Study Quorn Mycoprotein Superior to Milk Protein for Muscle Growth

CFC

Bluelight Crew
At least, that's what some researchers are claiming in a paper that's due to be published soon.

A study has found that mycoprotein, the protein-rich food source that is unique to Quorn products, stimulates post-exercise muscle building to a greater extent than milk protein.

The results showed that while those who ingested milk protein increased their muscle growth rates by up to 60%, those who had mycoprotein increased their muscle growth rates (MGRs) by more than 120% -- showing that mycoprotein, the main ingredient in all Quorn products, is a more effective source of protein to promote muscle growth.

Here's a link to the research:

Of note, ergo-log, in their write-up, include the following note: "Wall and his colleagues have been working closely with Quorn's producer for years, who by the way sponsors their research." Which is not to say the findings are false, but it's worth bearing in mind who's paying for the findings.

Here's a link to their assessment:

Very interesting! Would "whey protein" be an example of milk protein? I have no idea what that's made from LOL. I am DEFINITELY interested in trying that out! I eat about 4 meals a day and protein shakes in between them for extra protein. If I could switch to that, that would be even better!

Any recommendations?

So milk protein contains both whey and casein in their natural ratios and is where those two types are derived from.

Nobody has actually seen the details of the study yet because it hasn't been published, and I have to say I'm dubious about how they arrived at it being more than twice as effective as milk protein for 'MGR' (also, the typically used metric is muscle protein synthesis, so I'd also like to know how they calculate MGR).

It's mostly interesting in the sense that it provides what looks like another viable option for those who want to cut back on meat consumption (to save the environment etc) or who want to pursue a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.

Very cool indeed. We use the Quorn mince to make chili. Just fry gently until crispy, add pinto beans, fresh onions, crushed tomato, some chilis and whip out the tortillas. Great product!

Very interesting. Is this product available in any US brands or products? I’ve never heard of it. My girlfriends a vegan lol so at the minimum I should get her on this stuff thanks for the share