• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting, need some help

mikeorr4444

Greenlighter
Hello all,

My on and off recreational use of opiates over the past 8-10 years has recently developed into a flat out habit. It's not as crazy as some other people I know or have read about, but I'm honestly at a point where I feel it getting out of control and I'm a bit scared. I'm married, 3 kids and no one knows. I usually take a single dose daily now of either 50mg of norco or 40mg of Percocet. I have been using daily now for almost 10 months. I feel the withdrawals creep in when I run out for a day or two so I get more. I went 10 days one time and got thru it pretty good with just loperamide but that was when I was only at like a 20-30mg a day habit about 6 months ago. I really don't know how this is going to play out. I have about 10 days of Percocet left and I am done. I'm not buying anymore, I'm flushing money down the toilet. I'm basically looking for guidance. At my current usage, will withdrawal be an absolute nightmare? I have kind of a plan. I plan on using loperamide, b12 and vitamin d when I quit. I also have about 20 ambien, 25 flexeril and about 25 trazadone (I'm not sure how helpful those drugs will be in combatting withdrawal symptoms, but that's what I have). I have been considering opening up to my doctor about this and asking for her help. My hope is that she'd give me some benzos to help..... I am scared. I feel like I'm not in control. I want my life back before I screw it up too bad. =[

Thanks in advance for any advice or input...

Last edited:
In my views, the fact that you can access a substance and use it to change your brain chemistry, is a great proof of control by itself, because you are controlling a part of your brain that other humans around you are not in control of. Of course, when you control too many things you run into problems. Like emperors and big leaders, with great control comes great problems, their actions have consequences, but suffering these consequences is not a proof of absence of control, it is actually a proof of control. You're actually trying to mitigate the downside of being in control! So you're like, trying to control, being in control. Think about it, people who never tried opioids because they were too scared to try, how much control do they have? It is actually their fear controlling them. They say they have values but they have nothing, and fear is the only value they abide by.

To answer your question regarding withdrawal, shouldn't be too harsh but counting on vitamins to go through it is lying to yourself a bit. I recommend a taper with the remaining opioids you have.

opiates are wonderful but also can be an evil demon to shake. fortunately, your habit isnt too too terribly bad. i was doing about 150-200 mg of norco or roxy at one point in my life and withdrawals were god awful. and have that secret from your family will eat you alive. my addiction was always a huge secret and huge weight that i carried around on my back- and still do to this day. withdrawals from the mg i was taking they were bad enough to make me give in and go to a suboxone clinic. withdrawals for me start right at 48 hours of not having anything. The best thing i can tell you is to TAPER TAPER TAPER. Dont get the " fuck it" attitude and eat all of the 10 you have left at once.ive done that many a time too. the hardest part about withdrawals besides staying on the toilet and the cravings is the depression and emotional rollercoaster that happens when your body is needing that substance. TAPER TAPER TAPER as hard as it is to not take all of what you have. if i were you, i would definitely kick the habit while you are only using 50-60 MG a day. MUCH easier than 100+. Definitely get some immodium and some ibruprofen. Also, the best thing i have found to help during the withdrawals is 10 mg ambien- its prescribed to alot of people so i highly recommend trying to get your hands on a few of them because during the withdrawals you are going to get super restless legs and you wont be able to sleep- and since its so damn miserable to be awake, take an ambien and try to sleep your way through the withdrawals. for me, day 3 is always the hardest. I always know when i am about to go into withdrawal because your pupils get so so so very dilated. I also found that lyrica helps with the aches and restless legs as well. i can not express to you how much ambien will help you through the withdrawals.

Withdrawals are a scary thing and they are very tough to go through- but keeping the secret of your addiction is way worse in my opinion. i carry around feelings of guilt and worry 24/7. You can do it though, keep your chin up. This storm shall pass. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies so far. What are your thoughts on me going to my doctor? Are they usually helpful/receptive to someone trying to quit with writing a benzo, etc? Also, I've heard that high doses of loperamide can completely curb symptoms?

Go to your doctor for what exactly? Im pretty sure, not 100% positive, but a family doctor cant write a sub script or anything if im not mistaken. I COULD BE WRONG. also, once you go to a sub clinic or detox or anything it WILL stay on your medical records and its a possibility that you wont ever get any type of pain meds again ( unless some type of trauma). I dont know any of this for sure, but im pretty positive thats kinda how it works. I have also herd that about loperamide. You could also try and go to your local head shop and get some kratom- alot of people SWEAR by kratom for opiate withdrawals, I dont have any personal experience with the kratom though. Benzos do help with the anxiety and sleep of the withdrawals, you just dont want to replace one drug with another. Nothing is like an opiate though, in my opinion. I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and my psychiatrist would not give me any benzos because of my past of addiction.I personally am a huge fan of suboxone as long as you dont take it for a long period of time, ive been told those withdrawals are way worse than coming off of norco or other opiates. But suboxone DID get me off the roxys..unfortunately i just fell back into using again, but subs would definitely help.

Only doctors licensed to write buprenorphine can prescribe it. Family doctors rarely are.

Use this website to find a doctor who can prescribe buprenorphine/Suboxone: http://www.samhsa.gov/medication-as...cian-program-data/treatment-physician-locator

Although having the addict label on your insurance records and medical files can be problematic, it won't prevent anyone from getting pain meds in emergency situations. I have never had any issues getting pain meds (both when I legitimately needed them and when I probably shouldn't have been prescribed them) and I've been labeled an addict by the medical establishment for almost a decade.

Loperamide can be used to deal with w/d at higher dosages, but there are serious side effects when you go past 40-60mg. Around 80-100mg, where the dosage of loperamide is high enough to cross the BBB in sufficient amounts to essentially give you a small buzz, dehydration becomes a real concern and there is a real possibility of cardiotoxicity.

20-60mg of loperamide does help for a lot of people to reduce the nasty GI symptoms of acute w/d. If you are already dependent on opioids, it most likely won't cause you any problems. The more substantive issues come up when you get around the 80-100mg and higher dosages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was honestly hoping she'd give me some Xanax or Valium, like a 10 day supply. When this happened to me last time, albeit I wasn't taking as much, I toughed out the aches pretty good. It was days 3-5 at night when I couldn't sleep that was the worst. I wanted to die. Like I said though, I do have trazadone, cyclonenzaprine and ambien. I'm hoping that'll help with sleep during that time....

Gabapentin and clonidine would do a lot to help you, and any doctor who knows anything about opioid w/d would be happy to prescribe them.

The withdrawal will be shit my friend, not going to lie to you. You said you had sleeping meds? They will do you some good at night. And get some imodium to help with the runs.

I don't believe the doctor will give you any benzos. But they would sure help. Kratom will help ease the symptoms, I know there are regulations by the DEA coming into effect on Kratom September 30th, so I would get in on that ASAP.

As for quitting, the first and very important step is DELETE YOUR DEALERS PHONE NUMBERS. Get them out of your life NOW. You will hit them up during withdrawal, and they don't care about you, they care about money.

As for beating the withdrawal, I would tell your wife if she is understanding. You need support. Having someone who loves you telling you it will be okay and wanting to see you get better will help SO much. Do it for your kids. You will be SO proud of what you did and so will your wife.

Your will is going to be challenged. But it seems that you truley want to change, which is the most important step, youve gotta want it. Stay strong. You CAN DO IT. I have, it's not easy, but worth every second to get out of that. Your will feel mental pain for a little but it WILL get better and you will feel that organic happiness again and will find happiness and love in the little thing again. I promise.

One day you'll be giving other people help who need to get out of their addiction.
Message me if you need any support or have anymore questions brother.

You got this.

first off. This is probably bad advice, but personally, I wouldn't tell my doctor just yet. They will not be giving you a benzo like that. maybe hydroxyzine for anxiety, which is a fancy benedryl. might help you sleep but thats it. if your lucky you might get clonidine but honestly, a 40 mg oxy habit shouldn't be too bad. I mean define "too bad" right? but if you do go to your doctor you can forget about getting norco or percs prescribed if you ever get your wisdom teeth out or something like that. Which sucks. Load up on the sleep meds for a few days. Maybe smoke some pot. The anxiety will be the worst of it. Just a super uncomfortable tight chested feeling. Its obnoxious more than anything. thats why people get mad and say "f^&* it"....and o yea, avoid caffeine. makes the already-shot-nerves even worse.

Oh and smoking pot is out. Get randomed for work, but they only test for like, pot coke and pure opiates.

Exercise is great for getting out of your head during the day, especially hiking and biking. I never found going to the gym all that helpful during withdrawal, but I am not a huge fan of gyms to begin with. Running and jogging are also great in withdrawal. Yoga is probably my favorite next to hiking and biking, hot yoga will give you a very real head rush.

Basically working out and getting exercise while in withdrawal is a great distraction and will help your body balance out faster, just make sure to go easy and not strain yourself. A huge thing is to do stuff you normally really enjoy exercise wise, because forcing yourself to work out when kicking is hard enough to get yourself to do to begin with.

Exercise is pretty much as good as a hot bath or sauna, which are also suuuuuuper therapeutic during withdrawal.

Good to know. I enjoy running. Hoping that tiring myself out and the ambien/muscle relaxers will let me sleep thru the night. Question about usage until I run out.... I'll be stopping cold turkey because I just want to knock it out and have it over as fast as possible. In the meantime, instead of using every day, say I use every other or even every 3rd day. Would it make stopping cold turkey easier or does using even once reset the whole thing? Not sure if I am getting that out right. Do you know what I mean?

Def not for everybody but some people like spice/k2/fake weed just as much as the real thing. througout my habait i probably only smoked it once or twice so i can't really comment though. won't show up on a urine though. not sure i'm allowed to say that :/ ..... I never could find the motivation to exercise during W/D. The very idea of moving more than a few feet was a revolting concept. If you can find the motivation though, hell yeah.

that would be apart of tapering. Tapering down to a lower dose will for sure help the WD not be so bad. try to get down as low as possible before wd

No if you want to make quitting easier, you've gotta ease down your tolerance. Tapering would be like
Day1: use 30mg
Day2: 25mg
Day3: 20mg
Day4: ect....

But no using less and less won't reset it, but it will make your withdrawal the slightest bit easier and easier each increment you go down. If you did taper long enough to getting down to using 10mg for 3 or 4 days in a row then 5mg for a week. The withdrawal will be substantially easier. Plus with the limited supply you have it would make the oxy last longer, and slowly working your tolerance will make the withdrawal somewhat even in intensity to the MG your doing.
It's like withdrawaling from 60mg is much worse than withdrawing from 5 or say 10mg.

So if you can, get yourself down to using 10 MG a day. It will make the withdrawal less painful because your body is used to not having 10mg instead of not having 60mg.
If you can taper for 3 weeks by using 10mg a day then the next week 5mg you can definitely quit Mann

You got this!

And personality I would never recommend k2 or spice to anyone, that shit is dangerous and dirty in my experience. It's far from weed in my experience.