• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

RADIO: Triple J - Hack: Illicit Drug Advertising Campaign

Once again the govt. is trying to scare the shit out of little kiddies. Fantastic way of curbing drug use. The ad which i find the most stupid in the one where the person walks out in front of the car after having cannabis. And the kid fumbles the footy. Ha. I juts love it how everyone loves to blame incidents on drugs. I've seen many people hit by cars outside clubs when they're pissed of their nut. i view alcohol as far more dangerous than MDMA in every respect.

I was Talking to a friend after a game of footy about consumption of weed and how it effects playing footy. We both agreed that training or playing while under the influence of weed was stupid and counter productive. However we also both noted that since we had begun smoking our fitness levels, co-ordination and general awareness had improved and we both believed that we had become much better athletes.

Sure most of the situations on these ads can happen, but i would like to see how much more it happens on legal drugs rather than illicit ones.

"The cost of drug abuse in Aus is estimated to be $14.3 billion, of which $12.8 bil is attributed to tobacco and alcohol" Statistics on Drug Abuse in Australia, Commonwealth Department of health , housing and community services.

Those stats tell a story thats for sure. They are however a little outdated and i wonder if anyone could elaborate to me the current statistics.

fuck in heaven

Cowboy Mac said:
I agree that they don't do much, but from a goverment perspective if they had to run ads, these are quite good because they show (generally) realistic side-effects. It I was in charge of the purse it would be a lot different, a HR approach, but that isn't going to happen in a hurry. The government could have done a lot worse with these ads.

Possible side effects that are relatively extremely rare. Why don't they bring out a campaign on the dangers of dying within your own home? More likely to die from that than MDMA ;)

On a lighter note, I just love the guy's girly voice - "I don't know... I think it was ecstasy!"

Why don't they bring out a campaign on the dangers of dying within your own home?
OT: They did. Remember the guy who tried to do some electrical works in his roof, and then his wife hears a thudding sound and calls out to him? "Frank? Fraaank? FRRAAAAAAAANNNNKKKK!!!!" ;)

On topic: As ayjay said, part of this is to make the government look like they're doing something about the issue, regardless of it's effectivness. There's more votes in being "tough on drugs" than there are in having a sensible harm minimisation aproach. On a certain level these new ads will do something, but it'll be a while before we get a massive switch in their thinking.

You can see the ecstasy, marijuana and amphetamine ads by following the links.
brendanwor said:
Possible side effects that are relatively extremely rare. Why don't they bring out a campaign on the dangers of dying within your own home? More likely to die from that than MDMA ;)
I agree the 'ecstasy' one isn't as good as the other two, and falling over in a club is more likely to happen on GHB/1,4b than any pill and the bruxia and the dentist scene is also playing on peoples fear that they will have problems with their teeth if they use MDMA. In my mind they could have been a lot worse., and perhaps that's why I think they are pretty well done. I mean they could have shown people dying left, right and centre.

Last edited:
The marijuana one made me giggle when they had the "you don't know what it'll do to you" thing at the end.

I'm with CBM on this one with the fact they could have been MUCH worse. But after hearing "you don't know what it'll do to you" at the end of all of the ad's it just made me think that those who don't know much about it will go out and find RESPECTABLE information on such things, realise that with resposible use you won't get such extreme negative effects, leading to an effect that is opposite to the desired effect the government was seeking

hack discussion

The most pathetic part of the interview was the boys club cronie pyne trying to convince himself that the deaths through alcohol and tobacco are all good just because its "legal",in the process making himself look like the biggest imbocile on earth and just a thought,how the f... do cretins like this get in power?Yeah its all cool as long as the pollies have got there fingers in the pie...

i saw the marijuana one the other day and after the slogan 'you don't know what it'll do to you' came up on the screen i laughed out loud thinking to myself "yeah i do, you just told me" ;) LOL

Governements are notorious known for making alarmist proganada to scare the population into obeying laws.

Don't you guys remember the the AID ads of the 80s - who didn't want to go bowling after watching that. Probably did more for the bowling industry then anything else, hell it was just after that bowling become popular in itself.

I suspect with these drug ads we're going to see not only an increase of drugs use but an increase in kids taking drugs in dank alley ways (whilst its raining). Look out melbourne thousands of kids are going to be OD'ing in the rain during the night...

'cept it doesn't even rain here much anymore. i can bet you they had to bring in rain machines for that shoot. damn global warming, destroying all our cliches!

Its all a bit of silly alarmist propaganda. Go check out www.erowid.org and www.maps.org if you want some REAL information on inebriants.

:)

I think the message we should send out to people is
"Respect life", not "Be afraid of life". Everyone has to learn their own limits, its just our nature. The problem with our society, is that we have no institution of infrastructure for a lot of these things, such as drunk driving, drug taking etc... Its all done in a context that doesn't provide any safety measures if things go wrong.

Out...

That was a very interesting interview.

I think it's really depressing that the government is more willing to take the side of the real killers (tabacco and alcohol), simply because of it's legality.

As opposed to the illegal drugs((mdma, amphetamines, marijuana), which were i think 2% of the overall deaths?, it's not brain surgery to conclude which drugs need to be targeted.

I especially found it amusing when Dr. David Caldicott basically said the figures produced by Christopher Pyne were questionable.

Anti Drug Ads

Has anyone noticed the amount of anti drug ads on tv lately ??? i guess from all the shit happening in bali at the moment,but i noticed they have different ads i.e. one just for Ecstasy and one for Speed both showing people at night clubs having seizures and shit with the end saying You dont know what it'll do to you... Hahahahahah well i know what it does to me :-D

i never saw ads About Heroin when we had that epidemic in Cabramatta a couple years back..so Speed,Ectasy is more dangerous than heroin ?? LOL
typical government bullshit if you asked me....

Any thoughts anyone ??

K!NGP!N

i saw them, they should say something like, test ya pills. or something simple like that

Re: Anti Drug Ads

mrK!NGP!N said:
Has anyone noticed the amount of anti drug ads on tv lately ??? i guess from all the shit happening in bali at the moment,but i noticed they have different ads i.e. one just for Ecstasy and one for Speed both showing people at night clubs having seizures and shit with the end saying You dont know what it'll do to you... Hahahahahah well i know what it does to me :-D
K!NGP!N

I wouldn't say that Bali is the catalyst. Obviously the Australian government has been against party drugs since their original rise. Previous campaigns have been released - it's nothing new - and to what result? Australia's currently leading the world in ecstasy use, as you probably have read.

Cowboy Mac said:
the dentist scene is also playing on peoples fear that they will have problems with their teeth if they use MDMA.

Thats one bit of the ad I can agree with. My teeth are rooted now. They werent too good before, but now I'm up for about $5gs of work, from grinding and clenching.

Has it all been worth it?
Every fucking cent.

Has anyone noticed the amount of anti drug ads on tv lately ??? i guess from all the shit happening in bali at the moment

nah just the government trying to distract people from all the broken election promises.

Seriously they have lied about practically everything they went to the election on yet the media just lies there prostrate....

So to show people how strong and noble they go hard on the drugs (pun not intended), alarming people and distracting them with an issue they can pummel without fear of anyone (of note) raising any criticism against them. Of course anyone that does they simply label them hippies and "the chardonnay / cafe latte set" thus apparently lowering them to a level of a whinging who's criticism is not valid.

The same for this IVF(I guess for good measure they really wanted us to forget the broken promises), with cutting it off....cause a little controversy and show how the party room is allowed give a little lip to show Howard isn't always the head pimp (when really he is and its all a big show).....