• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Question for you pot connoisseurs.

Strain difference is very overrated these days. I think it represents a sort of novelty fascination with legal transparent cannabis.

People ascribe all sorts of vague intuitions and impossibly complex magical thinking to what is essentially THC more or less tempered with CBD. And even the indica/sativa divide is overstated. Any weed will make your mind wander and any weed will knock you out if you have enough.

Just my 2 cents. Like most "connoisseurs", i'm not a scientist.

Strain difference is very overrated these days. I think it represents a sort of novelty fascination with legal transparent cannabis.

People ascribe all sorts of vague intuitions and impossibly complex magical thinking to what is essentially THC more or less tempered with CBD. And even the indica/sativa divide is overstated. Any weed will make your mind wander and any weed will knock you out if you have enough.

Just my 2 cents. Like most "connoisseurs", i'm not a scientist.
everyone is different so while this statement can be somewhat true for certain individuals experiences, it is not true for everyone weed is not 1 glove fits all it is different in many ways. The difference between high CBD and no CBD is night and day for me. Id definitely not get on with vaping or smoking sativa all evening either, and i much prefer having a few different strains, a few hits of sativa every couple of hours is a real nice way to guide my day , where as indica makes me visibly 'stoned' and i dont particuarly want everyone knowing i consume cannabis lol so daytime indica would be a no-no

Last edited:
everyone is different so while this statement can be somewhat true for certain individuals experiences, it is not true for everyone weed is not 1 glove fits all it is different in many ways. The difference between high CBD and no CBD is night and day for me. Id definitely not get on with vaping or smoking sativa all evening either, and i much prefer having a few different strains, a few fits of sativa every couple of hours is a real nice way to guide my day , where as indica makes me visibly 'stoned' and i dont particuarly want everyone knowing i consume cannabis lol so daytime indica would be a no-no

I can accept that individual differences play a part in this. However i strongly suspect the differences are generally overrated aswell. It simply makes psychological sense, given the state of things.

To me, the degree of everyday functioning is simply dose-dependent. I can appear normal on low doses of any weed, and i get visibly stoned and absent-minded on high doses of any weed. However, i usually keep it to evenings and aim to get really high ASAP, so i don't have that much experience exploring the nuances of that.

YMMV and all, but i really think the potential of overrating strain differences needs to be taken in consideration aswell, buzzkill as it may be. Placebo is often stronger than one might think.

well in a sense some strains are very subtle differences but there are some very rich in cannabinoid strains out there that would make some people sleep all day , its good to have variety honestly thats the thing for me that makes weed stand out from cocaine or mdma for example

Yup I can help you with this…

Forbidden Fruit is good, nice social euphoric buzz that’s perfect for chilling with friends around a bowl a queso n chips.

Blueberry strains can be good too depending on which ones but they’re also a bit stony so can leave folks getting quiet after awhile.

Sour Diesel is usually pretty energetic but doesn’t get you stupid high from my experience, would be good for socializing and it’s shorter duration makes for more smoke sessions which can be fun in company.

Ak-47 is another energetic sativa yet kind of airy in the high, isn’t going to get you stupid and also has shorter duration.

Personally I like OG strains for daytime activities but most people seem to get too high from most of these.

Everyone’s different and that’s the problem trying to find strains that do something well for everyone that uses it.

-GC

.. Of which I'm the opposite. I'm the pot equivalent of a wine philistine who can only distinguish between red and white. I'm like 'it's weed'. 😁

So I wanna know if there's particular strains you would recommend for a very mellow relaxing sociable kinda high -?
(As opposed to the sort where you first get pointlessly energetic, and then stand in the dairy aisle giggling hysterically because the existence of strawberry yoghurt is suddenly the most hilarious thing in the entire universe.)
White widow is a great all rounder imo. I mean I'm completely fucked right now but still managed to cook and eat a meal with my son and chat perfectly normally. If you asked me to recall one thing we talked about just twenty minutes ago, I couldn't, but I'll remember again if I need to.

everyone is different so while this statement can be somewhat true for certain individuals experiences, it is not true for everyone weed is not 1 glove fits all it is different in many ways. The difference between high CBD and no CBD is night and day for me. Id definitely not get on with vaping or smoking sativa all evening either, and i much prefer having a few different strains, a few fits of sativa every couple of hours is a real nice way to guide my day , where as indica makes me visibly 'stoned' and i dont particuarly want everyone knowing i consume cannabis lol so daytime indica would be a no-no
That's the nail on the head there ⬆️ Yes everyone is different, but what you say probably fits a lot of people, I'd agree with every part of what you said.

This is such an interesting topic. I'm sure lots of folks can probably relate to what I'm about to say. I'm definitely a pot connoseur or what have you, but much like an Alcoholic, I don't think I spend enough time enjoying each glass of Merlot, as I'm already so thirsty for obliterated drunkenness after imbibing Alcohol, that I couldn't begin to comment on the subtle qualities of that first glass.

Now, Cannabis is different. I like to think it's probably more like being a food critic. How do you objectively criticize food knowing that with each bite, your appetite willl be more sated and by definition, your appetite will become less... ravenous. We all know how delicious a piece of stale bread tastes after days of starvation, to that affect, how delicious a glass of tap water is after a long work out, the subtle notes of iron, metals and flouride as they dance on your tongue are divine, right?

I have always imagined that, if my tolerance for Cannabis was zero, every time I took a toke off some new bud, it would be different. However, my life has been more or less about daily, fairly regular smoking in which my tolerance is kind of at a base line. I could never have the same ability to critique weed as I sit here today with a large tolerance. I'm capable of saying "this bud is better for sleep, probably" or "this bud makes movies better" and so on, but to note some of the extreme subtleties I hear rattled off by true connoseurs, I don't think I would have that ability.

I've actually thought of this many times. How different it would all be if every time I smoked was like my first time smoking, with no tolerance. One of the very first times I got high and enjoyed it, I just smoked some mids with my homie and we watched 28 days later and it was fucking crazy. Standing here, ready to take a dab of 80% thc or whatever the fuck and knowing I'm just gonna keep working like nothing, well, it's a crazy thought.

too many variables if you ask me

if you're a lightweight and dont wanna get too ripped, then smoke some purple punch - it's on the weaker side for sure and a fairly safe bet for a lightweight high

i like the high from sunset sherb too - maybe give that a shot too? not the strongest but it still shits on purple punch if you ask me

For me I find the nuances over time.. Like a stimulating strain will become apparent during my nighttime hits (yes every like 2hrs I take a hit lol) and a stony sedating strain will show when I’m trying to be social or get things done.

I think everyone’s different too in their ability to feel these nuances consciously and put them into words. Not everyone goes through life with their finger constantly on the pulse of how their feeling and what’s going on with their body n mind.

I’m someone that’s spent time performing bioassays on fairly rare substances in an attempt to better understand them. This becomes a bit of a skill over time.

Also one must have a good amount of time with each strain, I don’t judge effects off one experience cuz so many variables could’ve been in play. It takes time to really get to know a strain.

-GC

Any thoughts on different types of sativa? I've been exploring stardawg, chemdawg, but I think I tried one - Lemon shake - that was faintly indica and I didn't tell much difference. I usually just eat the shake version.

Durban Poison....

ive been smoking on some Cherry Trance from Bodhi seeds....that's a really nice sativa high but not too sativa-ish ...not too sure you'll see that around....

dont forget about Sour D....blue dream leans sativa

super silver haze....

OG Ghost Train Haze that's another you might see around ...it's like a 12 weeker

too many variables if you ask me

if you're a lightweight and dont wanna get too ripped, then smoke some purple punch - it's on the weaker side for sure and a fairly safe bet for a lightweight high

i like the high from sunset sherb too - maybe give that a shot too? not the strongest but it still shits on purple punch if you ask me

Good thoughts on purple punch, definitely one of those more “airy” strains. I’ve only had it grown really well once, usually it’s weak. The last time I had it though had me majorly impressed, great daytime smoke with a good satisfying high that didn’t tire me at all.

-GC

Good thoughts on purple punch, definitely one of those more “airy” strains. I’ve only had it grown really well once, usually it’s weak. The last time I had it though had me majorly impressed, great daytime smoke with a good satisfying high that didn’t tire me at all.

-GC

i honestly think it's garbage pretendicus but im trying not to be an elitist prick :)

-GC

According to this it should be sleepy and its parents are 2 indicas crossed, unless the bit you had was cut early ? (clear trichs)

seriously tho...

tell me one purple strain that is really strong

purple urkle was pretty good..had a nice sleepy time high to it...maybe mendo purps? idk man

purple = :thumbs down:

seriously tho...

tell me one purple strain that is really strong

purple urkle was pretty good..had a nice sleepy time high to it...maybe mendo purps? idk man

purple = :thumbs down:
I can't really remember potency really, but on the 3 or 4 times I've definitely had it, Purple Kush is a strain I really really liked.

It defo wasn't weak though. I remember it as one of the those strains that make me feel, just really well and kinda super-content type thing. I love weed like that more and more thesedays I think, pure medicine

i don't think ive ever had good grand daddy purp either

i like green and frosty

lava cake and wedding cake...those are pretty good wont make you too tired

some heavy indicas wake me up too so that's why i think it's tough to go by indica and sativa - you really do need to just smoke different strains and see what you like

I can't really remember potency really, but on the 3 or 4 times I've definitely had it, Purple Kush is a strain I really really liked.

It defo wasn't weak though. I remember it as one of the those strains that make me feel, just really well and kinda super-content type thing. I love weed like that more and more thesedays I think, pure medicine

you're right - there's a few purple that are good....im not sure ive had purple kush...its been around a long time so i would think i tried some

UW Purps ...i thought that was so-so but i didnt grow it myself

sunset sherb turns a bit purple and that's really good....i think it has a very unique high that everbody should try

OG genuine, dark, stinky, super sticky Purple Haze on my University campus 2000, wow, that weed was a trip itself.

A nice guy shared 3.5 grams in pure blunts with me exchange for the best MDA Pills ever, Limes, identical match shape, size, smell, effects to the original Snowballs which were 200 mg's MDA.

But I bet still widely referred to as extacy.

That Purple Haze though. Wow. I forget just how amazing cannabis can, should, would be.

Makes it a bitter pill. The Orange Bud that time was extra special too.

Clean pollen and soap plentiful.