Completed Quick survey on the interactions between psilocybin mushrooms and antidepressants

JHPsychedelic

Greenlighter
Greetings!

My name is Natalie Gukasyan and I'm a psychiatrist and postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research.

My colleagues and I have just launched an anonymous survey on the interactions between psilocybin and antidepressant medications. We began collecting responses on Sept 16, 2020 and expect to keep this survey open through at least Sept 16 2021. We are seeking individuals who meet the following criteria:

1. are 18+ years of age
2. are able to read, write, and speak English fluently
and
3. have done either or both of the following:
a. taken a moderate to high dose of psilocybin-containing mushrooms while they were being treated with an antidepressant​
b. taken a moderate to high dose of psilocybin-containing mushrooms within two years of discontinuing treatment with an antidepressant​

The survey has been averaging about 10 minutes to complete, though most complete it in less time. There is no reimbursement for participating. This survey was reviewed by the Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board. They have approved the following advertisement language, which contains the link to participate:

Researchers at Johns Hopkins are conducting a brief online survey about the effects of psilocybin in people who have used a moderate to high dose of psilocybin mushrooms (also called “magic mushrooms”) while taking an antidepressant medication, or within two years of stopping such treatment. Psilocybin is a compound that occurs naturally in certain species of mushrooms, and is currently being studied for its possible antidepressant effects. However, people who are currently using or have recently used antidepressants may react differently to psilocybin, and this interaction is not well understood. Your participation in this research study can help improve our understanding of how psilocybin works in people who have used antidepressant medications.
www.HopkinsPsychedelic.org/adsurvey

Protocol: IRB00254819, Principal Investigator: Roland R. Griffiths, Ph.D.

I can be reached at [email protected] with questions or feedback.

Thank you!
NG

Last edited:
Welcome NG and the very best with your study and also your colleges. You all are doing some of the most amazing research imho. Keep firing :)

Greetings!

My name is Natalie Gukasyan and I'm a psychiatrist and postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research.

My colleagues and I have just launched an anonymous survey on the interactions between psilocybin and antidepressant medications. We began collecting responses on Sept 16, 2020 and expect to keep this survey open through at least Sept 16 2021. We are seeking individuals who meet the following criteria:

1. are 18+ years of age
2. are able to read, write, and speak English fluently
and
3. have done either or both of the following:
a. taken a moderate to high dose of psilocybin-containing mushrooms while they were being treated with an antidepressant​
b. taken a moderate to high dose of psilocybin-containing mushrooms within two years of discontinuing treatment with an antidepressant​

The survey has been averaging about 10 minutes to complete, though most complete it in less time. There is no reimbursement for participating. This survey was reviewed by the Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board. They have approved the following advertisement language, which contains the link to participate:

I can be reached at [email protected] with questions or feedback.

Thank you!
NG

The language "high dose" is rather vague, you might consider revisiting this as it could dissuade participants. What is meant by high dose? What about those who have used prodrugs of psilocin (like 4-acetoxy-dmt) in conjunction with antidepressants? (There likely exists a decent population of such individuals.)

The language "high dose" is rather vague, you might consider revisiting this as it could dissuade participants. What is meant by high dose? What about those who have used prodrugs of psilocin (like 4-acetoxy-dmt) in conjunction with antidepressants? (There likely exists a decent population of such individuals.)

Thanks for your questions! We are looking for non-microdosing experiences, but wording it that way is a bit awkward. Specifically we are interested in the interactions that might be relevant for the eventual clinical use of psilocybin, which to date has only involved moderate-high doses in research settings.

We have also specified psilocybin mushroom products since these are the most commonly used and may be easier to quantify/standardize in terms of the dose (there is obviously no perfect way to standardize this given the variability of psilocybin content in mushroom products). People who have used psilocin or synthetic psychedelics are more likely to have also used mushroom products than vice versa.

would very much like to see the results/conclusions

Will be sure to post this to our website when it is eventually published. Unclear how long data collection will take, though. Sharing our approved ad language (quoted in the original post) will help expedite this work and we would greatly appreciate it! We are also working on getting a flyer and some other ad material approved and I'll post it here when it's ready.

Last edited:
A gentle bump for you gentle folks, as we are making our last push for data collection! Please feel free to share this survey on other platforms or send to friends who you think might be interested in contributing!