• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questions towards kratom addicts

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
Even though I've been a fairly heavy user of kratom for over 6 years now every time I hear or read about people using 50g+ per day it kinda blows my mind.

During the peak of my usage I was probably using around 25-30g, in two doses per day and suffered through the side effects. Doses of 10g+ give me tremors. 15g+ is fairly nauseating and the tremors become so bad I have difficulty doing things with my hands. I also start getting a weird dizzy/sickness feeling and just want to lay down. These side effects occur regardless of tolerance. So naturally when I hear of people using 70, 80, 90g per day it makes me wonder if I'm just sensitive to the side effects. I don't really see anyone talking about kratom tremors.

I also don't understand from a tolerance perspective. Dosing multiple times per day seems very ineffective and skyrockets tolerance. After just a few days of tolerance the opioid effect stops.

I only use kratom every other day now, about 7-8g once per day. I hardly feel any withdrawal now. Honestly I can go 40+ hours without dosing and the only symptom I notice is a runny nose and some fatigue. In the past, however, during the peak of my usage if I stopped I would have quite strong opioid like withdrawals which manifested after around 16-20 hours.

I'm honestly just curious if people doing a shit load of kratom get the side effects I do. Also do you even get a buzz anymore? For me tolerance gets so high that I don't even feel it anymore other than mild stimulation.

I've only used Kratom daily for a month at a time, at around 10g a day maybe, and never noticed any withdrawal when I stopped. Had I done the same with heroin I would've for sure suffered way worse. I'm sure there must be some withdrawal but maybe I've just been so used to the pain of heroin withdrawal that Kratom felt like a walk in the park...or maybe a month isn't long enough to get serious symptoms.

I've only used Kratom daily for a month at a time, at around 10g a day maybe, and never noticed any withdrawal when I stopped. Had I done the same with heroin I would've for sure suffered way worse. I'm sure there must be some withdrawal but maybe I've just been so used to the pain of heroin withdrawal that Kratom felt like a walk in the park...or maybe a month isn't long enough to get serious symptoms.

Kratom withdrawal is weird and is dependent on dose/frequency for sure (I guess everything is). Trying to quit 30g/day cold turkey, for me, was quite horrendous. I would say about 25-35% as intense as full blown heroin/fent withdrawal. However I've never had any problem whatsoever doing a rapid taper with kratom (which makes me curious when I hear heavy users complaining of taking small amounts off, personally I never felt a difference just didn't get as high that day).

Now it's at the point where I honestly forget to take kratom some days. I go through maybe 1oz per week.

Kratom withdrawal puts me on suicide watch. On oxy withdrawal.. I can lay in my bed under a warm blanket and at least know it will get better lol. Well you reap what you sow.

Strange you are still getting these side effects though. They went away for me very early on. Is it possible making it in tea reduces them? I think that drinking lots of water reduces the unpleasant effects.

Kratom withdrawal puts me on suicide watch. On oxy withdrawal.. I can lay in my bed under a warm blanket and at least know it will get better lol. Well you reap what you sow.

Strange you are still getting these side effects though. They went away for me very early on. Is it possible making it in tea reduces them? I think that drinking lots of water reduces the unpleasant effects.
The tremors specifically are extremely easy for me to anticipate based on dose. Also the tremors are much worse if I take it on an empty stomach (which is basically the only way to get a buzz). I haven't made tea in many years, I just toss n' wash. It's been so long that I can't even remember if tea made the tremors worse or not. Maybe I should try it again, but fuck that taste makes me gag thinking about it lol.

The taste has made me throw up a couple of times ;)

I've actually never gotten tremors from it (ever), but the first few times there was a stomache ache that knocked me out of commission with how painful it was. I would think that your side effects would definitely diminish once you tapered back. hmm

The taste has made me throw up a couple of times ;)

I've actually never gotten tremors from it (ever), but the first few times there was a stomache ache that knocked me out of commission with how painful it was. I would think that your side effects would definitely diminish once you tapered back. hmm

Nope. It seems distinct from the high, I doubt it's mitragynine but some other alkaloid. It gets worse the higher dose I take no matter what my tolerance is.

It's also a weird tremor. If I'm still I don't notice it, yet if I try to move my muscles I start having uncontrolled spasms. Doing things with my fingers/hands is quite difficult at higher doses like 15g. For the longest time I thought this was a common side effect lol.

Even though I've been a fairly heavy user of kratom for over 6 years now every time I hear or read about people using 50g+ per day it kinda blows my mind.

During the peak of my usage I was probably using around 25-30g, in two doses per day and suffered through the side effects. Doses of 10g+ give me tremors. 15g+ is fairly nauseating and the tremors become so bad I have difficulty doing things with my hands. I also start getting a weird dizzy/sickness feeling and just want to lay down. These side effects occur regardless of tolerance. So naturally when I hear of people using 70, 80, 90g per day it makes me wonder if I'm just sensitive to the side effects. I don't really see anyone talking about kratom tremors.

I also don't understand from a tolerance perspective. Dosing multiple times per day seems very ineffective and skyrockets tolerance. After just a few days of tolerance the opioid effect stops.

I only use kratom every other day now, about 7-8g once per day. I hardly feel any withdrawal now. Honestly I can go 40+ hours without dosing and the only symptom I notice is a runny nose and some fatigue. In the past, however, during the peak of my usage if I stopped I would have quite strong opioid like withdrawals which manifested after around 16-20 hours.

I'm honestly just curious if people doing a shit load of kratom get the side effects I do. Also do you even get a buzz anymore? For me tolerance gets so high that I don't even feel it anymore other than mild stimulation.

No, I never got any of the side effects you mentioned. I learned quickly that while the psychoactive effects have a distinct ceiling effect, the analgesic effects lack the ceiling. Tolerance still builds very rapidly when you take it on a set schedule like you might with a prescription drug though. The withdrawal has really taken me by surprise, as I've never been dependent on an opoid before, just cocaine; cold turkey from a multi gram per day cocainehabit was a cakewalk by comparison.

Even a slow taper is really hard when coming away from 70g+/day doses like I was using. Comfort meds go a long way, but I still spend an hour or two before my nightly dose very restless. That last hour or two feels like days lol. After my sudden withdrawal experience today, I have a brand new respect for those who have gone through full on opoid withdrawal and somehow survived.

This has been my day so far and my experience with sudden withdrawal:
Worst. Day. Ever...

I used 7-10g several nights a week for over a decade without withdrawal symptoms more severe than a runny nose and some mild irritability after a couple of nights off.

Using it on a set 3x/day schedule for post-surgical pain was my mistake. I was only able to get 7 days worth of morphine immediately after neck surgery and significant pain lingered for months. Well, mistake might be too strong a term as if I were confronted with the same scenario, I would probably do the same thing. I would probably deal with a little more pain at slightly lower doses and start tapering down sooner, but with the pain I was dealing with, kratom was my only real option since, besides morphine, most traditional opiates give me seizures.

Sorry about the multiple posts, I can't get the multi-quote function to work on the burner phone I use to cruise BL...

Last edited: