• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Quick silly question

Gemz88

Greenlighter
So buddy did 8mg hydromorphone a hour ago. Hadd been a month since on anything they said they should have did 4mg. Led to respiratory issues so i gave them Naloxone for there first time ever. Glad to have it, but also swim took 2, pill of 10mg Ritalin to help.

How long till opiated can be taken again to get a opiate feeling? How long does that spray last for killing the opiates? Sorry if this is improper area just need to double check everything for my friend, i want him to be ok.

Howdy, welcome to Bluelight.

8mg is a LOT of hydromorphone for someone who hasn't used in months. But that's great that people are keeping naloxone nasal sprays around for these emergencies. You might have saved your buddy's life.

And after a life-threatening overdose, I think it's probably best to not do any opiates for at least a little while. By that I mean days and weeks and months. Without that spray, you might have died.

I'm an addict too, I know how we ignore glaring signs like this. An overdose that requires an antidote is a glaring sign you need to stop and reevaluate your use.

An important thing to remember, naloxone wears off faster than a lot of opiates. So while you may be alright after the spray, the opiate is still running through your veins, and may cause new respiratory depression when the spray wears off.

Edit: when naloxone hits your brain, it knocks off a lot of the drug you OD'd on, sending you straight into withdrawal. It's not going to be pleasant.

Your buddy is agitated and freaking out now, because he's in sudden withdrawal. But it's brief. The naloxone doesn't last very long. He needs to just hang in their and sweat it out.

Last edited:
When does it wear off because I gave him a long acting stimulant. But I know he will do a hydro again he stated. But I am forcing him to only do the 4mg split (im the one who is holding his items but if i dont give it he will get very mad) I am just hoping in a hour he will get a opiate affect because that is why he is flipping... I saved him but wowz. I use myself but occasional so not aware been years since i was constant. Sorry if I am difficult to understand, had a massive brain trauma 8 years ago so I will jot it also.
1. Gave them a 20 mg long acting ritalin plus the spray 2 hours ago
2. I have his items so he doesn't od again but he made it clear I must give him one soon because he wants the feeling he is so mad
3 He is accepting 2mg or maybe 4 because I cautioned him on what you said. He is using the little yelow ones.

When will he get the effects I don't want him to keep using until he feels the high or his liver will poop out. Bugger is a difficult one :)

He is getting very impatient because i ruined his high... Telling him he would never have gotten high again without me.

Last edited:
30 to 90 minutes on the blocking effects, I definitely would talk him out of using anymore, at least for tonight.

im trying but hes all snapping, so wait he should be feeling high again now from his last dose then should he. He took them oral so technically that was 2 hours ago. So he should have euphoric still he is playing me isnt he

I couldn't tell you, but I would advise against him using anymore with zero tolerance.

Ye to be honest im trying to tell him to just do another stim to get that euphoric feeling. I was never this difficult. Just hes a big guy don't need him to get rage on me. I read 24 hour -up to a few days till he can make any high. I dono.

Don't give him a stim right now, he's in withdrawal, and over-amped as it is. The spray will wear off very soon. The dilaudid is short lived too, but he'll start feeling it again soon, if he just hangs tight.

Thank you I am telling him I am speaking to professionals, kinda have him in the bathub in the washroom but hes normal now Just angry and wants his high. Told him not to be a idiot next time and this wouldnt happen. Im appreciating the info. I kept the second nax on hand. But I know he will take the stuff while I sleep so I would rather give him one to keep him off my back while i sleep

I wouldn't call us professional, but thanks. Look, if he's gonna go eat something while you sleep, make him at least wait until you go to sleep. As long as possible, IOW.

For viewers at home, you're supposed to do several small doses of the naloxone spray, waiting a few seconds between them, and stopping when the person starts to come around. That's so you don't give too much naloxone and kick off nasty instant-withdrawal.

Maybe you did that, OP, I'm just throwing out one last HR before I pass out.

no but next time i will, thank you guys. Hes going to just take a sleeper and go to bed.

Why give him Ritalin?

Nalaxone wears off super fast, and hydromorphone has a really high binding affinity, so it should not be played with, especially with no tolerance.

Things seem fine now, just stating that, and wondering what ROA the person used? He said it took an hour, was it ny mouth? (Removed)

Probably insufflated, although it is supposed to be fast acting, things like this can be delayed(and it takes longer for a drug to peak than you think)

It is great people have/are using nalaxone, learning the in and outs would be even better, though it is a right step.

Last edited: