Quitting Marijuana - HELP ME

I understand where you're at. I too have been there. I also used to smoke heaps, bongs, scoobies and bucket bongs. All up I've been smoking for about 20 years.
Then one day I just thought I'd best stop. I felt as though I wasn't me anymore. I spent ages just daydreaming of my past and how I once had felt.
So I just stopped.
I also substituted swimming and jogging for lighting up.....you know, replace one routine with another.
It's now been over a year and I feel soooo much better.
I wish the same for you.

hmm im gonna take the side of the poster...the person who said dont ever try hard drugs blah blah blah blah blah, in his post he said he had ALREADY done hard drugs and they didnt compare...
with other drugs it's easy to do em once and then be like okay i dont need that...but people like me smoke everyday all day....and i CANT goto sleep without smokin first, i CANT EAT without smoking first or my stomach get's all gross and i dont even feel hungry take one bite n throw it away...
so, it's either u smoke 3 times a day twice 2 eat and once to goto bed, or u dont smoke at all simple as that...
but one thing i have against the poster IS the fact that he is making SUCH A BIG DEAL out of his WEED ADDICTION, when deep down inside you KNOW that if you quit it might suck for 2 weeks, 3 weeks maybe even 2 months...but OBVIOUSLY things will return to normal

I smoke a couple of spliffs MAX at the weekend - especially when I listen to music, and have not found it at all addictive - I have no craving for it during the week.
I do a lot of cycling and I have a busy job, so cannot be out of my head at work !
I have never had a problem with grass, in fact the problem I am having is with nicotine / fag(cigarette !) addiction and have found this to be a hard habit to kick.
I think that you are using grass to cover up something you'd rather not face up to, and perhaps blaming the grass for all your problems rather than the real cause. I would strongly suggest that you find someone professionally trained to help.

Hey cool cat. How are you? I was in your shoes about 3 or 4 months ago. I've been smoking bud for about 3 years or so. And ever since the first day I was smoking everyday, 3-5 times a day. I went through so much money in those 3 years. Finally after this summer, I came to the conclusion, what am I getting out of this? Getting the munchies, spending a lot of money, and yea. So I slowly weened myself off the greeny greens. It was hard as sin. The first time I said no to a blunt was the hardest thing that I had ever done. Because I always say, I'm a smoke for life, I'll never stop. And it's hard having friends who are dealers, and always smoke you up. The last time I smoked was two weeks ago. And if I do smoke, it's like a hit or two. Mostly because I don't want to get hooked on it. When I was quitting, I would limit the amount of how much I smoked. Then I would only smoke on weekends. Then I tried doing it once a week. There were a few times that I had failed. But now I'm all good. I really don't crave it much anymore. I wouldn't mind smoking a phatty right now, but I know it's not worth it. This is strange coming from a girl who loves weed, and claimed I'll be a smoker for life, so on and so forth. You can do it, I have faith in you. You just gotta try, it's a mental thing thruthfully. Peace, Jenni...

honestly dont give me this.
You can quit. Its really really quite easy.
Just stop smoking. You dont enjoy it.
Put down the bong right now. Stop. Throw away all paraphenalia.
jeez join a gym or start surfing or just do something worthwhile that will take up your time and make you feel better in a healthy way.
Anyone who says that there is nothing to do except smoke weed obviously isnt really trying.

Originally posted by DiZNiCK:
In my experience taking a small amount of crystal meth nasally or orally eveyday will make it much easier to avoid weed. Remember to keep busy once u quit, so as to keep your mind off weed. In my experience this was effective.
Yeah that is great, quit smoking weed, but you can snort some crystal death and turn into a jib tech warrior. That is the worse advise I have ever heard. Do not listen, because METH is a whole other ball game. It is not a drug, but a disease, an epidemic. Don't start doing that because you will turn into a walking 80 lb zombie. Ihave lost too many people because of it.

Originally posted by aftaburn:
c'mon it is just weed....it is not like it is coke or something..
This reminds me of the movie "Half-Baked" when Dave Chappelle goes to the AA meeting claiming to be addicted to weed...
Plus, if the weed in BC is so good, then why/how do you smoke a half ounce a day...c'mon

I'm from Canada, And British Colubia weed has won the Canabis Cup that last 6 years, it is B.C biggest export

If I didn't know better,I'd say this is propoganda.
I smoke every day, some days I just don't smoke-no withdrawal-I know many many pot smokers,never had any withdrawal as bad as you describe and some of them smoke as much as you claim to smoke...mild sleep disturbance is about the extent of pot addiction, for most.
There is some withdrawal yes,from heavy use over many years,but its not quite the 'heroin withdrawal' symptoms you describe.
If you are genuinly 'addicted' to cannabis, seek help. Alternativly, stop blamming things 'outside' yourself and learn to take responsibility for your own actions or lack of it...if weed is a problem,stop it...its so easy to blame everything but yourslef isn't it?
Please do not blame the dealers etc...just because of wide availibility of cannabis, its like you want to make them out to be the reason you are in such bad shape...you make a choice, live by it, don't pass the buck...the vast majority of pot smokers will never develop the symptoms you describe, don't condemn people because of your own lack of self control and moderation.

psychologically, i think weed can be one of the most addicting substance in the world...
I know people who smoke half an once a day of really good bud, its not that much of a thing...
i think that people really discount psychological addiction... if u get used to being in a "stoned" mindset for years, of course not smoking anymore is going to be hard to comes to grip with... I think people underestimate the power of weed, it is a psychadelic and a very powerful drug....

psychologically, i think weed can be one of the most addicting substance in the world...
I have been smoking pot for 9 years now. I love it so much and always have. I always thought that I couldnt quit because how long I have smoked. Well three months ago probation put an end to that. I thought it was going to be hard but once I set my mind to it, easy as fuck. You could blow a huge cloud in my face and it wouldnt bother me at all. (well all the smoke would, but you see what im getting at here) You set your mind to it and it goes bu bye!
One the other hand, I have a bitch of a time trying to quit smoking ciggys! I hate them, they suck, I try and try time after time but always light one up. Nasty fuckers. Its bullshit how the tobacco people make them more addicting by adding chemicals n shit.

Well thanx for the help everyone. I guess this Monday ill start to not smoke weed anymore. I hope it works... I just need to find things to do in the smallest most boring hickville ever.

Originally posted by Sphinx:
I just need to find things to do in the smallest most boring hickville ever.
So MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!
Find a nice little town away from yours (which is obviously the environment in which your smoking is embedded) and start afresh. Just an idea. If you're committed enough to using your money on something constructive other than weed, I'd think that moving out of your comfort zone into a better place with alternate, more HEALTHY activities, would be an awesome solution!

So do you smoke pot with spin(tobacco)?
Amazed that no ones else is curious of this, cause the crying bit is what has me thinking.
If so then I think this is a major player as nicotine is said to be more addictive than heroin,except you can still function ok in society...nicotine used to fuck with my head big time as I didn't want to smoke cigis I would be keen for a smoke so I'd have a few cones with spin...originally to make it go further but eventually I didn't like the taste without a hint of tobacco :(

I was only into smoking for about a year and a half. I was selling for a while so some days we would smoke blunt after blunt. I found myself smoking blunts at night to help me sleep. When i had noone to smoke with i would chill with my dog and get her high. As of right now I hate smoking. If I do smoke i get all sketched out and lock myself in my room where i wont come into contact with anyone. It kinda reminds me of the beginning of an acid trip. Last year i only smoked a handful of times. I kinda just gradually fell out of my weed smoking phase. I was into Chewing tobacco which isn't similar but it's probably jast as hard if not harder to quit. You gotta distance yourself from it. Throwing it out every once in a while isn't going to do it. I used to do that with bags of blow and packs of cigarettes but it never worked. You just gotta keep your distance. This is also coming from a cigarette smoker trying to quit so... ?

I've been smoking for over 10 years now. I used to smoke weed daily. Now i smoke maybe once a week if im lucky. My advice to you would be not to quit entirley.but maybe start smoking every other day. Then move down to three times a week then maybe just smoking on weekends. I mean there is so many things you can do in your free time. You could play an instrument,go to the gym,play sports,paint..anything. Isn't there something you've always wanted to do. If so then try it . focus on that for a while. its not easy to stop. So take your time gradually and find some kind of activity. good luck

HI, Im from holland so I know what your talking about. Here, smoking pot is legal because its a soft-drug. They call it that because its not very addictive.
Maybey the same as a tabacco addiction, though its hard to quit smoking.
The addiction is in your head.
I really suggest you should take a hobby or work some more to keep yourself busy.
greetz

Origginally posted by: Mokenwee
One the other hand, I have a bitch of a time trying to quit smoking ciggys! I hate them, they suck, I try and try time after time but always light one up. Nasty fuckers. Its bullshit how the tobacco people make them more addicting by adding chemicals n shit.
Smoke ciggs to help you quit thats what i did!!!! After 5 years of smoking, ciggs help me quit better than anything....all u gotta do is light one up when other people around you are smoking.
[ 27 November 2002: Message edited by: realm ]

I feel you...Pots hella shitty. The novelty almost wears off after about the 174658236596635th bowl you smoke. I still have fun getting high sometimes, don't get me wrong, but it ain't like being 13 nd getting allh yped up over some swag. I cant sleep most of the time when i don't smoke, and i get really irritable.

i am/was going through a weed problem too.. i knew that i wanted to quit cos smoking was just so shit, i was getting really fucken paranoid and my highs were fucked up.. but i just couldnt stop smoking and especially couldn't turn down a smoke.

i think you just really have to be in the right frame of mind... it took me a few weeks before i reached this frame of mind... in the meantime i tried to write myself contracts not to smoke, tell all my friends to stop me etc. but in the end i just told myself that smoking was not an option anymore.

i also started swimming which feels really good and makes my lungs feel like they're healing... and i can breathe... plus it takes up some time in my day. i got some sleeping tablets but haven't used them because i don't really wanna become dependent on them thats for sure.

the first night i went to sleep without smoking was pretty bad.. stayed up til 4am when i had school the next day :( but i didn't give in.. and when i woke up i was in absolute disbelief that i got through it. i was so happy!!
i should probably add that this was on sunday (three days ago...) hehe.. so i've still got a loooong way to go. but i'm just so proud of myself. =D

last night i dreamt for the first time in about 6 months and it was amazing. serious.. you have to stop, my dreams were insane. SO vivid i wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it was real.

anyway sorry about that pointless thing.. but you just have to flick that switch in your brain to "no smoking."

also, instead of throwing your stashes away.. give your weed to people. that way you feel kind and generous! hehe...i gave all my weed to my little sister and she was over the moon...

I've been smoking weed for 10 years now and for the last 5 I've been smoking 1-2 joints on weekdays and A LOT in the weekend. I really like pot, I'm always able to get high quality weed, also THC oil from time to time.

What I don't really like lately is the munchies, unfortunately I don't have the will not to empty the fridge at 3am, and I really hate it. So I've decided to stop smoking on weekdays and for the last month I've succeeded. It's been quite easy to moderate use, no matter my friends smoke all the time, I just don't. I haven't increase other drugs use to balance, I don't drink neither (I've quit drinking anything except beer for 6 months now).

I'm not completely quitting pot for sure, it's just too good.
I always have great highs, no paranoia, no anxiety (except for a swiss grass I smoked in January, that shit didn't make me sleep).
But since I started smoking less I must say I overall feel better, I'd say I'm more lucid and reactive and also my body feels great

Last edited: