• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Questions on Xanax

poopoopeepee

Greenlighter
I'm 110kg male and a heavy drinker. I know the LD50 for xanax on its own is insanely high, but what about when drinking? How many mg (no tolerance) could I take whilst drinking and still be fine? I was thinking of only have 2 glasses of cider if it's not really risky. But would I be lethal OD safe, although obviously pretty fucked up, to have like 8mg xanax and drink probably 2/2.5 liters of 7.3% cider throughout the day? (That's how much I drink normally so my alcohol tolerance will be high).

Last edited:
i once had just 1 mg of xannax with one beer and i passed out in a pool of vomit for a few hours. Xannax is the most risky of all benzos to drink on best to avoid mixing the two.

It's best to avoid mixing xanax and alcohol but very small doses are not so dangerous imo. I take 2 beers and 0.5mg of alprazolam 2 weeks ago and I was fine (I have a low tolerance too). Obviously the alcohol potentiate the sedation.

The thing with benzos and alcohol is that a lot of people go full retard mode and keep popping pills unconsciously. I think 0.25-0.5mg doesn't seem all that harmful to me If you take a glass or two of a low alcohol drink.

Always start low when you're trying a new substance, specially if you're taking a potentially dangerous combo.

I agree with supersonic89, you should probably start with 0.25mg. Alprazolam can be very potent and it really potentiates alcohol and other sedatives, there's absolutely no need to take "a couple milligrams" if you don't have a tolerance.

Now, if you can stay off the drink and only take the xanax it would be best of course. But still, never take anything close to 8mg (wouldn't even recommend taking more than 1mg) because you'd probably black out. It's not uncommon for people to black out and then take even more xanax without remembering it.

Always start low when you're trying a new substance, specially if you're taking a potentially dangerous combo.

I agree with supersonic89, you should probably start with 0.25mg. Alprazolam can be very potent and it really potentiates alcohol and other sedatives, there's absolutely no need to take "a couple milligrams" if you don't have a tolerance.

Now, if you can stay off the drink and only take the xanax it would be best of course. But still, never take anything close to 8mg (wouldn't even recommend taking more than 1mg) because you'd probably black out. It's not uncommon for people to black out and then take even more xanax without remembering it.
I used to take loads of benzos. I'm happy enough to black out from it; benzo blackouts are fine in my book. I just want to make sure I don't Lethal OD. I'm thinking of pounding about 400/500ml of cider to fend off the shakes and bombing about 4mg in increments.

The alcohol & benzodiazepine combination gets very risky once you fall asleep unintentionally (pass out) or intentionally (decide going to bed yourself). It's more risky if there's no tolerance for both of these substances. The combo increases the effects of both exponentially and not just the fun ones but also the depressant effects. During sleep, respiration could slow down to dangerous levels, it could even stop. Another possibility is vomiting and inhaling it into your lungs because you are too deep asleep to realize or your brain has been suffocating due to inadequate oxygen so it can't save you by coughing it out.
People die with much lower doses of both when they are combined.

It depends on tolerance. Taking 4 bars a day and drinking sure aint safe. Unless thats your tolerance. Nobody can really tell you.

Dont be taking 2mg at a time later in the day when you are drinking. That is too much. 1mg is fine. I have never taken 8mg in a 24 hour period outside of opiate withdrawal. When feeling good and drinking just need a bit. 1mg or maybe another 1mg later on. Too much and you will just fall asleep.

I’ve done Xanax or Valium probably less than 20 times in my entire life, and for Xanax, anything over 0.25 mg made me feel incredibly lethargic and miserable. Wasn’t really a fan of Xanax under 0.25mg, either, but it was more tolerable than dosages exceeding it.

Ya dude, 8 mg of Xanax on its own will knock you out, much less with alcohol on top of it.

I used to mix alcohol and Xanax all the time mostly to supplement the heroin I was doing. It got to the point where I was taking a couple bars at a time along with a few tall cans of high ABV beer and a shot of heroin to top it all off. Extremely dangerous combo. Even just any two of that list has taken people out. It's honestly a miracle I'm not dead. There were days where I would literally drop after doing a shot and wake up on the floor hours later.

The best advice I can give is start small, at most a milligram. And I wouldn't drink more than a few beers. Best to just avoid that combo altogether like you said.

I have a significant tolerance to alprazolam and I still tend to avoid drinking more than a beer or two with my (prescribed) dosage at 1mg/4x per day. EtOH is simply unnecessary with a strong benzodiazepine.