• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Read an Article that Quercetin having similar effects as Caffeine?

Drag2019

Bluelighter
I made a post in the Other Drugs Section and haven't received any replies so I'm hoping this is the correct place to ask this specific question.

I was reading an article that states about Quercetin: "It's also said to be neuroactive, possessing the same abilities as caffeine, albeit less potent."

I'm assuming that this doesn't mean it's a Stimulant but I have read that it's a CYP1A2 Inhibitor. That is not responsible for the significantly increased effects of Caffeine when combined together.

Does this mean that it can have stimulating properties which might contribute to insomnia or something I'm not sure since I have read that i can actually help with relieving anxiety so I'm hoping someone here can explain exactly what this does in terms of being a possible CNS Stimulant when entirely being used alone?

Thank you for anyone that's taken the time to read this. BTW this is the Post I made in other drugs: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...-it-inhibit-cyp3a4-and-effect-opioids.884824/

Wiki has this to say:
The bioavailability of quercetin in humans is low and highly variable (0–50% ), and it is rapidly cleared with an elimination half-life of 1–2 hours after ingesting quercetin foods or supplements. Following dietary ingestion, quercetin undergoes rapid and extensive metabolism that makes the biological effects presumed from in vitro studies unlikely to apply in vivo.

In general, flavonoids and chalcones are very poor drugs. Given that the average person already intakes quercetin in their diet (it's present in all sorts of vegetables) I don't think it has much of a druglike effect at all beyond placebo.

I also don't see any studies indicating that it would have an effect similar to that of caffeine at all, i don't see this acting at adenosine receptors or PDE enzymes. Curiously enough it's an agonist of the estrogen receptors, so maybe it'll make you grow ovaries overnight. (joking!)

There was some interesting xanthine analogs posted here years ago

I posted one that included DMPX, but someone else linked a whole txt file on different xanthines; wish they were attested to in literature so I could host them in a wiki list.

Last edited:
From the research I've done apparently Quercetin increases the effects of Caffeine and not by its Inhibition through CYP1A2 it's unknown how it does increase the effects of Caffeine... Quercetin seems to be increasing the effects of Caffeine somehow all on its own although nobody knows 100% for sure.

I read about it producing Estrogen too but didn't find anything about how much of an increase in Estrogen levels it can and will produce?... and wouldn't that lead to lower testosterone levels? I also read in Wiki Article it says "For example, quercetin is a non-specific protein kinase enzyme inhibitor " and then this Article and others I can't find in my search history speaks of it affecting protein function and "Preliminary evidence suggested that a quercetin byproduct can result in a loss of protein function "

Does this mean that it will hinder my exercise routine with less Protein being able to be used by my body for muscle maintenance etc.? I've recently started exercising again and I'm just wondering if this will possibly make things more difficult.

I read about Quercetin possibly having a stimulating effect on anyone with an impaired Blood-Brain Barrier in a Post someone replied to a person who says they seem to have an impaired BBB with things like B Vitamins and GABA which Doctors apparently like to use that Supplement as a way to find out if a patient has an impaired blood-brain barrier.

Oh... BTW I read that Quercetin Supplements has a half-life of 72 Hours and unlike food the absorption it's different with the half-life being different I think that is I could be wrong. Quercetin absorption is increased when combined with Bromelain with each type of Quercetin Dihydrate etc. absorb more or less with different ones. Bromelain also has good effects on Anti-Inflammatory Effect and is typically good for people with COPD and other lung problems among countless health benefits. Quercetin contained in Food is absorbed in the range of 50% -15% or +15% which the amount of Quercetin that is in food is low compared to the amount in supplements which is recommended to not be used for more than 12 weeks which I'm worried it's due to the estrogen increase and more importantly "decreased protein function" or w/e which idk what that even means?

We know very little about the negative Side-Effects Quercetin Supplements especially use that is longer than 12 Weeks Daily Dosing. Higher than 1000MG Quercetin Daily can damage the Kidneys I read. I'm worried about how much stress it might be putting onto the Kidneys with Daily use for 12 Weeks alongside anything else that might stress the kidneys too which could be to much to handle compared to either used alone.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read all this and hopefully has helpful answers assuming there even is an answer?

Last edited:
I'm assuming there is not much knowledge and nobody even has an educated guess to some of the worried answers I have like Quercetin negatively affecting "protein function" etc. as I'm trying this out to treat my COPD. I just wish I had more info. and didn't need to worry this...

Quercertin being a protien kinase inhibitor just means it binds to and reduces the activity of some enzymes, it doesn't have any bearing on dietary protien uptake.

It's important to realize that most oral quercertin does not even make it to the blood; most of it is metabolized and inactivated in the gut. Even less still will make it to the brain, so it's safe to say that quercertin has very little effect unless taken in humongous megadoses.

Yes, that's what I figured but I always make sure to not assume things and verify them. Just out of curiosity what does reduced activity in some of the enzymes mean exactly sorry if that's a silly question.

Most oral quercetin not making it to the blood is an overestimate. Essentially zero oral quercetin enters the bloodstream intact. This is not surprising because quercetin is hydrolysed in the stomach. Quercetin glycosides are successfully absorbed but are not metabolized to the aglycone. As such, there is no oral dosing formulation that results in a positive serum quercetin concentration.

Parenteral quercetin may be active. However, the elimination half-life is about 40 minutes, and for some individuals may be as low as 10 minutes:

I read it takes about 3 weeks for Quercetin levels in the blood or some to reach 5-fold higher levels or some? I'm sorry I'm not exactly knowledgable enough to understand what your saying in your Post exactly can you "dumb it down" to help Me understand what you're saying exactly. I've read a lot of various different statements of the half-life. It might be different like active duration half-life vs. elimination, not with Quercetin just example about how other substances.

I'm not exactly knowledgable enough to understand what your saying in your Post exactly can you "dumb it down" to help Me understand what you're saying exactly.

Quercertin is not absorbed into the blood.

I don't know the best sub-forum to post this is? Little research on Quercetin exists. I'm thinking other drugs has the most traffic seems to be the best place to post this, maybe basic drugs or possibly health and recovery? I figured I'd post it in this thread first.

I've been using Quercetin for more than 12 weeks now. From personal experience and reading anecdotes from other experiences of people using it. It does indeed cause slow wound healing and slower recovery from exercise due to it interfering (affecting someway) protein function. I recently got a burn and accidentally popped the blister. A scab formed it's now gone and under it is a wound deep into the skin that hasn't healed after weeks. After this amount of time that has passed it should have healed by now. At worse, I should have a scar after this amount of time.

The problem is your supposed to stop using it after 12 weeks of daily use and take a break in between using it. I got no idea what the minimum amount of time I would need to wait without using it, after 12 weeks of daily use would need to be? Do you think I should use it for 12 Weeks or less and then wait a minimum of 12 weeks or longer without using it?

Burns can rake a frustrating amount of rime to heal. I was severely burned on my lower legs in a house fire (April 1st, 2017) and I STILL have a 2cmx3cm area that is has not fully healed where a 10cm x 8cm burn was, at the lower part of my shin (so, poor circulation) Severe second degree burns can also take months to heal. Patience. (And I'm told that it is better to use a "wet dressing", e.g. some sort of barrier to keep the wound moist, like a parrafin based antibiotic ointment with a gauze pad and gauze wrap bandage, because it will heal more rapidly than a "dry" scab will take. I don't know what I prefer....)

I have a hard time believing that oral quercertin has any measurable effect on healing time. If it can't even make it out of your gut it certainly is not going to be able to produce any activity at the side of your injury.

I was simply looking for an educated guess on how long to wait before using the Quercetin again. It says to use it for 12 weeks and take a break or cycle it? Does cycle it mean to use it for 12 weeks and stop using it for 12 weeks? I'd just want to be on the safe side when it comes to things like extra stress on the kidneys when using it... just like anything else that one consumes which the kidneys have to eliminate from the body.

Secondary curiosity not an important question: It says it takes about 8 Weeks or 2 Months for full benefits. That's when it certainly felt like that's when it started to really help with my symptoms. Why is that, I know it doesn't build in the blood but does it build in the body somewhere, or is it just the anti-inflammatory effects that take time to build up in the benefit or is it something else that's the reason why it takes so long to fully start helping a lot. Does nobody really know why yet due to the lack of research available currently?