Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Rage.

BloSs0m

Bluelighter
Okay, this isn't a thread about how angry you can get or whatever.
I'm talking rage as in shown on ABC late late a night/early in the morning.

I thought i'd start it because sam and i were talking last night,
about our first rage memories.

I remember i used to sneak out of bed at like,
5 or 6 am and just watch it with the sound really low.

Anyway, my first memory is that "uh oh we're in trouble somethings come along and they've burst our bubbles yeah yeah" song by Shampoo.
Sam's was "Diamonds and pearls" by Prince.

I mean, why is it that we can both remember these seemingly insignificant moments so vividly.
Neither of us even had to think,
we just knew straight away what our first rage memory is.

And this got us thinking,
Rage has been such a big part
of so many people's lives as they were growing up,
it's potentially been an influence on so many young australians,
and it still continues to do so.

So, what's your first rage memory?

Do you think that Rage is still an important part of young people's lives,
or do you think that it's simply turned into/has always been
just another one of the video hitses and all those other annoying music video shows on over the weekend?

If given the chance/choice,
which of those programs would you rather watch and why?

What do you think about the choice of music shown on these programs?

I myself, i reckon that rage better
(as long as you watch before 6am,
when all the overly homogenised and pasturised r'n'b comes on)
simply becase it showcases a whole heap of different videos,
all of which have musical and/or visually artistic merits -
and which you wouldn't see played on any of the other similar programs.

Oh and mods, please don't move this to Music and DJ's 'cause it's about the influence a program has had on young australians.
:)

I agree that rage influences young australians (well young australians who are interested and therefore influenced by music), possibly less though now than when my generation (or older) were growing up.

I think before pay tv become popular/accessible in Australia, it was really the only way for a lot of young people to be exposed in an audio AND visual sense to a broad array of music, and alternative music in particular.

I think I remember seeing Silverchair - Tomorrow on Rage :)

I think the hours it is on also have a lot to do with it, it made it seem like a bit of a forbidden fruit in a sense, as you knew you were probably supposed to be asleep when watching it.

For me it conjures up a lot of memories of sleepovers (when younger) and when I was older, coming back to friends' houses after being at a party or a dance and having rage on in the background while we'd all debrief etc etc.

Rage is the best as it has no ads, but these days I like my sleep so am rarely up for any of those shows. Also - as you said, after a certain point it seems to be only bad bad bad rnb and hiphop shown....which I refuse to sit through.

Mostly, Rage to me is those early weekend mornings when you've been up all night, or barely had 2 hours sleep, and manage (delicately) to reposition yourself on the couch and stare numbly at the TV, thanking god that something better than late-night infomercials is on.

I can't say Rage had much of a defining influence on me as a teenager or anything, I was far too much of a good girl, getting up to go to tennis, or sleeping in and reading my book.

But I must say I've been highly impressed with some of the recent theme show Rage's which have featured 80's filmclips such as Cindi Lauper's "Time after Time", Duran Duran and other seriously bad, cringe-worthy, yet comfortingly familiar flash backs. Addictive viewing :)

Aptly titled Rage captured the beginnings of Kovenant and their subsequent rise to acting as the Light Bringer's right hand.

Oh wow what a great thread idea!!! :)

I can remember being 6/7 years old and I would always wake up really early and watch it and I would think how bizzare the songs were,then I would I watch the top 100 count down.

as i got older the challenge would be to see if I could stay up all night and watch it!
I don't think to watch it anymore but after this thread I think I might give it a go next weekend!

Rage = =D

Ah rage !

yes i remember watching rage, or more so being woken up ny my sisters to watch rage:|

rage only appeals to me as some entertainment on TV to put on with the Volume turend right down ! with the music of your choice playing in the background !

this creates a talking point on relating the current song playing on your CD player to the Film clip playing on TV...

Rage is also really good to watch on Mushrooms ! it makes you think that some of the film clips were thought up, whilst on mushrooms !

So basicly RAGE only comes on during the Come down !

The thing i remember most about rage was the intro: All the faces morphing/stretching and "rage, rraa raa rage raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage"

I was more of a late nighter when i was young. Mum and dad worked nights and i had a TV in my room, so i would stay up till all hours watching 21 Jump Street, Warewolf and The Twighlight Zone.

I remember first watching rage at a friends house and getting hooked. It was like an institution when i was younger and we would have sleep overs every weekend and sit up all night and all morning watching rage and dancing around.

Its still a favourite because of the lack of ads. I used to like Video Hits too but I cant stand it now because of the constant ads, competitions and sms ringtone things. Although I am partial to Video Hits up late for the naughty clips ;)

In high school I used to tape my favourite clips if I was at home. I remember feeling like I'd hit the jackpot when they played four Unwritten Law songs in a row one night.

For some weird reason, the clip I remember most strongly was by a band called The Hippos called Wasting my Life. At least I think that's what it was, it was set in a science classroom and there was something about amoebas thrown in there.

I love Rage. It's an institution.

Last edited:
Ahhh Rage, my teenage obsession... :)

Somewhere stacked away in a box are about 20 lovingly made videotapes I spent my teenage years making which features all my favourite songs from Rage. Rage introduced me to Nick Cave and Bjork and Yoko Ono and Shonen Knife and all the other stuff that was an awesome departure from Top 40 back when I didn't have any other exposure to stuff that wasn't Top 40...

I think Rage will always be an important memory for anybody who really likes music.. :)

Oh my god! I thought i was the only one who really loves rage. Music television would be nothing but crap without it.

I used to love (and still do occasionally) putting rage on after a piss up or smoke session and falling asleep. I would wake up in the morning with all these songs in my head. I love it.

My suggestions to the producers would be to ditch the Top 40 in the mornings. There's nothing worst than to get home late morning still all fuck eyed and you have to sit through Rage Top 40, Video Hits top 40, car racing or golf. Also wouldn't it be better to show the track and artist title at the end of clips too?

My best Rage film clip memories are
Your Ghost - Kirsten Hirst and Micheal Stipe,
Fade into you - Mazzy Star,
Pearl Jam feature nights,
and tripping out on Chemical Brothers clips.

Somewhere stacked away in a box are about 20 lovingly made videotapes I spent my teenage years making which features all my favourite songs from Rage.
Me too! Except now all of mine are in analog heaven!

Rage is great. Watching it this morning I thought, 'Rage has been around so long that I can't even remember a time when it wasn't on!'
Yay Rage =D

I used to get up and watch rage when I was a little tacker all the time. I remember the Great Song of Indifference by Bob Geldoff (sp?)

It's kinda just annoying and shit these days cos it's just got Nelly singing about his teeth jewllery and 50c singing about how tough he is and Snoop Dogg singing about how hard done by all the dudes in jail are... really it's getting quite ridiculous, it's kinda refreshing when Madonna comes on now.

10yrs from now I can see this whole Hip Hop, Rap, RnB shit being like another 80's thing where everyone looks back and goes WTF were we doing with all that shit...?? 8o

I used to stay up as late as possible to try and tape some off my fave bands at the time. Unfortunately, I was mostly into obscure 1980s US punk bands (The cramps, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks etc) so i was always left dissapointed.

I used to buy a 1.25litre bottle of coke and mix spoonfuls of nescafe into it so i would stay awake. yes... it tasted disgusting

eggman88888 said:
I used to buy a 1.25litre bottle of coke and mix spoonfuls of nescafe into it so i would stay awake. yes... it tasted disgusting
Hehehehe!

When I think of Rage as a youngen, I get clips from James Blunndell and James Reyne singing 'way out west'.

Please make it stop. :(

^LMAO I had completely forgotten about that song. livin' and a-workin' on the land. I really need to find my Smash Hits tapes.

Video Hits is so shite. Although I've always had a thing for Axl.

Bring back Recovery, I say.

i think its funny it still has the same theme song after so long...

Rage, rage,ra,ra,rage... RAGE...

lol

Yes UAN Recovery rocked!

I was on a segment once, I still have the tape around somewhere.