• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Quitting Heroin, please advise??

BlueberryAmbush

Greenlighter
Hi there, first time posting, though I've done a lot of reading around. To make a long story short, I am seriously wanting/needing to quit using heroin. I've been IV'ing for the last year or two straight, after being released from prison and jumping right back into the mix.
I feel like I have limited options, mainly because of family - they're constantly on my back about drugs, and they're the type that would turn me in immediately if they caught me still using, so I'm trying my absolute BEST to figure something out on my own, while keeping my detox symptoms hidden.
Problem is, the W/D symptoms hit me like a TRUCK - I can use late at night, and wake up in the morning, sick as soon as I'm out of bed. And it's immediate vomiting, diarrhea, the whole nine, like I'm already in day 3 of detox, hits me fast. So it's extremely hard to hide that I'm sick.
I've tried using loperamide, which really helps, and this morning broke down and used a little meth, which may or may not be helping me feel better than I would be.
But at the end of the day, I'm now out of money, out of dope, and only have one day's dose of loperamide left, that dose being 40 pills, the normal amount it takes me to feel okay for a day. I just really, really want to be past this addiction, but I also don't wanna have to come out and say "Hey, by the way, I've lied to you every day for the past 2 years, and now I want help"...
Any advice on how I can get help/manage to detox with no money, and without involving my family? I know that I'm asking for a lot, but I'm not sure I could handle the burdon of destroying my family again...
Please advise??

Hey Blueberry! First off, I'd like to welcome you to the community. We're happy that you finally pulled the trigger and decided to join us. That's hardcore about your parents man. Mine would definitely kick me out, but they wouldn't call the filth on me. I'd like to be straight up here. I think truly getting better and recovering is going to involve a certain level of admission of guilt to your family. I'm not saying it has to happen, but it's typically how these things go. It's hard to hide this stuff indefinitely, especially considering your symptoms.

You have the opportunity to tell your folks yourself, as opposed to them finding out. You have one day of Loperamide (Immodium) left, so at least we have a little bit of time to plan this out. In general, we frown upon excessive Loperamide consumption due to its potentially fatal cardiovascular effects, but anyway. You have no money and your options are limited.

What is the possibility of getting involved with a maintenance program? I understand that this can be a shitty feeling, resorting to maintenance, but when you try and try and are still unable to stay clean, you eventually have to make a change. There are a few different options that I have in mind for you, but sadly, they all involve going to see a prescriber and more or less admitting everything to them. I know it's a scary thought, but think about this opposed to everyone else finding you out. You have a chance here to display to your family that you have an honest bone in your body. That's my advice.

Get back to me and we can discuss options. We will get through this and everything will work out, but it won't be easy!

Hey there, and thanks for the reply!
I know that I'll eventually have to own up to what I'm doing, I'm just trying to find the guts to do so.
As far as treatment, I would LOVE to start one - however I currently have no money, and I'm on the state-supplied insurance. I believe that would cover certain doctor visits, but not sure if it would cover the actual prescription. A doctor in my town just started doing suboxone referrals, just gotta figure out if my ACCCHS covers it.

I personally have been down that this route and at the end of the day I had to come clean and beg for help or assistance. If you really sincere and your folks can see it I'm sure they will help. I don't know your living circumstances and so on but in my instance the only I could do is come clean and ask for help. Cause going cold turkey full stop can have some life threatening circumstances that you dont want. I can give advice on what go take to help with the withdrawals but that will all end up costing money. I wish the best of luck and hope you get the help you need.

Much love friend