• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting meth as hard as alcohol?

Deadgirl

Greenlighter
Tomorrow will be my first day sober, I did it for 3 days last week and the only thing I noticed was I was a raging bitch. I drank for 20 years and quit a year ago. Ive been doing this for 10 months and it just seemed way too easy those 3 days. Should I expect any surprise? I’m quitting smoking also and I started Wellbutrin a few days ago I hope that helps. he hardest thing for me is craving sugar. I was Diagnosed a year ago with diabetes and it feels harder for me to not eat sugar than not do drugs. Does this happen to anyone else and does anyone have any tips that would help?

I've quit meth and quit smoking after 15 years, cold turkey, but have never been able to quit alcohol.

Quitting meth was easy as fuck, though I only ever insufflated. Quitting smoking was also easy, though I only smoked about 15 a day in the last couple of years.

Alcohol though? Fuck no....and I'm only a take-it-or-leave it binge drinker. Problem obviously being that when I do take it, I take it all.

Good on you for giving it a go. I think you'll find it easier than quitting drinking was. What was your ROA?

With some huge events this year and Actually going To therapy for myself and not just to Keep my psychaitrist happy I got to realize i wasn’t born this piece of shit who just cant get it right. I am happy to just exist and not be waiting to get life over with so I can get drunk. This feels different it is just hard to trust that it really is after this long.

In my opinion and experience it doesn't matter what drug your doing. It's all the same... in a way...

if you truly want to be sober you will be, otherwise not.

it's black and white.

sadly
this is very wise. any drug is only as easy to quit as the amount of will you have to quit.

My problem with stimulants was never “quitting”.
My problem was being off of them for a month or so, thinking I’m successfully recovering, and then jumping on the first opportunity to score them before I even consider the consequences of what I’m doing.

Gabaergic drugs and basically all CNS depressants are harder to quit than stimulants

With meth you just need lots of quiet rest free of distractions and good nutrients to help restore regular dopamine function.

Last edited:
Gabaergic drugs and basically all CNS depressants are harder to quit than stimulants

With meth you just need lots of quiet rest free of distractions and good nutrients to help restore regular dopamine function. N acetyl tyrosine is a must. Don't even bother with L tyrosine.
Surely that depends a lot on the individual. I quit alcohol one day when I woke up and decided it didn’t work for me anymore. And that was at 2 bottles of wine a night. Stimulants on the other hand have been a 30 year battle.

Surely that depends a lot on the individual. I quit alcohol one day when I woke up and decided it didn’t work for me anymore. And that was at 2 bottles of wine a night. Stimulants on the other hand have been a 30 year battle.
I can understand that now..everyone is different

Now that I'm thinking about it...the poorest and stupidest decisions I've ever made were when I was high on cocaine and meth.

Last edited:
Can't comment on meth specifically, but in general coming off stimulants is a piece of piss compared to coming off depressants. At least with stimulant withdrawal you can sleep. Lots.

It's the insomnia associated with depressant withdrawal that drives you fuckin insane...

coming off stimulants is a piece of piss compared to coming off depressants. At least with stimulant withdrawal you can sleep. Lots.

It's the insomnia associated with depressant withdrawal that drives you fuckin insane...
Oh yes..like a week straight 0 sleep at all

💤

I've quit meth and quit smoking after 15 years, cold turkey, but have never been able to quit alcohol.

Quitting meth was easy as fuck, though I only ever insufflated. Quitting smoking was also easy, though I only smoked about 15 a day in the last couple of years.

Alcohol though? Fuck no....and I'm only a take-it-or-leave it binge drinker. Problem obviously being that when I do take it, I take it all.

Good on you for giving it a go. I think you'll find it easier than quitting drinking was. What was your ROA?
Today was my second day of alcohol quitting and i had shake's bad and it wasn't meth. I did 3 shots went away. I've always had to taper alcohol or go medical detox. There is no other way for me. Everything else is good but eventually meth next but quitting those two together might as well dig my grave.

How long has /was she your wife?
7 years I went to the ER on Sunday blood work is good CT scan good for stomach after I told him he said alcoholic gastritis without physically touching me. Anyways he send me home with famotidine and told me to take the other med famotidine with idk but it's nexium. Since than I've been tapering instead of drinking vodka and tea all day, I drink 3 drinks at night. Been doing .25 between 2 days. Gastritis is no joke every morning its bloated and I ache all over but the nausea and light head sickens me. But cutting down and drinking lots of water and juices my eyes are not as blurry. I'll probably slow down or stop days but I'm a veteran alcoholic and have a lot of stress due to back and 3 to 4 other major issues. It's hard to be sober when you have a full plate especially being bi polar depression.

7 years I went to the ER on Sunday blood work is good CT scan good for stomach after I told him he said alcoholic gastritis without physically touching me. Anyways he send me home with famotidine and told me to take the other med famotidine with idk but it's nexium. Since than I've been tapering instead of drinking vodka and tea all day, I drink 3 drinks at night. Been doing .25 between 2 days. Gastritis is no joke every morning its bloated and I ache all over but the nausea and light head sickens me. But cutting down and drinking lots of water and juices my eyes are not as blurry. I'll probably slow down or stop days but I'm a veteran alcoholic and have a lot of stress due to back and 3 to 4 other major issues. It's hard to be sober when you have a full plate especially being bi polar depression.
Haven't had meth going on second day. Not planning on using meth besides my gastritis now I found out my vascular necrosis has been off the charts in pain. I've done 50 mg hydrocodone 600-900 mg gabapentin plus my little of vodka. I really tortured mu self for doing meth for over a month being 51. Now I have to go to gastroenterologist and spine surgeon friday. Not in recovery just doing it on my own I have done stints of recovery since I was 21 sorry to ppl in recovery but with all my problems at home and medical issues I'm not going to meetings to be more depressed and dealing with drug deals plus snitches. Alcohol and drugs use to feel good forgetting all my problems but now being older my body is rejecting any relief. Anyways I use to post my love for starting meth and mixing got me to ignore my pains. Now it's made my body worse and mind forgetful and mean. Well hopefully the doctors won't give me terrible news keep you posted