• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Quetiapin/Seroquel + Kanna

yst21

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I'm taking 25mg Seroquel on a daily basis. I recieved some potent Kanna-extract (Sceletium tortuosum). They warn that it shouldn't be taken with a SSRI. As far as I know is Seroquel not a SSRI, but I wowuld like to be sure that it won't cause serotonin-syndrom. Does anyone know more about it?

Greetings
Yunus

I'm not aware of serotonin-syndrome being associated with combos including atypical antipsychotics.

Seroquel is serotonergic, but I don't remember it's MOA outside of being a partial agonists at several serotonin receptors. I would be very careful with that mix

Thank you both for your replies! I will be carefull! I'd still appreciate it if someone with detailed knowledge in this matter would share a statement

In my last post, I somehow missed that youre only taking 25 mg a day. That's such a low dose that I'd be very surprised if you developed serotonin syndrome from the combo. If you did, it woild more likely be from just taking too much Kanna. Seroquel isn't an ssri so it shouldn't interact as much as other serotonergic drugs might. If anything, I bet the Seroquel will block some of the effects of the Kanna.

That said, I would still exercise some caution. Kanna is an herb with different psychoactive alkaloids, so it's difficult to say with certainty how the two drugs will interact. I would just start with a low dose of the Kanna and work your way up.

I dont understand how kanna works. Is it just a ssri and pde4i? Is it perhaps influencing seritonin differently then say prozac. Because i thought ssris dont really have any immediate psychoactivity.

From what I know, it has some alkaloids with serotonin reuptake inhibition properties. As for immediate effects, that I don't know. There may be other alkaloids or a unique MOA that gives it immediate effects--unlike typical SSRIs