• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Quitting phenibut cold turkey

Jaja789

Greenlighter
Hi, first time posting here. My name is Roman, and english is not my first language so pardon if i made some errors. I wanted to share my toughts and experience of phenibut and its withdrawal. I used phenibut for a month and a half every second day, with doses mostly around 2g and some times 4g.. The thing is i never knew of the terrible withdrawals you end up with when abusing this substance. I read one should use it max 2 times weekly. But i imagined thats because it will build tolerance but i never knew of the hardcore wd-symptoms you will end up.. well i was terribly wrong.I have to add that i bought phenibut for helping my social anxiety,and ended up using it recreationally and each time abusing alcohol as well because it was like this magic drug for me.

The last day i used it was last sunday(2.4.2016), took app.4g and heavy drinking all day long. Monday i had a bad alcohol hangover and felt incredibly empty so i said to myself to quit it for a week to lower tolerance, but it didnt cross my mind that quitting phenibut will have a withdrawal, so uninformed i was about this drug. The night i slept very badly, but slept. Tuesday the hell began.

Panic, depression, extreme anhedonia,skin itching so i soon realized this must be from the phenibut-wd. I read the stories on the internet about phenibut-wd and you can imagine the terror i felt. I checked for how long this hell will last, ok around 6-7 days. So i read about what substances can helpyou out for surviving this period. I read about tapering, but decided about going cold turkey (probably a bad idea)

Tuesday to thursday were probably the worst days of my life, i was in hell. I was very fortunate to have kava at my hands, it helped. I also used tablets of 90% honokiol at nights, it is a little known natural supplement that is comparable to valium. I had xanax avaiable but stupidly didnt use it.

Well these 3 days i didnt sleep much,had terrible feelings, that traumatized my nervous system alot.. My mind told me "you will die", i started to feel psychotic,with feelings of unreality. But the worst thing is the anxiety of not knowing how much it will last, and maybe its not even anxiety its more like constant panic.

Horrible.

Friday was better, even managed to play a soccer game. Saturday much better, but still feeling a little psychotic. Sunday almost all symptoms subsided. monday i slept 11 hours straight.

My worry is if i will suffer from ptsd because i didnt medicate with xanax at least the 3 worst days,because they truly took a heavy hit on my mind. Stupid me for not taking the xanax, because the wd truly were unbearable and in retrospect i have no idea why i didnt use the xanax.

Well phenibut withdrawal sucks, really really sucks. And it takes alot of strenght to go cold turkey, whichi think is a bad idea and is very traumatizing, if you dont help you out with xanax, baclofen or other medications.

Some toughts, will my mind and nervous system be fine and recover from this intense, hardcore 3 days of hell? Is there a chanche of long term damage from this 3 day hell? In your opinion, have i been very stupid and was it dangerous to go cold turkey?

Thanks for the answers

Last edited:
Yes, you will most definitely recover for the most part. You will always have that memory of the experience though, but it shouldnt cause any problems. Sadly, GABAergics tend to be some of the worst drugs to come off of, not only because they can cause seizures if stopped too abruptly, but also because regulating the GABA receptors takes longer than most other receptors. The worst of your withdrawal should be over, so i wouldnt worry too much, but i would advise flushing any other GABAergics you have (except maybe one xanax for emergencies) so that you dont end up back down that rabbithole

Just find a way to get through the next few days and your brain should "reset." Sleepytime Tea is good at night if you need some sleep.

It's probably just so very bad because you drank on top of it so often. So you're dealing with withdrawal from both of them at once.

I did 2-6grams of phenibut every single day for over 1 year. I never drank during that time. Then for about 1month I cut my use down to 1.5-2.5grams a day until I went on an airplane trip to cali and had to go cold turkey completely.

I was anxious in general, but not enough so, so I would still socialize and go in public fine. One thing was I was sweating constantly a small amount. I could still sleep fine at night, actually, a good 8+ hours, only took like 30mins to get to bed too. I still exercised a lot. Mostly it was just some anxiety with non-stop sweating, and some panic & doom attacks but not often. For about a week.

I'd say you should really just taper(if you can handle it), and DO NOT DRINK ON TOP OF IT AT ALL.

I didn't have any seizures either.

Maybe I just don't think it was that bad because of my brain chemistry. This phenibut HCL is 99.7% pure(comes with a Certificate of analysis) And I've tested many brands, this is the best. Or maybe because I've gone through cold turkey heroin withdrawals many times in jail. As well as valium+subs+meth+phenibut for 6months straight cold turkey withdrawal on the outside.