• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc really bad trip on chemical degrieser today

For example if the exhaust had ammonia and chlorine. Unlike windex where the nh3 is attached to a h2o forming a less reactive nh4oh or drain cleaner where cl2 is attached to water forming hcl the gas is unbound to water therefore it is able to react on contact severely damaging everything picture rust from industrial exhaust inside

For example if the exhaust had ammonia and chlorine. Unlike windex where the nh3 is attached to a h2o forming a less reactive nh4oh or drain cleaner where cl2 is attached to water forming hcl the gas is unbound to water therefore it is able to react on contact severely damaging everything picture rust from industrial exhaust inside

NH3 in cleaning products is always in aqueous solution with H2O, it's a gas otherwise. Not sure where you're getting ammonia and chlorine from, that would possibly depending on conditions want to form ammonium chloride (a fertilizer, flavoring agent (in trace amounts)).

Drain cleaner is a bunch of H+ and Cl- ions, formed by bubbling HCl (a gas at industrial point of making drain cleaner) through water. Basically the same way ammonia-based cleaner is made bubbling NH3 gas through water. The massive concentration of H+ and their propensity to release the H+ to an neighboring OH- vs floating around freely as H+, as well as the amount of OH- present (which would increase the propensity to do so) is the basis of these compounds as a strong acid, ( is what makes these compounds so caustic/damaging. The more H+ ions, the more acidic the solution will be.

Whoops chemical degreaser never mind i thought you where exposed to a type of industrial fume hood exhaust.

"Degreaser" doesn't tell you anything about what it is actually composed of. However, I'd expect aqueous surfactant solutions (e.g. soap and water) wouldn't cause you to feel poisoned from fume exposure (water tends not to do that).

If it's a petroleum type degreaser like kerosene, "mineral spirits" or Stoddard solvent, (more commonly used in industrial settings, and they stink!) it's no good to be breathing in and you ought to have a N95 respirator on hand to protect yourself.

Was it dichloromethane because that can absorb greese but is very toxic

I went to a doctor, she did some tests in the office like testing if my eyes could follow a light and other basic neurological type exam stuff. Everything back normal but I still feel disoriented and dizzy.

yeah i think this is what wqas in it:

alcohols, c10
-
14, ethoxylated
-
-
-
monoethanolamine
-
-
-
acetic acid, chloro
-
, sodium salt, reaction products
with 4,5
-
dihydro
-
-
undecyl
-
1h
-
imidazole
-
-
ethanol
and sodium hydrox
-
-
-
Sodium Xylenesulfonate
-
-
-
sodium hydroxid

None of those are volatile or terribly toxic.

Here's the full MSDS. You may note the section that says:
If inhaled: Remove to fresh air. Treat symptomatically. Get medical attention if symptoms occur.

Given that the cleaning product seems to be a water-based soap solution - the fancy chemical names are effectively just two sorts of water-based surfactants, monoethanolamine is a pH control agent that might smell a bit like ammonia but won't be toxic at the level present, and the other sodium compounds are also pH buffers - and there's no more than 5% by mass of any toxic compound in the undiluted cleaner, you are probably just being unneccesarily worried.

It doesn't look like this degreaser is actually anything that would be too evil. In fact it's probably biodegradable when it washes into the sewer in high enough dilution. Good thing MSDS sheets exist!

Also fun fact: dichloromethane is the least toxic of the whole series of chloromethanes! Chloroform, chloromethane, and carbon tetrachloride are all more toxic than dichloromethane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrotrope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidazole

just some links I found relevant

ethanol + sodium hydroxide (as stated in the above MSDS) (a buffer solution - meant to normalize/regulate pH- aka the concentration of H+ (free hydrogen ions)) (figure it out yourself but a certain amount of ethanol + sodium hydroxide added to a solution makes it have a less propensity to go up or down in pH (pH = log -[H+])

[*] = the concentration i.e. grams/mol

There is no imidazole in the degreaser; that paste above was atrociously formatted. The compound that it's supposed to be is (by looking up the CAS number) : "Acetic acid, 2-chloro-, sodium salt (1:1), reaction products with 4,5-dihydro-2-undecyl-1H-imidazole-1-ethanol and sodium hydroxide" ... the major compound would be sodium 2-(2-(2-undecyl-4,5-dihydro-1H-imidazol-1-yl)ethoxy)acetate.
821be8610a.png

Either way it shouldn't be volatile. It looks like a surfactant of some sort to me!

Okay =]. Pardon me, sekio, I just saw that as some separate component. Thanks for clearing that up :p Will definitely keep looking into *exactly* what this is. Thats what this site is all about, innit ^.^ haha. Excuse me I am.. erm.. allegedly intoxicated ^.^ haha against the rules... i dont care :p hope I see some more information I could glean some knowledge from

It's alright, the botched PDF paste is really to blame.

The strange imidazole (the structure above) appears to be some sort of surfactant (SURFace ACTive AgeNT) or detergent/soap to my eyes. You've got the polar head group (the carboxylic acid, ether, imidazole part) and then a nonpolar tail (the long alkyl chain). All the ingredients needed to form micelles or thick soapy suds, which act to break up grease and transport it away from the surface being cleaned.