• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

realistic question (regarding knife blade quality)

smokeymcpot42088

Bluelighter
For those of you who have large knife collections such as myself I have a question (joining sword forums was really hard for some reason sorry folk) tell me if the difference between say 440 stainless steel (most 'run of the mill' knives) Vs. say 1045 1065 1095, than they move to T10 and D2. I would certainly never short spend on defense......but realistically as long as off of these items are sharp wouldn't they be just fine to be used for self defense.....unless say the other guy came with a higher quality blade. (which seems so very unlikely to me....) Ok thesis, is the difference in these types of steel worth while and do you really feel that any kind of exotic steel is necessary?

Thanks you guys N gals, came into some money for blades and don't want to waste it and am no (idk anyone famous for blades lol)

*btw It seems as the site progresses I have less idea where to put things, if this needs to somewhere else instead feel free and please accept my apology.

As I said in another thread recently, I did quite a bit of research and review reading and decided on the CRKT M16. Absolutely love this knife that I’ll keep shillin.

It’s tanto blade has got good strength to it, so you don’t snap it off in someone’s skull ;)

Wish I knew more on the steel ratings, but I certainly wouldn’t want to rely on a shitty knife for protection.

I think my biggest concern with a knife is having one that won’t slip out of the hand easily, and won’t accidentally close on my hand while in use.

-GC

I have many CRKT knifes including a warcliff 3" fixed blade with a kydex sheath that mounts horizontally to my belt for EDC "S.P.E.W". (found horizontal to be a quicker pull, especially if grabbing 2 at the same time) I had 2 bokers sent to custom forges after I got them but I lost one at a rest stop and some cop was oh more than happy to help me look for it (it was legal, MI 3" concealed carry (ouch)) for like 2 hours.....because I think he thought I dropped drugs, which is kinda funny considering where I am.....I told him what I was looking for and he gave me the "ill help" in a cop tone. "sure, lookin for a OD green handle on green grass best of luck"....as well as the CRKT Hisshou short kitana (Wikashi I think they call em) and ill stand behind both those brands. I have the Camillus 'raptor' Machete W/bonesaw on the other edge with a gut hook and a small 2 3/4 inch knife with many wrench sizes. Solid AF. All of these I am speaking of are not making the D2 qualifier so I am going to say that is a bit overdone and for collectors or people who may get in actual swordfights?? lmao. it penetrates human it makes the cut for me. BTW in MI the assisted opening knives you can buy all over are being called switchbladed despite there legality, don't buy them. or tell them youll deliver the kingpin and bring them to Walmart lol. (jk jk) just fyi. Relex, nah, no large group of criminals and if they were im rural, there not gunna break my knife with theirs cuz they invested more. (its possible I know, but about as much so as being on a farm and someone wearing a suit that is bulletproof). Im pretty much out of the drug shit to be honest (look when I joined lol) not completely, not judgemental towards ANYONE EVER, just for me, I don't have 8 hours to trip... or do a lot of these longer lasting things. im all about things that make me function at this point haha. The CRKT is nice but fixed blades in a kydex sheath mounted to your belt at either a horizontal or .45 degree angle are SOOO much quicker. I aim to beat someone trying to clear leather in the same room. lol. *edit CRKT Carnivore not raptor, I was kinda going by memory than went and gave it a quick glance.

Last edited:
yea too much at stake for me to rely on anything but a fixed blade out of a fixed sheath, necklace knifes all fall out in the end. Altho your gunna get em into where your goin...but that I don't know the rules on so ill shut up.

this subject is interesting, and i have no wisdom to contribute, but one question... why did you write "realistic" question in the title?

alasdair

I have many CRKT knifes including a warcliff 3" fixed blade with a kydex sheath that mounts horizontally to my belt for EDC "S.P.E.W". (found horizontal to be a quicker pull, especially if grabbing 2 at the same time) I had 2 bokers sent to custom forges after I got them but I lost one at a rest stop and some cop was oh more than happy to help me look for it (it was legal, MI 3" concealed carry (ouch)) for like 2 hours.....because I think he thought I dropped drugs, which is kinda funny considering where I am.....I told him what I was looking for and he gave me the "ill help" in a cop tone. "sure, lookin for a OD green handle on green grass best of luck"....as well as the CRKT Hisshou short kitana (Wikashi I think they call em) and ill stand behind both those brands. I have the Camillus 'raptor' Machete W/bonesaw on the other edge with a gut hook and a small 2 3/4 inch knife with many wrench sizes. Solid AF. All of these I am speaking of are not making the D2 qualifier so I am going to say that is a bit overdone and for collectors or people who may get in actual swordfights?? lmao. it penetrates human it makes the cut for me. BTW in MI the assisted opening knives you can buy all over are being called switchbladed despite there legality, don't buy them. or tell them youll deliver the kingpin and bring them to Walmart lol. (jk jk) just fyi. Relex, nah, no large group of criminals and if they were im rural, there not gunna break my knife with theirs cuz they invested more. (its possible I know, but about as much so as being on a farm and someone wearing a suit that is bulletproof). Im pretty much out of the drug shit to be honest (look when I joined lol) not completely, not judgemental towards ANYONE EVER, just for me, I don't have 8 hours to trip... or do a lot of these longer lasting things. im all about things that make me function at this point haha. The CRKT is nice but fixed blades in a kydex sheath mounted to your belt at either a horizontal or .45 degree angle are SOOO much quicker. I aim to beat someone trying to clear leather in the same room. lol. *edit CRKT Carnivore not raptor, I was kinda going by memory than went and gave it a quick glance.

I have a better idea what your after now, fixed blade is definitely going to be hell of a lot faster on the draw.

I guess my question for you is in all seriousness what are the chances your gonna be swordfighting with your knife?

Even then a knife just isn’t really made to do that, id honestly be surprised if I walked up on a fight where someone was able to block the other persons blade with their own knife.

If you truly think your going to be standing off with someone in a knife fight, where both of you are aware of the situation and face to face. This is what I’d do, often it’s best to tie a sweater or towel around the arm and use that as the shield of sorts. Also have bulky clothing on your mid section if possible. The longer the blade the better. Practice defensive dodging so you can dodge and counter in real life. And learn the vital areas to hit someone.

-GC

I don't know a whole lot about blades, but I everyday carry a pretty dope black Kershaw. Good, affordable knives.

sorry what i meant by realistic is 440 stainless is probably enough as long as you keep a good edge on it and it fits the parameters you want. The odds you are going to pull your 440 knife (example of regular steel) and it would have no problem 'gettin the job done' so why are we buying such fancy carbons and steels for knives and swords meant for actual use?

G chem, i have been attacked with pocket knives on 4 occasions. i live so far in hickville ive had people try and stab me for being mormon while wearing celtic cross. Because I had a sharkskin suit on and you know, apparently mormons have a monopoly on over flashy suits lol.

yea these were like 15 yr old kids ... my generation seems to have a little more respect when it comes to that type of thing *im 30 somein earlies. but yea 15 yr olds kill ppl so yea gotta stay qick with the draw and have a bandana to wrap arms in. messed up part is I cut down to my bone with a gladius practicing (shoulda bought the practice one) and now im worse than ever but still confident with 15 yr olds comitting mormon hate crimes.

ps i followed the 'leader' back to his house knocked on his door and had a long talk with his mom about freedom of religion and how her boy and friends were trying to STAB ME for being mormon; of course informing her legal recourse is the last thing I want. Just a good ol fashion talk.

Last edited:
more interestingly, what does everyone think the fastest knife setup would be. I have to say horizontal kydex sheath fixed blade. in story books i have had that under ppls chins while they fiddled with there gun strap. What is everybodies preference. Personally a boker sent to guinea forge 3'' (MI Limit) and a 3 inch boker in a kydex sheath. However this does show under the tight suits I usually wear...the walther backup looked interesting, i lend myself to circular handles.