• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Question on prescription narcotic refills paid by Medicaid

Mia.Carlson66

Bluelighter
So heres my question, this might be the wrong site but i will try anyway. I normally get 120 perc. 4x a day for 30 days through pain management. Well i went to my pcp and told her i was having extreme pain in my back and the pain meds i am getting are not working and my PM doc doesnt have an opening to see me for two months. So she wrote me a script for 60 perc 6x a day for 10 days. Many pharmacies would not fill due to i aas 10 days early on my reg script. I found one that filled it. Now the 10 days are up, i have my regular PM script for 120 perc 4x a day. Should i have a problem filling this?

I don't know but if you are in pain management (at least in my state) you usually have to fill out a contract stating you won't use any other doctors or pharmacys for you meds and if you break this contract they will drop you no questions asked. Though I take it you are outside the U.S. because they don't write refills for pain meds(in the U.S) you have to visit the doctor for each new script.

They have to be in US for medicaid. It depends on the timing, OP. Without dates it is impossible to tell and even with it is difficult since different states have different laws and rules.

They have to be in US for medicaid. It depends on the timing, OP. Without dates it is impossible to tell and even with it is difficult since different states have different laws and rules.
Duh!!!! I guess I had momentary lapse of thinking,lol! Well kittycat I'm stumped,I know all states differ but I thought Schedule 2 narcotics a doctors apt is universal for refills. Am I wrong?

I think it's mandatory and the script isn't called a refill. There's a "no refill" policy of opiates and opiods enforced by contract on most pharmacies. Occasionally you can find an independent pharmacy that will honor a new script written within the 30 days and will let a patient pay cash. However, if your PM people find out and you don't have a good explanation, they can kick you out of the practice.

Duh!!!! I guess I had momentary lapse of thinking,lol! Well kittycat I'm stumped,I know all states differ but I thought Schedule 2 narcotics a doctors apt is universal for refills. Am I wrong?

Nope. Federal law states no refills. But I think in this case the doctor just issued a new rx.

Nope. Federal law states no refills. But I think in this case the doctor just issued a new rx.
Well see that's where I was confused. I understand the bump to 6 percs was a new script written by ops primary but they just stated it's time for their regular rx to be filled and I don't see how that's possible if they couldn't get into see thier pm doctor for 2 months. If I'm wrong my apologies in advance but it sounds like someone is trying to use 2 doctors at once and is about to be rightfully kicked off pm. Your PM doctor will find out about the extra script and as I said most states I know of they will kick your butt off of pain management,to many doctors losing their licences for doctor shoppers. Again if I'm mistaken I'm sorry!

I know I can only get mine filled 2 or less days before script is up so I always just have them write it for 2 days earlier..

I've gotten post dated c2 scripts from my dr, he said he's not supposed to do it by law but he was going to be outta the office so he's just give me 2 scripts the mth before. It's happened a few times. He knows me very well and knows I wouldn't fuck around like that. He's a good keeper for sure but he's always in fear of opiate scripts cause it's always the number one story everywhere u look here in mass. I'm surprised opiates aren't outlawed here yet tbph.
Op ur good to fill ur script. I'm on Medicaid too and used to juggle things exactly like ur doing now. If ur on Medicaid here in mass then u aren't allowed to pay cash for a narcotic script, it's totally fucked here since they updated our perscription monitoring program. It's very difficult I'm mass now, even for legit patients who never do anything wrong. Hoop after hoop after hoop. My dr has called and yelled at pharmacists cause if how they treated me and even the attitude they had with him, he told me he was "dumbfounded by their ignorance" lmfao!!!! He's the man IMO. I still have issues but he's the best dr I've ever had.

Well see that's where I was confused. I understand the bump to 6 percs was a new script written by ops primary but they just stated it's time for their regular rx to be filled and I don't see how that's possible if they couldn't get into see thier pm doctor for 2 months. If I'm wrong my apologies in advance but it sounds like someone is trying to use 2 doctors at once and is about to be rightfully kicked off pm. Your PM doctor will find out about the extra script and as I said most states I know of they will kick your butt off of pain management,to many doctors losing their licences for doctor shoppers. Again if I'm mistaken I'm sorry!

Many times doctors will write scripts for patients to pick up and bring to pharmacy if they cannot get an appointment before they run out of meds. If OP is telling the truth and this was a one time thing, I dont think all PM doctors would release them as long as they are made aware it was an extreme circumstance. Some may kick someone out though, even for a one time thing, for a million reasons. I do agree this hints of doctor shopping and will eventually bite you in the ass if you say nothing and hope no one notices, but I re-read the post and the days supply works out. 30 days on the 120 script, switched to 6 per day 10 days early (day 20 of original rx) so feasible Medicaid saw it as a dose change and it went through.

Regarding the post-dated scripts and the 2 days early fill. Several years ago, the DEA issued guidance, which is now formalized legally, on the topic of giving out multiple copies of C-II drugs. A prescriber may write out up to 90 days of medication on a single date (three 30 day scripts each) providing they clearly write out the TO BE FILLED date on each one. They naturally must document doing so and need to be following accepted treatment plans as it brings further scrutiny. So while federal law still expressly prohibits refilling a C-II, post-dating is allowed. Individual states may not allow this, however, and whichever law is more stringent if they are in opposition is the one that must be followed.

The federal controlled substance regulations also do not explicitly state you can only fill a prescription two days before it is due. It is worded something like a controlled drug prescription may be issued and filled once a reasonable amount of time has passed provided the patient is receiving proper care and all other requirements for prescribing and dispensing a controlled substance are satisfied. Again, states may have stricter regulations but it usually comes down to personal policy by the doctor or pharmacist on when to prescribe and fill scripts.

Kittycat you are a wealth of knowledge and your advice and response to questions posted on this site are extremely appreciated!

I suppose there is many differences state to state because I live in DE and if you go to pain management you must go every month and you go exactly the same day each month. So if you go on a Wednesday your next appointment will be on a Wednesday 28 days later and so on and so forth. At least this has been my experience with pain management.

Also Cliffy that sucks with Medicaid because in my state they only will pay for a certain amount a year on pain killers unless you have cancer. So what usually happens is after 6 months they won't pay anymore and unless your doctor can get it pushed through(the word escapes me but it's when the doctor sends in paper work to get an unapproved med paid for) you have to pay out of pocket. It is allowed here but you have to have been going to the same pharmacy for awhile so they are familiar with you.

Last edited:
If your doctor calls the pharmacy and tells them it is okay they will do it. I have literally had a whole new RX written for subutex the very next day and way able to fill it because they pharmacy I went to gave me a different brand than I usually got and it just did not work AT ALL, like I was getting sick as fuck, I couldn't tell b/c they were in the companies bottle not the see through orange bottle. So he wrote me another RX called another pharmacy that had the ones I usually took and told them what was going on and they said no problem at all. Now I don't know if this would have worked at a CVS or Walgreens but I go to a locally owned compounding pharmacy and they have a very close relationship with my doctor so it was no problem, I am not saying everyone will be this lucky BUT I am saying that it IS possible.

Kittycat you are a wealth of knowledge and your advice and response to questions posted on this site are extremely appreciated!

I suppose there is many differences state to state because I live in DE and if you go to pain management you must go every month and you go exactly the same day each month. So if you go on a Wednesday your next appointment will be on a Wednesday 28 days later and so on and so forth. At least this has been my experience with pain management.

Also Cliffy that sucks with Medicaid because in my state they only will pay for a certain amount a year on pain killers unless you have cancer. So what usually happens is after 6 months they won't pay anymore and unless your doctor can get it pushed through(the word escapes me but it's when the doctor sends in paper work to get an unapproved med paid for) you have to pay out of pocket. It is Nallowed here but you have to have been going to the same pharmacy for awhile so they are familiar with you.
I think ur talking about a prior authorization. That's crazy, so u gotta come outta pocket for half the year for your pain meds? Geez if u take fentanyl or suboxone then that shits gonna cost a small fortune.

I think ur talking about a prior authorization. That's crazy, so u gotta come outta pocket for half the year for your pain meds? Geez if u take fentanyl or suboxone then that shits gonna cost a small fortune.
Yes thank you cliffy a prior auth is what I am talking about. I'm not certain it's for all pain meds but for oxys it is unless you have cancer. Medicaid in my state has a ceiling limit and they have even told me over the phone my doctor needs to put me on oxycontin or morphine. These aren't doctors mind you these are people working for Medicaid.

It's ridiculous bro, sometimes I think it's the insurance that's in charge of my healthcare and not my doctor. So OxyContin is ok though? Wow that doesn't make any sense, oxycodone only for cancer pain, huh? Wow man they're putting through the ringer man sry to hear that.

in california if the 10 days are up you should be able to get your normal rx I would think.