Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Question: New Zealand drug law and 2c-x

kizinja

Bluelighter
Question: New Zealand drug law and 2ci,2cb,2cc etc

I was looking up NZ drug law regarding 2C-B and the rest of 2C-x family, (with a view to find the legality of 2C-i, 2C-e etc.).

NZ seems to have, at best, weak laws on psychoactive phenethylamines. Infact the closest related analog chemicals I can find specificly mentioned as illegal are Mescaline and DOB (Class A). There is no specific mention of 2C-B. However, DOB is, and 2C-B can also be known as alpha-desmethyl DOB. A first question: Would the law see it that way?

My first assumption is that the law wouldn't consider these chemicals closely related enough to make 2C-I for example class A in a court of law. 2C-I is phenethylamine based and DOB is it's ampthetamine based counterpart with the idoine atom substitution also.

In the U.S. any chemical having similar effects or represented as a scheduled drug could invoke the analog laws. NZ doesn't have analog laws in the same way (I'm still looking through the law texts), except that in the act, the NZ shedules refer to the listed chemical and it's esters, ethers, isomers and esters/ethers of isomers. Also in some cases a family of chemicals is broadly covered.

My guess is that the law would not see 2C-x as not specificly class A nor a analog of a class A chemical.

So can anyone tell me if i'm right or wrong or have any comments?

(for the noobs: I'm not suggesting to anyone it's 100% legal or moral to go ahead use/sell these chemicals in NZ, you'd still get done over by the law but I think a conviction would be difficult)

(edit: sorry, question makes more sense now)

Last edited:
This is an issue that I am very interested in. Here in Western Australia the Misuse of Drugs act is very similar to what you have mentioned above with the except our schedule has the clause "HALLUCINOGENIC SUBSTANCES (structurally derived from methoxyphenethylamine)" I assume this makes the 2Cs illegal under state legislation.

However when it comes to the Federal legislation the Customs Act does not mention anything remotely similar to the 2Cs except 2CB being prohibited imports. My guess is that it is fine to import these chemicals, but then not OK to own them.

Also does anyone know the legal status of various tryptamines such as 5MeO-DMT and 4HO-DET in Australia/WA? As these are not mentioned at all in the legislation I assume that they are perfectly legal despite the fact that 4HO-DET is so similar to psilocin.

This is me commenting, but I'm not expert on the law. The Misuse of drugs act, says at the bottom of the schedual 1 drugs:

"The isomers of the substances mentioned in this Schedule whenever the existence of such isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation.

3.The esters and ethers of the substances mentioned in this Schedule and the esters and ethers of the isomers mentioned in clause 2 of this Schedule whenever the existence of such esters or ethers is possible.

4.The salts of the substances mentioned in this Schedule and the salts of the isomers, esters, and ethers mentioned in clause 2 or clause 3 of this Schedule.

5.Substances containing any proportion of a substance mentioned in clause 1, clause 2, clause 3, or clause 4 of this Schedule. "

As you can see, it depends on the definition of isomers, and esters. If you get the wrong expert witness to say that "well the sulpher bridge in 2-C-T-7, might as well be an ether, its a sulpher ether your honour, they're just trying to get aruond the legislation" you might find yourself in hot water. THANKFULLY, the New Zealand judical system is about 100x better than the American one, and judges actaully look at the law when making decisions, and hence a judge is very likely to say "well expert witness, you say its not exactly and ether, and hence its not exactly illegal, case closed".

But thats just my opinion.

You can find the act in here, just look under M by clicking the plus.

Thanks, that's what my line of thinking was.

What worries me is clause 5 there. That's saying if you had a 100kg of water containing 1mg of MDMA in solution then you could be said to have 100kg of a class A substance.

Then again the NZ legal system isn't allergic to common sense, only if you were selling a cut powder ie. speed then they might invoke that.