• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health quetiapine alternative

Hezman94

Bluelighter
dont say olanzapine i hate that.
abilify made me restless.
and risperidone hardly did anything so im kind of outta option for the atypicals.
i been offered haldol and chlorpremazine before said fuck that.

quetiapine even the extended one makes me sleep im a chronic insomniac
but im getting extreme restlessness and stiffness from it and now have to take ropinirole twice a day 1.5mg.

I got restless legs on that shit as well.

What purpose does serve you primarily.. antidepressant? antipsychotic? mood stabilizer? sleep medication? It has a lot of different functions.

Or, if you didn't take it, which of those four would you need?

id say i doneed the anti psychotic features and deffo sleep as i have mad anxietyyand racing thoughts
lamotrogine helps mymood stabilisinng
and yh i was on mirtazapine with quetiapine at one point slept like 11 hours had 10coffees a day or more

and been on anti psyychotic since 2012 do not think myy brain will ever be the same

Ziprasidone is kind of like risperidone, but could be an option.

Asenapine is a tetracyclic, kind of like mirtazapine.

Lurasidone is newer but I don't know how it is for sleep onset like quetiapine. I don't believe cariprazine is big for sleep. Maybe brexpipraxole would be less restlessness-inducing than aripipraxole but probably similar.

Clozapine has high efficacy but possible side effects. Oftentimes you have to do bloodwork every few months to monitor levels and watch out for a rare side effect, agranulocytosis. It basically is the best antipsychotic overall though.

Edit: I was assuming you were avoiding 1st gen and similar APs.

have you spoken with a doctor?

what are you doing besides taking medication to manage your symptoms?

I've taken a range of APs since 2012 and none worked, until I was put on clozapine for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. There are a lot of side-effects, though: incontinence, drooling, daytime sedation, etc. But it helps. In addition, I need monthly blood tests for a FBC and neutrophil count.

Clozapine is the indisputable paramount antipsychotic, but that doesn't mean it works best for everyone. It requires regular blood draws because it can kill off a substantial amount of white blood cells (disease-fighters). Usually they move people from 25mg or 50mg up to a dosage of at least 300mg.

I would go with whatever antipsychotic your doctor gives you. Side effects can be dealt with in turn. For restlessness, and I experienced this to the point of barely being able to handle it, cogentin or artane or others can help.

Positive symptoms usually reduce fairly fast after first taking an antipsychotic. It can take up to six months for the negative symptoms to improve.

The most important thing is going with what works best against your symptoms. Then, go from there.