• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Quitting cannabis

The link between heavy use in adolescence and psychosis is real.

I don't buy, that's a short cut. An accumulation of self-vilification vectors cannot be reasonably expected to reflect cannabis alone, failure to account for all of the variables is bad enough not to put its burden on the shoulders of everyone else just because that feels good. Assume yourselves for your own choices and actions, be damned if you can't learn from your mistakes.

Can I ask what the "right" way is?

Yes, many people can use cannabis responsibly and without issues. But many people also have serious problems with extended use. The link between heavy use in adolescence and psychosis is real. Not completely understood but it certainly exists. To preach only the positives of cannabis and ignore the potential negatives is quite frankly irresponsible and harmful to the cause of getting it accepted into broader society
We keep learning new protocol. It would vary.

Well as an intoxicant it’s smart maybe mushrooms. But what do you substitute it with.
You’re posting on a thread where a guy is asking for help quitting cannabis and you say it’s a cure all - you’re missing the point.

Clearly for OP it’s not a cure all if he wants to quit

Well as an intoxicant it’s smart maybe mushrooms. But what do you substitute it with.

You seem to think that the only way to eliminate a habit is by replacing it with another. Why is that? I thought you were talking about the right way, like... what did you mean? It's weird that you're asking questions now, it really felt like you had the answer.

If you need a habit to replace it with, choose to engrain in yourself the habit of choosing purpose over pleasure. Every time a craving comes up, step back and do something else. Every. Single. Time. With weed, with cigarettes, if simply reminding yourself why you're not a smoker anymore isn't enough to force you to find literally anything else to do in that moment, then you don't really want to quit in the first place. Do this tens of times a day, every day for weeks and months? Eventually keeping your vices at bay will become a habit in and of itself, probably before you beat the physical dependency.

You seem to think that the only way to eliminate a habit is by replacing it with another. Why is that? I thought you were talking about the right way, like... what did you mean? It's weird that you're asking questions now, it really felt like you had the answer.

If you need a habit to replace it with, choose to engrain in yourself the habit of choosing purpose over pleasure. Every time a craving comes up, step back and do something else. Every. Single. Time. With weed, with cigarettes, if simply reminding yourself why you're not a smoker anymore isn't enough to force you to find literally anything else to do in that moment, then you don't really want to quit in the first place. Do this tens of times a day, every day for weeks and months? Eventually keeping your vices at bay will become a habit in and of itself, probably before you beat the physical dependency.
Intoxication is a book by Siegel.

Considering heavy users, it is hard to quit because they have dedicated so many time to weed that they don't know where to apply the free time that arises when they are not smoking anymore.

I don't buy, that's a short cut. An accumulation of self-vilification vectors cannot be reasonably expected to reflect cannabis alone, failure to account for all of the variables is bad enough not to put its burden on the shoulders of everyone else just because that feels good. Assume yourselves for your own choices and actions, be damned if you can't learn from your mistakes.
Well I wasn’t saying that if you used cannabis heavily in your teens you’re gonna automatically gonna get psychosis. I said there was a link. Perhaps those at risk of psychosis turn to cannabis to self medicate. You’re correct, a causal relationship hasn’t been established.

There still is a large body of evidence linking the two that is undeniable. Even just anecdotally there are many people in this thread who have said over time with heavy use they developed paranoia and anxiety while high. I’m not trying to vilify cannabis, it has helped with many things in life. But using just about any drug long term 24/7 will come back to bite you. Cannabis is no different

Intoxication is a book by Siegel.

So I was taking a shit earlier, right? Reading this book in a series called the Lazarus Wars. Some sci fi shit, spaceships, deathrays, no bang bangs just zoom zooms, you know? Yeah, you know. Anyways, there was this dude named Kellerman on there. Real shady fucker. Ended up being a traitor to the protagonists' empire, kidnapping some fools and sending/extorting them onto a suicide mission. He was a weaselly fucker, you never know where he stands-- and he doesn't stand, really, because he's in a wheelchair. I mean, it's more of a floaty boat kind of deal, but it's because his legs don't work anymore so... yeah, wheelchair.

Anyways, one of the reasons I didn't like him from the jump, before he was revealed as the opps, was that he was always evading direct questions, changing the subject as a diversion... He was shady, dude. From the moment we're introduced to him you just know he's on some fuck shit.

Anyways, you remind me of him.

The Lazarus War: The Artefact is a book by Jamie Sawyer.

20 years is a long time. I do think that mixing nicotine with cannabis might not be a very great idea? I just am very concerned about the right combination of THC: CBD in which there is a lesser amount of psychoactive elements. The FDA approved Dronabinol and Nabilone are in correct doses.
It depends on how it would suit you.
Do not suddenly quit cannabis it may cause a relapse impact on you. Rather try switching the form of cannabis.

If not smoke, then opt for a pill or oil, even vape? Leaving it all together can instigate insomnia, weight gain, or even depression.

20 years is a long time. I do think that mixing nicotine with cannabis might not be a very great idea? I just am very concerned about the right combination of THC: CBD in which there is a lesser amount of psychoactive elements. The FDA approved Dronabinol and Nabilone are in correct doses.
It depends on how it would suit you.
Do not suddenly quit cannabis it may cause a relapse impact on you. Rather try switching the form of cannabis.

If not smoke, then opt for a pill or oil, even vape? Leaving it all together can instigate insomnia, weight gain, or even depression.
Cbd flower or cbd tinctures and capsules are a good morning remedy. Thc buds are good in the afternoon. The hospital will force antipsychotics and cut cannabinoids entirely.

there are many people in this thread who have said over time with heavy use they developed paranoia and anxiety while high.
I think they were that way in the first place, I been smoking weed just about 30yrs, since before I was a teenager, and I dont get those symptoms, its probably because weed focuses the mind, not for everyone tho. Some people are dumb as fuck when high, same as paranoia and anxieties, probably had that in the first place. Just weed makes them think about it more.

They're called spliffs. And what you said doesn't make any fuckin sense, my Brazilian brother. If you wanna quit, best way it's to not think about it anymore, find some enjoyable hobbies and that's it.
WTF?!?!?!?!?! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 I think you don't know what it is when you have smoked weed 2 decades... Yeah just when you smoke your last spliff... You just go for a little walk and that's it... 👌 😇 ♥️ I wish it would be that FUCKING EASY

Reactions: R3K
I think they were that way in the first place, I been smoking weed just about 30yrs, since before I was a teenager, and I dont get those symptoms, its probably because weed focuses the mind, not for everyone tho. Some people are dumb as fuck when high, same as paranoia and anxieties, probably had that in the first place. Just weed makes them think about it more.

Basically this, man, exactly.

That's what people mean when they say cannabis can be a catalyst for pre-existing mental issues. It's not that cannabis directly causes the issue, because it doesn't. What it means is that a person was predisposed (either genetically or otherwise) to a certain illness or condition, and the introduction of cannabis into their body/brain chemistry is just enough to set that illness in motion and/or amplify the symptoms to the point that they're finally noticeable.

Weed isn't alone in this. As far as I know, every psychedelic/hallucinogen carries the potential to "unlock" abnormal thoughts and behaviors that you otherwise would've been able to keep at bay.

Reactions: R3K
@Bare_head

Sorry your thread has been so derailed by debates over the risks of cannabis. If it’s causing you issues the best thing to do is find things to occupy your time, exercise is probably the best one due it’s natural high. Trail running is my favorite.

You can try to taper down instead of cold turkey if you want but every time I’ve tried that I would just find reasons to justify my use and it would go back up. Speaking from my own personal experience, get rid of your supplies and tell your homies you’re taking a break. Best of luck brotha (sista??)

This thread demonstrates quite nicely that one size does not fit all and that people have succeeded with some methods that were useless for others.

The fact that cannabis apparently impacts positively on your anxiety (at the very least on your thought-loops etc) suggests to me that a taper would be the most beneficial and least potentially harmful way of stopping

I've stopped numerous times for periods between one week and 3 months over my multi-decade marijuana comsumption. I always just stopped, no taper. The only negative effect for me was insomnia for maybe 5 days or so and a few waves of boredom.

EDIT also yes most definitely separate the addictions and most importantly the relationship between the two drugs which has formed in your mind.
Nicotine is, imo, wildly more addictive / difficult to quit than cannabis. If it was me I wouldn't even consider giving up both at once. I'd be ditching the nicotine asap and getting myself a nice little weed pipe and then turning my attention to giving up the cannabis when the nicotine withdrawal was wall and truly over with

Last edited:
Cbd flower or cbd tinctures and capsules are a good morning remedy. Thc buds are good in the afternoon. The hospital will force antipsychotics and cut cannabinoids entirely.

Yes that is what I feel too. This routine combination is cool. Medical cannabis dispensaries rather nicer than conventional hospitals<3

So back to my question. Im thinking of beginning patches for nicotine. Will cannabis be easy to totally stop when on patches. Would i be better taking cbd vape oil or eat cannabis to get off it? Or are the cravings jusin my head and i will be perfectly fine fully abstaining from cannabis?

As Tobacco replacement the Nicotin things were worthless for me. Cytisine will do what you want. Its binding affinety is higher then whatever is in Tobacco that does that trick. Can' t mention the brand but its an alkaloid from the Golden Rain bush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytisine

Mirtazepine is very helpfull too but needs a prescription. Its categorized as a anti-depressant. It stimulates appetite and works as a sleep aid through its Hitaminergic action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine

My strenght to you bare_head, mind over matter. The most important tool we have.