - they all offer ‘bargain’ brands. There were deep discounts at Xmas time 2019 and this continues.

One government retailer (New Brunswick) found that lowering prices meant bigger sales,

And the black market keeps lowering prices.

Tom

Last edited:
Ah shit, is it really that bad? I'm from Boston (currently in Orlando) and I've been wanting to go back home for ages but I can barely afford weed here as it is. 😖
I got friends that go down to mass and they come back all excited that they bought their legal weed. Good work bub you just paid 50/slice

When legal cannabis hit Canada in 2018 I was worried that if legal prices were higher than black market, I was worried that it would cause illegal prices to rise. I had seen a slow increase in the price of prescribed cannabis over a number of years, and had sticker shock when legalization hit .

The Canadian black market responded by lowering their prices, offering even better services and giving customer loyalty points like you’d get at a grocery store. The variability of choices, quality and actual availability are still better black market.

As Canadian companies started to bring more production capacity online they have increasingly started to face cash crunches. They were slow to respond but have started lowering prices. Hexo, Aurora, Canopy Growth, Tigray and others faced increasing cash crunches - they all offer ‘bargain’ brands. There were deep discounts at Xmas time I. 2019 and this continues.

One government retailer (New Brunswick) found that lowering prices meant bigger sales,

And the black market keeps lowering prices.

Tom
That's what im worried about here in the states. In vt we are having a bill rammed down our throats thats basiclaly going ti insure that a coorperate company can come in and monopolize the market

just as a quick aside - Co60 gamma irradiation is used to ensure a sterile product and doesn't degrade the active THC nor the flavor compounds - similar processes are used in fruit & veg handling as a "residue free" means of pest/microbial control. SOunds scary, sure, but it's far from the nastiest thing happening to your weed.

To anyone in Massachusetts, are you legally allowed to mail weed within state?

In Canada, the only way you can get weed as prescribed is through the mail. When it went recreational it was legal cross country, so federal mail system and courier services can now ship medical and recreational cannabis. Person to person shipping is allowed and the MOM’s (mail order marijuana) have exploded in popularity as a social trend. And that’s pretty much has been the cause of overall prices decreases; a resilient and adaptable black market and legal over-production).

I think over time most markets would tend towards efficiency and lowered prices. Hope that’s the case in Massachusetts and other states.

Tom
(Qualitywise, there is no question that legal Canadian cannabis is inferior to the best of what the black market has to offer. Price, selection of varieties, quality and actual available stock)

Last edited:
Salutations,

...far from the nastiest thing happening to your weed.

My Google Search happens to contrast from yours as it quickly suggested industrial mass production and ionizing sterilization simply justify each other (...), while "spe¢iali$t"/"expert" wars over the actual evaluation of effects such as oncogenesis could last several decades (because they're talking about long-lasting cumulative processes). Although your favourite sources (like Big Pharma & LPs) may argue there's not enough energy to induce radioactivity despite deep photon penetration others are found to mention radiation-resistant nuisances (for example deinococcus radiodurans in meat), in addition to molecular scission and secondary free oxidizing radicals significantly modifying molecular and bio-mechanical properties, especially in fragile structures.

Moreover it's not just the DNA/RNA of pathogens that gets broken, yet elimination of some viruses, bacterial spores and parasites (besides ordinary bacteria, yeast and mold...) may call for stronger radiation doses anyway. Which sounds bad after reading about hints from animal studies demonstrating that the deleterious effects are severe enough to induce genome instability in human lymphocytes, or at least increased permeability of cellular membranes - which should be a concern in presence of Pest Control Product spray soups. Some people wrote how chemical transformations of unsaturated fats could result in "insoluble plaques", that consumption of Co-60 processed food affects immune response, promoting gross chromosomal aberrations, etc. Twenty years ago expertise from early government-approved "medical" mari-caca producers also included reductions of terpenes (such as myrcene, linalool)...

Briefly put the nastiest thing has already occured and it's characterized by further vilification under as many forms as imaginable. A blatant lack of information & options being one of those precisely.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

All the weed cafe's closed in Vancouver, and all the best weed shops vanished pushing people to either buy garbage weed from legal dispensaries starting at **no prices**, or just quit.

I opted to pretty much quit, it was a habit of convenience for me when it was **no prices** a gram down the street and you could smoke a joint right in the shop. I feel like the whole legalization move has really thrown the whole scene for a loop. Also, the packaging you get with 1 gram is obscene, you get this massive jar that you could fit a quarter into and there's a tiny nug if you just grab a G bag. I bought once, and swore never ever to waste my money on it again....

"Goes to buy heavily taxed alcoholic beverages for volumetric dosing of RC's"

I was unaware of all the other shit going on with the weed scene, I've been out of the loop for a while now it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it depends on your location because, in my experience, medical marijuana is organic. It's very strong as well

On the streets, the best stuff is also from dispensaries; or at least handled by the same group of hands. It tends to be outdoor varieties only and just a bit higher priced. Not by much but enough to notice

The main difference on the street is you can obtain more than 1/4 ounce at a time ;)