• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questions about Naloxone and ROA

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I have a standard, 1 mL ampoule of Naloxone. However I do NOT have any syringes, having thrown them all away after quitting heroin and pills. I still take high doses of methadone though (22 mL which is 220 mg) and for some reason, it can affect me very, very differently at some times. Usually it's that my dose is not potent enough, but sometimes it's the other way around.

So my question is, if I ever did feel as if I were going into overdose, would I still be able to use the Naloxone without a syringe by dripping it into my nose? Even if it isn't as effective, it could still save my life if it worked a little. I know there are nasal spray formulations which is what made me think of this.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also squirt it up the nose. Actually, towards the last few months of my usage when I'd go to the needle exchange they actually had naloxone nasal syringes as well as ampoules for IM injection. I also know from an acquaintance who's a paramedic that at least here in Ohio they're now primarily using the nasal syringes as well. I believe plugging it would be effective too, the one ROA that wouldn't give good absorption would be oral. I'm going to switch the thread title to draw more attention to this.

^This
But don't forget the half life of naloxone is something between 30-90min I believe and the intranasal bioavailability is around 5-30% if I'm not mistaken and it takes a few minutes till the effects peak, so calling an amublance still is mandatory.