• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Reactions when starting new medications

Zero_faawks

Greenlighter
So I am not sure if this is the right area for this or not I actually just found this forum today and haven’t had much luck with my specific inquiry.

A bit long I apologize please bear with me lol.

All medications are generic versions I just hate typing out the chemical names.

6 months ago I was having suicidal thoughts on a near daily basis and in desperation I shared this with my work and I was placed on medical leave to give me time to rest and to start managing my with therapist and psychiatrist. I was diagnosed with ADHD and Major Depressive disorder. I was given some options on what to start out with in terms of anti-depressants. I chose to start out with Prozac based on the longer half-life Incase if forgot to take a dose or anything (my work can be very involved and sometimes I can get caught up in it and forget to eat let alone take my pills) anyway starting out everything was going great I noticed some mild side effects but they went away after a few weeks. I was started at 20mg and slowly moved up to 40mg which is where I have remained. When starting I had noticed mild sexual side effects which I know are common but over time those increased to super low libido and an inability to maintain or complete. (Probably a separate thread post)

During this time we started Ritalin which had little to no effect on my ADHD even at up to 30mg and I also did not notice any drug interaction issues. I was then moved to Adderall 10mg which is when I noticed the first issue. I was feeling more alert and focused and I wasn’t feeling exhausted after any length of sleep. To which I think OMG this is amazing why hasn’t my life always been like this. Then after the first few days I experienced an episode that internet research suggested as serotonin syndrome (I understand that with it being internet research I could be totally wrong about that). To which I basically felt like I was dying I was sick and sweating uncontrollably and my boyfriend mentioned uncontrolled tourette’s like ticks in my sleep. At this point only having been on a few days I stopped until I was able to reach out to my doctor. During this time my boyfriend also became sick so I thought hey maybe it was just a traditional sickness bug and no big deal. With my doctors recommendation I began the Adderall again did not experience and issue again until I brought up the sexual side effects and Wellbutrin XR was added to my prozac and Adderall. At this point I again experienced an episode of minor side effects amplified like crazy. Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sweating, chills, and a short 2 min episode of uncontrolled motion (think like a shimmy shoulder shake dance move but unstoppable) after intense panic I was able to get to sleep and woke up feeling drained and hollow but better. Again I took a small break from the newly added medication (2 days) and decided to try again. Since then I have not had any issues other than becoming easily sweaty during simple tasks and uncontrolled sweating while sleeping which is intermittent (4-5 times a week) and super annoying because it makes sleeping difficult.

So mostly I am wondering if this intense reaction at onset of adding medication is normal especially since after a small break I can start again without issue or if it is something I should be worried about.

Because of this I am trying to decide if I should try switching to another SSRI (even though I have responded well to the Prozac minus the sexual side effects) to combat the sexual side effects or if I should continue this route of adding medications to combat certain side effects of other medications.

I am only 6 months into taking any medications at all so some insight from people who may have been one this journey longer would be super helpful.

It sounds like your really sensitive to stimulants. Have you talked to your doc about dialing back the dose?

Hey Zero!

Welcome to BL. Wow, those are horrible symptoms to experience. Sorry u had to go through that. You are obviously intelligent with a good head on your shoulders. With some trial and error, you will get there.

I know it sucks. But it's worth it. When you find the right meds, it's life-changing.

I didn't react well to Wellbutrin. Within 15 minutes of taking it, I felt really strange. Like, I was suddenly looking at myself from a distance. Then had an anxiety attack for hours. I had to fight the urges to chew on my lip, etc. Similar to meth tics.

I'm prone to anxiety and panic attacks. When I asked a therapist to prescribe it, she told me it probably wasn't a good idea, due to previous mentioned issues.

But, I wanted to try it. It seemed to really help others I had seen on it. We're all different.

Try not to get discouraged. I hope you come back to update us.